Can I fly in the snow?

Reaction score
hey,
I have the phantom 3 standard edition drone. Was just wondering if I could potentially fly it in the snow. i wouldn't say the snow is super heavy but its a bit more than a flurry. this would be amazing to capture some of the campus at school in the snow! Would it be possible to fly it, or will I cause damage to the bird and battery?
Thanks

No, you have to fly in the air. ;). Seriously, people do it with no problems but personally, I'd be afraid of the snow getting inside and melting and shorting something out.

check this guys videos out, they are pretty cool. Its a toss up, most people will say that the motors can handle some slight moisture, especially from snow...however, the wifi board and main board on the gimbal and inside the AC are very susceptible to moisture damage.

hey,
I have the phantom 3 standard edition drone. Was just wondering if I could potentially fly it in the snow. i wouldn't say the snow is super heavy but its a bit more than a flurry. this would be amazing to capture some of the campus at school in the snow! Would it be possible to fly it, or will I cause damage to the bird and battery?
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum!
To add what @Pharm stated, with carbon fiber props, you could use it as a snow blower. :eek:

You might end up with blurry images, moister on the lens.

Check out the search,
Search Results for Query: snow | DJI Phantom Drone Forum ;)

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: Pharm
I flew in snow for about 5 mins and covered the vents up and it was fine. But when I flew in heavy fog.. Man... It came back down like it went through a car wash. Water every where. That was 2 weeks ago.... I'm still flying the same drone with no problems. Each at their own risk of course [emoji6]

Neon Euc

Reactions: Phil56 and Pharm
I flew mine also in fog and it came back drenched. Still works. Heavy snow also. This same AC was stuck in a tree for 2 weeks while it rained heavily, snowed and was below freezing much of the time. All the dji stickers on the inside of the drone and on the circuit boards have turned red. (moisture indicators). I say go for it!

Reactions: Neon Euc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West