CAN i fly my P3P without vision positioning module?

Reaction score
HI looked everywhere and cant find the answer, just wanted to know if i can fly my p3p with the vision positioning module DISattached as i have crashed my P3P and that item was disabled.i never use at EVER so i dont need it, any help would be much appreciated as im looking at a $700 repair when i only just paid $1900 for it around 6months ago .cheers

Yes you can. Disable on go app first.

Reactions: jake88
HI looked everywhere and cant find the answer, just wanted to know if i can fly my p3p with the vision positioning module DISattached as i have crashed my P3P and that item was disabled.i never use at EVER so i dont need it, any help would be much appreciated as im looking at a $700 repair when i only just paid $1900 for it around 6months ago .cheers
Yes, but you may want to look at getting a cover like this one since if you remove the VPS module you will expose the lightbridge circuit underneath.

Remove vision positioning system?

Also - When you are going to update the firmware, reconnect the VPS module first before the updating.

Reactions: JoBe and jake88
wow u guys are freaking awesome! i will try and do it now, im going to take out the module but i will stay have the casing in the spot .let u know how it goes within the hour.

o and another question is it possile to fly without the gimbal and camera?i know u thinking why would u wanna right ?just curious is all.

Never flown without gimbal and cam. If I'm not wrong read somewhere that someone flew without cam as his interest was mainly in flying. Not sure if there are feedback loops which will generate errors.

Don't ask if you can fly without props or motors. Answer is NO.

Never flown without gimbal and cam. If I'm not wrong read somewhere that someone flew without cam as his interest was mainly in flying. Not sure if there are feedback loops which will generate errors.

Don't ask if you can fly without props or motors. Answer is NO.
After a crash, I flew without gimbal or cam just a few feet to see if there were any internal damages. She flew just like any UAV without a FPV.
I've not flown her without motors or props, but I think landing would be the only problem with that method ;)

just wanted to know if i can fly my p3p with the vision positioning module DISattached as i have crashed my P3P and that item was disabled.i never use at EVER so i dont need it
Yes you can. Disable on go app first.
**EDIT** Oops ... I was wrong - see post #12 & 13 below.
The real answer is ... No you can't.
You can disable VPS in the app but removing the unit isn't going to work at all.
Take a jeweller's screwdriver and remove the cover frpm the VPS unit and you'll see that the 4 antennas feed into it.
The box containing the VPS also houses your onboard Lightbridge.
Flying without that is not possible.

Last edited:
The real answer is ... No you can't.
You can disable VPS in the app but removing the unit isn't going to work at all.
Take a jeweller's screwdriver and remove the cover frpm the VPS unit and you'll see that the 4 antennas feed into it.
The box containing the VPS also houses your onboard Lightbridge.
Flying without that is not possible.
Hi sir. You may want to check on that. I know you've posted it several times, and I used to quote you on it in fact. Now it has been shown here several times that the lightbridge board is under the VPS module and not a part of the VPS module. One guy even made a cover for the lightbridge board that you can see in the link I added earlier.

Reactions: JoBe
Hi sir. You may want to check on that. I know you've posted it several times, and I used to quote you on it in fact. Now it has been shown here several times that the lightbridge board is under the VPS module and not a part of the VPS module. One guy even made a cover for the lightbridge board that you can see in the link I added earlier.
Just checked again and you are right.
There are two circuit boards in there so you could probably remove the smaller one (VPS) but the weight saving would only be a few grams.
I'll correct my post.

Reactions: JoBe and Oso
Reactions: JoBe
OK so i have put the new firmware from a week or 2 back onto my SD card inserted it into the phantom and after 5-10 seconds it started beeping pretty fast like once every half a second if not even shorter, does it for about 60 seconds then i get this loooooooooooooong screeech sound so i turn it off, anyone know what im doing wrong, the vision posiotioning isoff.

I just replace the VPS on one. Not that difficult. I bought one on E Bay for $90. Bring it over to my shop and I will do it for u. U have to provide the VPS!!

FW update will need gimbal connected.

OK so i have put the new firmware from a week or 2 back onto my SD card inserted it into the phantom and after 5-10 seconds it started beeping pretty fast like once every half a second if not even shorter, does it for about 60 seconds then i get this loooooooooooooong screeech sound so i turn it off, anyone know what im doing wrong, the vision posiotioning isoff.
VPS module is not needed to fly but it is needed when you do a firmware upgrade.
The firmware is looking for the VPS module and comes back with an error if its missing.

Reactions: Yiannis.B

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl