Can birds hit my drone?

Reaction score
Quite a few times there was loads of birds flying by my drone, and swarm of birds. Can they hit my drone down? Is it something i should worry about?

I flew near a few small birds recently and they flew away. Some larger ones may be nosey and get close, but the noise etc from the drone will probably chase them away.
Its a suck it and see one.

Yep, fly up as soon as you see them as they can't follow you. I fly at the beach and regularly crank up the height to avoid them, and when I am finished flying, look for them and drop the drone in a bird free zone.

I would assume a bird of prey would want to protect their territory so that could be a problem if you flew into it. I have heard that our wedge tailed eagle (females over a metre long and wingspans approaching 3m) are fairly aggressive towards UAVs but have no documented evidence.

Most other birds would try to keep out the way of something larger than themselves and making a fair bit of noise. Generally they are much more maneuverable than a UAV too so I would imagine a bird strike would be fairly rare event.

Australia is teaching eagles to attack the drones. Another reason to seal the borders, illegal eagles violating faa regs.

birds have hit cars, planes, people (Hitchcock made money on that one), windows (windex exploited that one).
Except for those eagles, they are not doing it on purpose though.
I had an .09 cox r/c plane that birds thought was their mother, they would form up on it and follow me around the sky in v formation.
A bird can pull way more g's than the drone could ever hope to, so it isn't likely. but in mass they can't always move out of the way, and the drone can move on axis birds are not familiar with as well.

Reactions: Laidea
I've noticed when I'm flying in my backyard right before dusk, right when the bats come out. Bats will circle my phantom for a bit and then leave it be. Was scary the first time as they seemed to be chasing the drone. Just something in there territory and wanted to make sure it wasn't a once in a lifetime meal I guess.

I've noticed when I'm flying in my backyard right before dusk, right when the bats come out. Bats will circle my phantom for a bit and then leave it be. Was scary the first time as they seemed to be chasing the drone. Just something in there territory and wanted to make sure it wasn't a once in a lifetime meal I guess.
bet the blades were confusing their radar. it's there, it's not. hey robin, check out this magicians vanishing act.

I think you've confused Australia with Holland where the police are doing just that.
news story I saw said aussy. but when one oppressive tyranny gets the idea, it spreads like california fires. Maybe that is why obama is using windmill blades to terrorize our eagles, so they will strike back on their own and he can deny involvement.

I guess carbon fiber props will teach them a lesson stumpy won't forget.

Interesting commentary. On the first flight of my P-4 a couple days ago while I was hovering over my driveway at about 60 feet a magnificent adult bald eagle soared overhead about 200-feet further up. The eagle ignored me and the drone and flew out of sight. Had I been more proficient I might have tried to get closer and get some video. But, on second thought, I know better than to harass an American eagle.

Reactions: Vaneik and brolland
I find crows are the most aggressive, especially if your bird is above them, if I fly under them they seem fine, but above, I;ve been chased away by crows, & suddenly they don't care, its like I left their territory.

I would assume a bird of prey would want to protect their territory so that could be a problem if you flew into it. I have heard that our wedge tailed eagle (females over a metre long and wingspans approaching 3m) are fairly aggressive towards UAVs but have no documented evidence.

Most other birds would try to keep out the way of something larger than themselves and making a fair bit of noise. Generally they are much more maneuverable than a UAV too so I would imagine a bird strike would be fairly rare event.
I have a hawk and an owl that both patrol the fields at the back of my house. So far they have not been interested in my P4 but I do watch for them.

Reactions: Vaneik

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik