Can the transmitter be programmed to buzz a battery alarm?

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to program the Phantom so that the transmitter buzzes an alarm when the battery is low.

If not, I hope DJI is listening and will put this on a wish list.

Also, does anyone know if the propellor nuts screw on clockwise, like most nuts, or counterclockwise, or both. The propellors were put on by the dealer and are quite tight, and I so I can't figure out what direction I have to turn to get them off, and I don't want to try too hard for fear of breaking the blades.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can the transmitter be programmed to buzz a battery alar

there are some small devices you can attach to the battery balance lead that will buzz when a battery gets low.

(the Phantom transmitter only transmits,. it cannot receive signals)

The phantom uses regular nuts - clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen.

keep those nuts on snug when you put the props back on!

It is a good point though. Do any of the mid range TX's like the T8J have capability to recieve such a signal or are you looking at the pro gear for that? I would love to have an LED indicator on the TX that shows me the LED output of the Phantom. Wishful thinking maybe?

Changed this post to a question:

Does the Phantom have two way communication with the transmitter?

not entirely true. you can turn on the transmitter without powering on the phantom and the transmitter will beep to indicate that the throttle is not all the way down. so this suggests that it is the transmitter itself that does the check for the throttle position. it is the same with the futaba 8J transmitter.

RE: Wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to program the Phantom so that the transmitter buzzes an alarm when the battery is low.

If I only read the statement above, I'd say yes the TX will beep when the battery is low BUT its own battery not the one in the Phantom.
Anyway, stock TX doesn't have that feature. My Spectrum DX8i came with a telemetry & sensors that will send the signal to the TX screen and some of them can be set to either sound the alarm or vibrate or both when a curtain level of a particular value is reached. Even though swapping to a new TX is not that difficult but costly. The next best solution is to get :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _V3_0.html

You will get the job done with a small monitor attached to the Phantom TX antenna that you can set it to beep when a cell is below xx.x volts or total pack is below xx.xx volts.

I also use the optional soft antenna for easier installation and convenience.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... enna_.html

I also use the optional temp & amp sensor for my other multi-copter to monitor the battery temperature and the capacity left in flight.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dd_on.html

And since I have more than one multi-copter sharing the same TX, I ordered additional telemetry TX for each.

auck said:
not entirely true. you can turn on the transmitter without powering on the phantom and the transmitter will beep to indicate that the throttle is not all the way down. so this suggests that it is the transmitter itself that does the check for the throttle position. it is the same with the futaba 8J transmitter.

I suspect that all communication may be only one way- you tell the Phantom to rise by pushing up on the joystick, it sends a message to the drone telling it to go up; you push the right joystick forward, and the transmitter sends a message to the drone to make this happen, etc.

From another post:

I am using a spectrum AR8000. It works beautifully with my dx8 radio. All the functions that are built into the stock phantom radio can be programmed (gps, atti, rth, and ioc). I also installed a telemetry module and have altitude and battery voltage feedback real time. I also use the X1 channel to control the pitch of my gopro camera (have a dual axis gimbal installed). I have my telemetry set up to warn me (beep and vibrate the dx8) when my battery voltage reaches a certain point. Very helpful when you are 2000-3000 feet agl flying fpv!

Kent

FrankB said:
I suspect that all communication may be only one way

In a stock Phantom/transmitter, communication is one way. There's no transmitter in the Phantom, and there's no receiver in the "transmitter" (which is why it's called a transmitter and not a transceiver).

On your question about a transmitter low battery alarm, I'm of the impression it comes that way. In the Quick Start Manual, pg 16, under "Transmitter State Introduction", the last item reads "Low Battery Alert - Need to change the battery" and the indication is "BB..........". I haven't run mine down yet, but I interpret that to mean it beeps.

koviatt said:
From another post:

I am using a spectrum AR8000. It works beautifully with my dx8 radio. All the functions that are built into the stock phantom radio can be programmed (gps, atti, rth, and ioc). I also installed a telemetry module and have altitude and battery voltage feedback real time. I also use the X1 channel to control the pitch of my gopro camera (have a dual axis gimbal installed). I have my telemetry set up to warn me (beep and vibrate the dx8) when my battery voltage reaches a certain point. Very helpful when you are 2000-3000 feet agl flying fpv!

Kent

OK, folks. So there you go - whoever that hotshot is "flying fpv at 2-3000 feet agl" - he and his idiot buds are the ones who will eventually get this hobby banned when a real airplane that belongs at that altitude smacks into one of their machines and someone gets killed. It's coming.

Racklefratz said:
FrankB said:
I suspect that all communication may be only one way

In a stock Phantom/transmitter, communication is one way. There's no transmitter in the Phantom, and there's no receiver in the "transmitter" (which is why it's called a transmitter and not a transceiver).

On your question about a transmitter low battery alarm, I'm of the impression it comes that way. In the Quick Start Manual, pg 16, under "Transmitter State Introduction", the last item reads "Low Battery Alert - Need to change the battery" and the indication is "BB..........". I haven't run mine down yet, but I interpret that to mean it beeps.

Yes- just ran through my first set of batteries- lasted a long time, even left them on accidentally one night.

The Beep-beep......Beep-beep......Beep-beep alerted me that it was time to change. Abbreviated BB....BB....BB....BB

Racklefratz said:
koviatt said:
From another post:

Kent

OK, folks. So there you go - whoever that hotshot is "flying fpv at 2-3000 feet agl" - he and his idiot buds are the ones who will eventually get this hobby banned when a real airplane that belongs at that altitude smacks into one of their machines and someone gets killed. It's coming.

I agree- or when the first terrorist attack with a Phantom is launched- remember, even the stock version is capable of carrying enough high explosives to do a lot of damage.

And then there's the privacy issue- haven't heard too much about the paparazzi discovering Phantoms in the Hollywood hills- but when they do, that will also lead to major restrictions.

Better enjoy it while you can.

Remember, when the automobile first came out- there were no licenses, no driver's test; nothing. Even in the 1930's, my dad just went to the government office, plunked down his $5, and got a license.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl