Can't Remove Shell!

Reaction score
It's the super small Phillips screws on the end of the arm! I have a small eyeglass or electronics screwdriver and it seemed like a good fit but it's "slipping" in the screws. I can't get it to turn and don't want to strip it.

Does anyone know what size exactly these screws are so I can go and get it? I cannot get it out!

Ignore the troll. Have a look at this post. viewtopic.php?t=9873

Most of us have been there.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

dirkclod said:
Is it me or are folks getting irritable around here or what ?
Yeah. fools are brave in forums...if that was too my face there would be medical attention required.

Guys, we should feel honored to have LiLPhantom as our guest to these forums, he's clearly the most intelligent among us. Just look at so many of his postings were he points out what idiots we all are. Thank you LiLPhantom, you've made us all better people by understanding how inferior we are to you. I see nothing but a bright and peaceful future for you.

dirkclod said:
:lol: ? I think :?
not to you lol. Your good for a laugh! It was the trolly guy I was refering to. They are chicken really

When I saw this, all I could think about was shucking oysters.

LiLPhantom said:
wtf... seriously... your an idiot

A warning was sent. There's no need for this stuff. It's just plain unacceptable...

-slinger

Since 'slinger has cleaned house already...

I picked up a small pink screwdriver set at the drug store, it's called something like "made for her," but it's been invaluable in dealing with the various mini-Philips on the phantom, including the arm-tips and the battery door subframe. :)

I noticed mine starting to get stripped as well.
So for $10, I bought an extra set of screws from DJI :)

always good to have extras!

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I already picked up a precision screwdriver set earlier this morning that might be of better use and will give it a go when I get home.

Didn't work there's not enough for the Phillips head to grab. I didn't realize how stripped it was because the room was dimly lit when this happened. Took it to home depot and they were out of ideas in short time, the smallest tap and die set was too big for this tiny *** screw. Even took it to a machine shop and after 20 mins of explaining what it is to him he was of no real help and probably overdue for retirement.

I am totally open to suggestions but I dont think there's anything to be done except for get a little crazy with a drill which is scary with something so fragile and expensive :(

Drilling the head off is an option. I had to do it. But only drill the head off. Go very slowly stopping frequently to check how far your drilling. If you drill too far you could damage the metal plate that the screw goes into. Its dead easy for the drill bit slip off the head and damage the shell. An overhead machine shop drilling machine gives a biit more control. When I did it I carefully but firmly held the motor in a rubber jawed "clamp. Having said all that it worked for me and it has had months of flying with no screwed in it at all.

what a bout this from the thread you linked me to?:
TheITGuy said:
Yep, been there done that. Stripped one of the Phillips head screws removing from the body. I have a real easy fix for resolving that if it happens to you. Also, I tried the screw extractor sets sold on Amazon too, didn't work AT ALL. The head was far too stripped for the extractor to grab on to.
Resolution.
Take a Dremel & attach a metal cutting disc to it. Cut a straight line across the head of the screw about .5mm down, it's not deep if your wondering only a couple of seconds under the Dremel blade. I then used a flat head screwdriver and unscrewed it. Worked perfectly.
If you plan on removing the phantoms shell for anything better seriously consider getting a screw replacement pack which has all the screws used in the phantoms assembly to have on hand. You have 2 out of 3 chance of stripping anyone of those screws.

In an effort to be able to put a screw back in there..

dollerprod said:
what a bout this from the thread you linked me to?:
TheITGuy said:
Yep, been there done that. Stripped one of the Phillips head screws removing from the body. I have a real easy fix for resolving that if it happens to you. Also, I tried the screw extractor sets sold on Amazon too, didn't work AT ALL. The head was far too stripped for the extractor to grab on to.
Resolution.
Take a Dremel & attach a metal cutting disc to it. Cut a straight line across the head of the screw about .5mm down, it's not deep if your wondering only a couple of seconds under the Dremel blade. I then used a flat head screwdriver and unscrewed it. Worked perfectly.
If you plan on removing the phantoms shell for anything better seriously consider getting a screw replacement pack which has all the screws used in the phantoms assembly to have on hand. You have 2 out of 3 chance of stripping anyone of those screws.

In an effort to be able to put a screw back in there..

They are all options. The above one will also damage the shell as the screw is recessed a bit and the dremmel disc will cut the shell slightly too. But no matter what you do there will be some damage to the shell but mostly cosmetic if you go easy.

Sorry I didn't finish my post off correctly....
Once the head is drilled off and the other screws are out the shell should just lift off. Then take a long nosed pliers and grab what is left of the screw and unscrew it. If you get the replacement screw pack you may have to use a tiny washer under the screw head if the shell was damaged in the drilling process.

I think I just may leave the stripped screw in. When all the other screws are out the shell I think lifts enough to get in the iOSD mini, gimbal interference board, plug and play cable, etc..

It will be tight quarters working in there, as the shell won't be completely off but I really don't want to mess anything up. We'll see if I gave enough room to work with.

I applied a bit of wax to the threads of these and other small phillips head screws when installing a new shell recently. The self tapping screws are otherwise difficult to install in new plastic but the wax lets them screw in and remove easily.

npalen said:
I applied a bit of wax to the threads of these and other small phillips head screws when installing a new shell recently. The self tapping screws are otherwise difficult to install in new plastic but the wax lets them screw in and remove easily.
But they are not self tapping. The arm tip screws screw into a prethreaded plate in the top shell.

You're right. I was thinking of the screws inside the shell that mount the electronic components.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl