Can a 4s battery be used? (1.1.1)

Reaction score
This is more of a technical 'want to know' than any real plans to do so. But, what would stop the use of a 4s battery for some more aggressive flying? I'm not up to snuff on the ESCs, but does the 1.1.1 use the e300 system? If so, I'd assume everything could handle a 4s just fine, no?

Some people have had luck just plugging in a 4S battery. The pdb and voltage regulator are fine with it, but the Phantom ESCs are only rated to 3S, and there were reports that they would burn out at higher power. The more careful folks have replaced the capacitor on the ESC with a larger one to handle the load.

ElGuano said:
Some people have had luck just plugging in a 4S battery. The pdb and voltage regulator are fine with it, but the Phantom ESCs are only rated to 3S, and there were reports that they would burn out at higher power. The more careful folks have replaced the capacitor on the ESC with a larger one to handle the load.

So, if one were inclined to do so, they could strip an 'off the shelf' ESC of it's protective case and put it in the Phantom, no? That is, assuming they found an effective way to mount them in the legs?

Howzit said:
ElGuano said:

So, if one were inclined to do so, they could strip an 'off the shelf' ESC of it's protective case and put it in the Phantom, no? That is, assuming they found an effective way to mount them in the legs?
Yep, the easy way to do it is to replace the ESCs with ones that are rated for 4S from the factory. You'll lose your orientation LEDs though.

ElGuano said:
Howzit said:
ElGuano said:

Yep, the easy way to do it is to replace the ESCs with ones that are rated for 4S from the factory. You'll lose your orientation LEDs though.

Hell, one day I may do it just to get rid of the toy-like flashy lights. lol.

Howzit said:
Hell, one day I may do it just to get rid of the toy-like flashy lights. lol.

That's my only beef with this thing--those stinking lights! At least they aren't strobing. I did order a 2000 lumen light for some fun times to freak the onlookers out at night.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl