Can anybody answer Why do the Phantoms Just Fall out of the Sky?

I have a Phantom 2 Vision plus and I am wondering why do these Phantoms just fall out of the sky with a perfectly charged battery? Mine starts to go down and no control input can stop it. I just saw online where a new Phantom 3 dropped into a lake in Maine with a 58"% charge on the battery. What gives? Any thoughts? My phantom won't even go up with a 60% charge on the battery but flies for several minutes with a full charge.
Frustrating for sure. Thanks
My P3A fell out of the sky at the end of October. It was hovering at 50 feet while I closed the truck up and got ready to shoot. As soon as I touch the left controller the motors stopped and it plummeted to the pavement. The camera smashed off, bent the landing gear and the body tabs were exposed. I sent it back to DJI at their cost, got it repaired and sent back within three weeks. I had requested a synopsis as to what they found and they only issued what was done. Now I warm up using one battery and go through my excercises before flying. The conditions were perfect for flight, no power lines near by, 18 GPS signals, battery at 96%, maybe a slight breeze, warm enough for just a light jacket. Has this happened to anyone else?

We need a little clarification on dropping out of the sky. Dropping indicates a full loss of power and it dropped like a rock. Or did it self land as some have indicated. Two issues and two different problems. If it drops like a rock and fill loss of pier then it is definately a power issue. That can be any thing from the battery shutting down to loss of contacts with battery connectors or main controller shutting off. Need to separate and better define dropping out of sky.

Ok guys ole timer here... Want to keep you craft in top notch flying condition.
The most important features are a proper and clean IMU calibration, a compass calibration, 6+ satellites always and waiting for home lock.
Ok when to do the IMU... Anytime you do a hardware change to repair or replace hardware. After any heavy crash. After shipping the unit and it can get bounced around I.E fed x truck, UPS or postal service. Sensors need to be accurate. Ok what about the compass. If younarenhome and get a good calibration your good unless you do have a crash and change the compass hardware or you do a new IMU then do then do the compass. If their are no issues the the compass would only require recalibration if you change your location over terrain 50-100 miles away as that is when their may be a deviation in the earths magnetic field with the terrain.
After every flight check the props and motors to see that they are not getting hot and spin freely with the same resistance. Keep the props in good shape.
Don't store your batteries at a 100% charge store at 40-50%. And only take of with a fully charged battery. Watch the battery behavior always. When they start dropping from a higher percent to a much lower percentage fast then time to replace. If the battery hits 20% she's headed home but at 8% she will auto land and make no difference where or what's under her she comming down.... Can be good or can be really bad. Most of time bad.. She can be over water a highway road or such.. You have no control and you have to find her.
Check every few flights to make sure your motors start together and stop together. If one is out, time for maintenance. Clean thos contacts on the batteries and battery compartment once in a while. A bad or dirty contact she can drop out of the sky on loss of power. That really bad. Just pick up pieces and go home crying.
Do your preflight and post flight checklist just like a pilot does on his plane and it will help keep you safely in the air. Enjoy flying and treat your craft well and she'll be good to you. Have a happy year of flying!

Well after over 100 flights,mine fell out of the sky,it was not pilot error,it was not total power failure as the props were still turning. The phantom just took a nose dive and crashed.
Very little damage, but I concluded motor or ESC failure, and replaced all motors and ESCs with newer versions.
I have had 50 flights since and no problem,may have been VRS on descent. Any ideas?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl