Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can P3 Standard be flown using just controller alone?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Shapula, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Shapula

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Phantom3 standard. All i really want to do (for the time being) is to fly the drone!

The thing is I have a windows phone and I keep reading about the DJI go app requiring certain android or ios smartphones to use it.

Obviously, I could go out and buy one but my question is this: I know I'd be missing out on live-video feed and all the other goodies etc, but..... can I just fly the P3 standard using the included controller?

Thanks very much in advance for any info.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

You could fly with just the remote controller after registering your Phantom in DJI GO, but it's not a good idea to do this since DJI GO provides a lot of valuable information as you fly. If you're set on doing this, it would be better to consider a different quadcopter brand.

Shapula likes this.
  3. Dirty Bird

As mentioned once registered you CAN fly it with just the remote. Kind of sucks without the FPV & telemetry though. Perhaps pickup an inexpensive or used Android or Apple tablet?

#3 Dirty Bird, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Shapula likes this.
  4. msinger

Approved Vendor

An Android tablet will be your best bet if you want something inexpensive. You can find a list of commonly used Android devices here.

Shapula likes this.
  5. Shapula

Thanks Dirty Bird and msinger for the replies!

I have android phones that sadly dont fit recommended specs, and only bought a lumia phone for Christmas (great phones btw)
    I was mainly just curious about the whole interaction between tablet & controls setup. Completely new to the world of drones and just trying to get my head around it all haha. Beginning to to understand it a little more.

I've just been reading through the android device list a few moments ago. Will try and hunt down some bargains :)

6. Mark The Droner

When I first bought my Vision, I flew it without the monitor for the first week or so. I wanted to concentrate on learning how to fly. After I became confident with the controls, I started using the FPV. To this day, I still have all my original props intact.

Shapula likes this.
  7. mikep2323

I bought a used nexus 7 2nd edition for 100 dollars on Craigslist, works great.

Shapula likes this.
  8. DJFriar

This is what I own as well. Not only should it work for the P3S (from my reading on here, I haven't gotten my P3S yet to test myself), it makes a fantastic GPS for the car due to its nice size. I use CoPilot ($15, not service required other than WiFi when you first install it to download the maps). I use mine all the time on longer trips so the kids can keep an eye on where we are going.

Maybe it can help you justify it. I also got mine from Craigslist for $100. Its a great tablet at that price (this is coming from an Apple user for everything, too).

Shapula likes this.
  9. Shapula

Thanks DJFriar and mikep2323 and Marknmd for replies and great suggestions. Am totally new to the drone world.

Even though I really want to start shooting some great aerial footage I'd rather take the time and learn to fly safely & correctly first - especially with all the new regulations and changes brought in over here in Ireland which make it sound like drones are not exactly welcome!

I just received a little syma quadcopter this morning and I'm going to practice with it for a bit til I get comfortable flying before splashing out on the Phantom 3 + new tablet in a few months or so.

Once again, thanks for the help.

PS: great site btw!