Can you reset times charged for battery? I got used battery with 0 charges

Reaction score
I have no interest in doing it, nor do I want to know how to do it if it can be done, but I just got a used P4 battery off Amazon and it's showing up as having zero charges, where the ad claimed between 4 and 12.

Now I'm no math genius, but a used battery should have some charges on it. I'm just wondering if I should return it because it seems fishy, or is it pretty unlikely that someone could reset the times charged counter?

Thanks for the input.

I have no idea how or if the charge counter can be reset but while we are on the subject how many charges can be expected from a DJI battery. The theory says about 200 to 300 charges if the battery hasn't been abused but I and many other new users would be interested to know how many can be expected in real life. Also what parameters does DJI measure to determine when a battery has reached the end of its useful and/or reliable life and shouldn't be recharged.

I have no interest in doing it, nor do I want to know how to do it if it can be done, but I just got a used P4 battery off Amazon and it's showing up as having zero charges, where the ad claimed between 4 and 12.

Now I'm no math genius, but a used battery should have some charges on it. I'm just wondering if I should return it because it seems fishy, or is it pretty unlikely that someone could reset the times charged counter?

Thanks for the input.
The answer to your question is most definitely.

Anything electronic can be hacked by someone that knows how to do it.

I don't know how, but I have a buddy that is a friggen genius when it comes to stuff like hacking hardware but the difficulty in doing it would not be worth the effort. I think you probably just lucked out and got a new battery.

I would inspect the prongs on the backside of the battery and the retaining clips. See if they show the slightest hint on wear. If they do, you very well may have got a hacked battery. JMO

The question is, why would someone hack a battery to 0 that they are selling as used, aside from the low price of batteries anyway.

Reactions: uavflyr
Press and hold the battery power button for 5-6 seconds while turned "off". If it shows 4 solid greens for about 2 seconds, it shows you have a 90%-100% overall battery life which in general means a fairly brand new battery. Hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: uavflyr
I've charged my batteries about 4 times, and it still shows 0 charges on the timer. That said. I've just flown to 30% then reached. So possible if he hasn't discharged it fully.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Yea. It's not charge times but charge cycles. So until you have 'put in' the amount of current equal to the capacity it will not increment.

Yea. It's not charge times but charge cycles. So until you have 'put in' the amount of current equal to the capacity it will not increment.
So everytime a standard P4 battery has accepted a total of 5350 mAh (rated capacity) it adds one more cycle to its internal log even if those mAh are put in at different times and possibly with a discharge in between. Is that correct or have I misunderstood completely.

Do you know what parameters DJI use to determine when a battery has reached the end of its life and does anyone know approximately how many cycles you can expect in real life conditions?

The answer to your question is most definitely.

Anything electronic can be hacked by someone that knows how to do it.

I don't know how, but I have a buddy that is a friggen genius when it comes to stuff like hacking hardware but the difficulty in doing it would not be worth the effort. I think you probably just lucked out and got a new battery.

That was kind of my thought, why would you hack something to the point of being obvious. If you're going to do something, make it believable. I'm going to give it a fly the next dry day and try it out. So we will see if there are any issues with it when I fly it.

I would inspect the prongs on the backside of the battery and the retaining clips. See if they show the slightest hint on wear. If they do, you very well may have got a hacked battery. JMO

I'll do that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the tip.

I've charged my batteries about 4 times, and it still shows 0 charges on the timer. That said. I've just flown to 30% then reached. So possible if he hasn't discharged it fully.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
I'd flown mine 3 times and charged it before each flight to 100%. The DJI GO4 App showed 1 charge cycle.

Weird. How far do you take your batteries down to? I normally bring it back when the return to home function wants to kick in.
When I unpacked the P4 after arrival, the battery displayed 1 light. I charged it to 100% and did a short flight down to about 65% and recharged it back to 100%. Then another flight down to about 65% (charged again). Then a time lapse bringing it down at 20%. Charged it each time to 100% and it currently shows 1 on the battery cycle slot.

Reactions: Ernest S
Weird. How far do you take your batteries down to? I normally bring it back when the return to home function wants to kick in.
Yes that is a bit weird, both my P4 batteries add a charge cycle every time they are charged so far from 8 - 25% up to 95 - 100%. There have been a couple of times I have just charged to around 50% then topped up just before flying but I never connected up the Phantom at the half charge to see when the charge counter was incremented.

When I unpacked the P4 after arrival, the battery displayed 1 light. I charged it to 100% and did a short flight down to about 65% and recharged it back to 100%. Then another flight down to about 65% (charged again). Then a time lapse bringing it down at 20%. Charged it each time to 100% and it currently shows 1 on the battery cycle slot.
That would agree with what @N017RW said, you have given your battery 2 x 35% charges and an 80% which is 150% in total. After another 50% or more charge your counter should go to 2

Yes that is a bit weird, both my P4 batteries add a charge cycle every time they are charged so far from 8 - 25% up to 95 - 100%. There have been a couple of times I have just charged to around 50% then topped up just before flying but I never connected up the Phantom at the half charge to see when the charge counter was incremented.
So not weird after all once we know the full story.

I would still love to know how many cycles we can expect from a DJI battery, surely a few people out there have one with no LEDs lit up just about ready for the recycle bin. Even one with the LEDs starting to reduce on the battery life test then we can extrapolate to the probable end of life.

Out of four batteries, I have a couple wich have been charged by me to 100% 25 times. I usually fly until the app notifies me the warning at 30%, normally landing between twenty some percent to 20 %. I will have charged them three to four times from the discharged store value of 50 to 60% to 100% prior to flying. The App shows them with 17 and 18 cycles.
When testing their life, both of them show four solid green leds, that is 90 to 100% life.
My initial plan was to get my batteries a deep discharge and charge cycle after 20 discharges, but as according to their counting system they are yet on their 17th, I plan now to wait until 20 or 25 cycles are shown in the App.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: midcityhobby

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen