Can birds hit my drone?

I had one casing mine the other day. Luvk i was in sport mode as i needed every ounce of speed i had to escape it.... well play with it really.
I was going full throtyle in sport and it could keep up. The only time i could get awa from it was it i hit the vertical up button. Was pretty funny the bird would have not known what the **** it was.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dragonfly2016
Not sure about aggressive birds but a normal flock has great avoidance ability. When I first started flying EMS helicopters I asked my IP if I needed to avoid flocks and he said always maintain course and they will miss you. Kind of like when you try to out maneuver a squirrel running in front of your car...

I've noticed when I'm flying in my backyard right before dusk, right when the bats come out. Bats will circle my phantom for a bit and then leave it be. Was scary the first time as they seemed to be chasing the drone. Just something in there territory and wanted to make sure it wasn't a once in a lifetime meal I guess.
They are probably hearing the ultrasonic signal. Perhaps it even make sense to them!

It's their space. Fly with caution. Ascend when necessary…

Reactions: With The Birds
You guys are lucky to have seagull near you. That means you're close to an ocean. All I see around here are dirty pigeons...wish I had seagulls!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

We make wildlife films in the UK (Ibexfilms.co.uk) and have flown big model helicopters for many years and, more recently, drones . Here are a few observations and thoughts.

Birds of prey will likely be the biggest threat, especially near a nest, but also quite possibly in hunting territory.
In the UK it's illegal to disturb them "at or near" their nest site (I'm not sure about the situation in the US and other countries but would be interested to know). The closer you are to their nest or dinner the more likely you are to be attacked.

Don't think that putting on speed will help if a falcon decides to attack you - they can reach 180mph in a stoop!

If a falcon gains height it may not have lost interest - they put on speed by diving when making a strike, but more likely though it's going to just give you a warning.

Birds in big numbers, like starlings flying to a roost, seem to ignore my drone but I've never deliberately provoked them. It would be dangerous to fly too close to a large flock as they have quite drammatic predator avoidance strategies!

Species with big wing areas that are seeking thermals (gulls, hawks etc.) may be happy to co-exist in such situations as there is no threat presented.

I have usually been ignored by birds like geese and swans flying in groups. I don't suppose a drone presents a threat.

Most pilots are keyed up when flying and very much aware of their craft's surroundings, which is probably the most important safety measure.

No guarantees, just my thoughts. Safe flying to all.

Reactions: With The Birds
Hmm. Maybe if we lived in a fairytale :p although you just never know... One time I saw a pig fly
IMG_0983.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka