Can I disable no fly zone setting next to a Cat B airport?

Reaction score
My friend has a large golf dome and he is starting to get into renting it out for other sports activities such as soccer, flag football, and kickball. I showed up last night to help him take some aerial photos from inside the dome, and the Phantom wouldn't take off (full gps signal inside dome) I was trying to launch during a kickball game and the phantom wouldn't leave the ground. It didn't hit me until I was on my way home, that I was about 500' from a Category B airport. Anyway, is there a way to bypass this? If I gps lock at my house, power it down, unplug the GPS, and fire it up at the Dome, will I be able to fly in ATTI?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Can I disable no fly zone setting next to a Cat B airpor

As long as you have 6+ satellites, you will not be able to fly in a no-fly zone. That restriction is baked into the Phantom firmware.

You could roll back to a firmware version where the no-fly zones do not exist. To do so, install Phantom Assistant v1.x or version 2.x from the link below and update your firmware.

http://droneslinger.com/software.html

msinger said:
As long as you have 6+ satellites, you will not be able to fly in a no-fly zone.

This is the info I was looking for! Thank you very much. I'll unplug the GPS, since that will only take a couple minutes. Scared to kick back the software, and I don't see a need to fly near another airport anytime soon.

the zones were implemented in 2.0 so if you choose the rollback method you would have the most luck with 1.08. You could also try taping a foil shield over the GPS antenna area on the outside of the aircraft to block the GPS signal which will have you flying in atti.

eurostylin said:
msinger said:
As long as you have 6+ satellites, you will not be able to fly in a no-fly zone.

This is the info I was looking for! Thank you very much. I'll unplug the GPS, since that will only take a couple minutes. Scared to kick back the software, and I don't see a need to fly near another airport anytime soon.

Unplugging the gps will not work. The aircraft will not start up with the gps unplugged.

BlackTracer said:
You could also try taping a foil shield over the GPS antenna area on the outside of the aircraft to block the GPS signal
Smart. This sounds like a new 3rd party product in the making :cool:

since you're in a dome, could you not just take off in ATTI mode? Not like you have to worry about wind drift.

bbfpv said:
since you're in a dome, could you not just take off in ATTI mode? Not like you have to worry about wind drift.

Atti mode by itself will not relieve his problem. It is the proximity to the airport that grounded him. It is the fact that he has sufficient sats. If you check the no fly zone mode matrix you will see that atti with >=6 sats is a no go.

BlackTracer said:
the zones were implemented in 2.0 so if you choose the rollback method you would have the most luck with 1.08. You could also try taping a foil shield over the GPS antenna area on the outside of the aircraft to block the GPS signal which will have you flying in atti.

+1
Block the GPS at a sight you can fly at. Then goto to the restricted zone and take off. If you accidently turn her on without the foil shield on at the restricted site, then it may remember that location and not let you take off.
ALso if you are flying indoors, turn off RTH auto height just to minimise the chance of it going 20m up. Chances that it wont happen as you are flying in ATTI. I just want to minimise the risks.

BlackTracer said:
bbfpv said:

Atti mode by itself will not relieve his problem. It is the proximity to the airport that grounded him. It is the fact that he has sufficient sats. If you check the no fly zone mode matrix you will see that atti with >=6 sats is a no go.

Gotcha, the bird knows about the satellites regardless of the mode, it just ignores them in non GPS mode even though it knows they are out there somewhere. Makes sense.

Tinfoil did the trick!! Still had three satellites, but killed two batteries and filmed everything without issue! Thank you!

"Oh sweet irony".

So many here trying to get more SVs and here we have a gent who needed to eliminate as many as he could.

Does anyone know a way to downgrade to 2.0? Ive tried to go back to the old assistant but it says no updates.

One other way is to call the local authority (airport tower, goggle AirNav.com) Call the tower, tell them where you want to fly. They can grant you permission, and I mean permission, remember they don't have too, so be nice, and sound respectful and knowledgeable about the airspace. Most likely they will grant you permission to fly below 200 ft (Do So...!!!) and will want you to call them back when your done, Do So...!!! Now, when you go to start up you will have to tap on the Red no fly triangle, and it will pop up a waiver block you have to check both boxes to disable the no fly feature. What you are doing is Taking full responsibility for your drone activities. One thing, to do this you have to be connected to the internet(wifi) to do this....and your drone has to be registered.

I live under a very extensive Class D airspace area and fly regularly along the beach here in the FL panhandle with no problems. You just have to follow the rules and contact the controlling authority. Oh, and watch out for other aircraft(real ones).

I'm in contact with DJI about my problem of using an iPad with wifi only and being out of wifi range when I want to fly using the iPad as my screen instead of my phone which will get me on the internet so I can use the larger screen. Supposedly DJI Safefly can set you up to ignore certain no fly areas and avoid the waiver thing each time you want to fly your drone. I hope to hear back from them soon.... if you want to do this contact the DJI Support Chat and ask them to help you....

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl