Can the FAA track your drone and match to you?

Reaction score
I've heard a few people who have gotten notices from the FAA. Just wondering how? Maybe something along the lines of being able to match your registration.

I heard stories of people flying somewhere and getting a notice. Anyone knows how this works?

Since the FAA has all registration numbers in their system, they can certainly find out who the registration number belongs to if they find it on a drone.

They would Want to have some good camera work to read your registration number to be able to issues you a ticket
I understand that, but they seem to be sending notices from somehow seeing people fly places. How are they identifying people out of the sky?

they seem to be sending notices from somehow seeing people fly places. How are they identifying people out of the sky?
The FAA seems to be sending notices from somehow seeing people fly places
That sounds extremely dubious.
Do you have any evidence of this happening or is it just hearsay?

Nonsense. Urban legend. Let's hear from a single cited person this way. Reg no. Can be INSIDE Suav. Certainly not by camera; heck I can't even get clear shot of idiot that flies. over my house every weekend at 200ft! and his numbers are 2 ft tall.

Second degree people who flew and got notices from the FAA. It's not an urban legend. For sure, it happened to two people that are friends of friends that have no reason to lie.

It's possible they are finding other ways to ID them, not out of the sky. But all they knew is that they flew, and they got notices.

It is not non-sense at all.

As rockydog has surmised there are about 3 or so cases documented here where individuals were contacted by the FAA via SM and YT postings.

They have posted the FAA correspondence here and explained the effort was to educate on unsafe, irresponsible, and illegal operation not to fine or otherwise punish.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yep, they are seeing videos on line (You tube) and tracking the person down that's posting the videos. I watched a video where someone who posts a lot of videos was called by the FAA. He explained what they called about.

So there are a lot of those type videos. Just search: FAA Called me about flying my drone! True, who knows, because there are quite a few also saying the calls are a hoax/urban legend.

Reactions: cfd701
The ones posted HERE are not hoaxes and the OPs were subject to a fair bit of scrutiny. Of course that doesn't mean none of the reports are hoaxes.

Last edited:
Yes it is old and since retracted as well.

This will undoubtedly create confusion again especially among new-comers.

Reactions: dodoftwogirls
It's possible they are finding other ways to ID them, not out of the sky. But all they knew is that they flew, and they got notices.
Yes, it sometimes goes like this: Annoyed person follows drone to where it returns and lands near the operator. They happen to know who the operator is. They contact the FAA, register a complaint, and in that case the FAA takes action and contacts the verified registered drone operator. If they're getting a letter it's nothing more than someone complained, please review the rules and fly safely and courteously.

Pure urban legend. Sure, post illegal or dangerous flights on yt or other social media and get the letter. Neighbor contact them, get the letter. FAA magic wand seeing your name and address while flying: urban legend.

I understand that, but they seem to be sending notices from somehow seeing people fly places. How are they identifying people out of the sky?

Some people have had their you tube or FB posts reported to the FAA no doubt. In fact one flyer was reported and investigated and the FAA looked at all his wilderness photo's and logs. He was not flying in National parks or flight restricted areas, he flew within height limits, yet one hater reported him because they don't like drones. His youtube clips and flight logs worked for him not against him.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj