Campaign for the replacement of all P3A /Ps with old motors and shells

Where is that plastics engineer that worked for Mattel most of his career? I don't remember if he was on this forum or another one, but he had a plausible theory regarding the cracks;
If DJI is using recycled plastics in their production (which he says most companies are doing), they could have had either a batch of bad recycled plastic that was too brittle, or they could have inadvertently mixed in too much recycled plastic in a single production run. Recycled plastic is quite brittle, according to this guy, and too much could cause the cracking. This makes the most sense to me, but I know nothing about plastics.

Well that wasn't me but I have worked with injection moulding in the past.
They often use regrind which are the sprues and inperfect mouldings. Virgin plastic gives a better result but quality varies between different makes and even batches.
Many other things come into play. Cooling time makes a big difference. The longer the cycle the better but the less you get out in a day.
I was shocked when I examined Dyson vacuum cleaners. I was horrified by the flow marks in the plastic. I scrapped far better quality mouldings than that.

Well that wasn't me but I have worked with injection moulding in the past.
They often use regrind which are the sprues and inperfect mouldings. Virgin plastic gives a better result but quality varies between different makes and even batches.
Many other things come into play. Cooling time makes a big difference. The longer the cycle the better but the less you get out in a day.
I was shocked when I examined Dyson vacuum cleaners. I was horrified by the flow marks in the plastic. I scrapped far better quality mouldings than that.
Yes! "Regrind" was the term he used as well when talking about what might cause the brittleness.
And that must explain why the handle broke off my ridiculously expensive Dyson after a year of use.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
None of the previous DJI models you mention had issues with cracks developing.
This gist of this thread, at least as I see it, is not about wanting an "upgraded" motor to replace the stock one, but wanting DJI to recognize there is a problem with some (a limited number?) of the shells and if their new motors was a "fix" to that issue, then they should offer the "fix" to all who purchased before the "fix" was implemented.
Since DJI remains silent on this, nobody really knows why the change was made in motors.
Anecdotal evidence also indicates the shell's design was changed since the initial release, and the new shells appear to be stronger and more reinforced - again adding to the suspicion that DJI is aware of a problem, fixed it, but refuses to address or acknowledge the problem.
IMO, DJI needs to speak about this issue and either deny or validate the problem and reiterate that any failed frame will be replaced by DJI. The fact that they remain quite while implementing design changes in both the shell and motors just makes this all look suspicious.
Thats it correct i could not have put it better my self.

Ok, there are 20 different types of bias. I'll list the ones that a poll and a handful of threads being used as a good sample are subject to.

1 anchor bias
An over reliance on the first piece on info you hear
The poll is subject to that as the first line in most of the polls is "there is a cracking issue". Very few start "there is no issue"

2 availability bias
Overestimating the info available to you.
So a few hundred maybe people write about a cracking issue so most of the available data says that. But that's because you don't have data from the 100'000s of people who don't have any problems.

3 bandwagon effect
When one person is vocal about a view in a convincing way he creates followers, who are also vocal. This is how extremists, suicide pacts etc happen.
So everyone with a crack is understandable annoyed. Then someone shouts "hey if we get a petition you'll all get new P3's with more efficient motors and new shells" great! Of course poeople pile in! I'd love one to (I also have the first gen shell and old motors) do I think I have a right to one based in the fact I have no problems and it performs as advertised and to the specs listed? Of course not!

4 confirmation bias
Giving more weight to the results that confirm what you want to believe and ignoring those which discredit it.
Eg calling anyone who states they don't have problems a DJI fan rather than giving their result equal importance to those that don't.

5 selective perception
Allowing our expectations to perceive how we view the world.
Let's be honest everyone starting one of these polls expected it to prove there was a problem. I doubt any of them set it up because they genuinely weren't sure and wanted to find out.

Then there's the sample (people that took part) these should be picked as randomly as possible. The problems with this were:

1 they weren't picked! They selected to take part. Someone with cracks WILL take the trouble to "vote" as they want to moan, air there annoyance and hopefully get something out of it! People without crack won't, as they wont get anything out of it so they won't give a toss.

2 this hope that all pre a certain date models will be replaced would mean even people without cracks may say they do have cracks as they may get a new P3 with more efficient motors out of it.

3 How many people with a crack do you think found the poll googling searching "P3 crack"? Now how many people without a crack do you think googled "P3 crack"

4 how many forum users with a crack do you think opened a thread called "P3 crack"? How many users without a crack do you think opened the same thread?

Finally your sample size is way too small to be statistically valid. I don't know how many P3's have been sold or how many people answered the poll, if you do plug it in here.
Sample Size Calculator - Confidence Level, Confidence Interval, Sample Size, Population Size, Relevant Population - Creative Research Systems

I use 95% for most of my projects. Now let's assume just 10'000 P3's have been sold. To be 95% certain (+ or - 2%) your getting a true representation from your sample you'd need to get answers from close to 2'000 people. That's assuming of course you correct all the above biases and sample selection problems.

So Ayrtonginster, that's why I think the poll is absolute rubbish and can go in the bin.i hope this explains it.

To your other points the P3 is the only DJI product I have ever purchased so I wouldn't say I'm blinded by loyalty.

You state 1 in 3 P3's have cracks, I'd love to see you post where you got that data from!
On point 4 actually the opposite has happened... people called the thread "stupid" and a lot of other direct and indirect descerditation attemps where made plus DJI FB forum sensorship as they blocked and deleted the post there... but its ok the admin there is a very cool family man that is just doing his job i got in touch with him.

Amazon just delivered my P3P and the model stickers show W323 not W323A and the picture on the front shows the old motors.

Should I send it back or open it and fly it?

My first phantom...
I got my P3A from an Amazon DJI dealer 2 weeks ago and got the old motors and shell. I've flown it a ton in the last 2 weeks and haven't noticed any shell cracks. I don't feel like going through the trouble to return it when I could be flying it. Fly it and be happy is what I think. If I do develop cracks then I'll let DJI fix it under warranty.

Just go fly the thing bro. Each moment has its offering. Even the so called bad ones.
Like all of us, you may have fallen prey to marketing psychology at times, this may be one. There's also that psychological effect social media, forums and the like can have.
General experience hints at you having acquired a piece of equipment with fascinating possibilities, which appears generally to have served very reliably, well.
There's flying, there's photography and cinematography at your disposal. Give one or all a shot, or get shot of it!
If it crashes, remember the joy you have had and is thus part of your life.

Do pre check the craft before all flights and after.
Do check RTH minimum flight height and your flight path and area.
Do progress through the flight modes in time.

Worry is a stimulus to stop, or let go. ...probably something in that direction.

Best wishes
This is a very esoteric point of view thank you and i will try to overcome my fear and go fly again but attached i put for u my invoice and that is not esoteric at all but burned a whole though my pocket so that i can fly this bird that i love and take care like a baby and i don't want to leave anything to chance. So along with the invoice i put some pics in for u to see all the protective extras i have put in and other extras (HDMI module, Nebula googles, latest tablet from Huawei and more) make my experience more fun, but DJIs attitude and some people here trying to prove me insane... drives me even more to just keep coming back.

Attachments

• 1446344952018.jpg
    1446344952018.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 1446344963553.jpg
    1446344963553.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 1446344993563.jpg
    1446344993563.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 291
  • 1446345016884.jpg
    1446345016884.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 1446345034740.jpg
    1446345034740.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 1446345066167.jpg
    1446345066167.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
At the risk of being called out as a DJI fanboy (which I'm not) their Facebook page says "Welcome to DJI. Be inspired from a new perspective. Join us as a creator, share your moments, all captured by DJI products." It doesn't invite criticism or individual redress for faulty gear. They probably see complaints as party poopers which the bouncers swiftly see to the door.

Perhaps they should have a second Facebook page which specifically invites input for problems, much like our forum. Perhaps they prefer 1:1 with complainers - which right minded company wouldn't!

I don't see any conspiracy of silence, and if the same party pooper crashes into the happy times more than once it is no surprise to me that they are blocked for acting like the bad fairy godmother at Sleeping Beauty's baptism.

That said, I am not impressed (from the sidelines) with DJI's customer service or product quality as observed through this forum. Where I starting again I would seriously scope the opposition before throwing good money at them.

Reactions: QaaUz
This is a very esoteric point of view thank you and i will try to overcome my fear and go fly again but attached i put for u my invoice and that is not esoteric at all but burned a whole though my pocket so that i can fly this bird that i love and take care like a baby and i don't want to leave anything to chance. So along with the invoice i put some pics in for u to see all the protective extras i have put in and other extras (HDMI module, Nebula googles, latest tablet from Huawei and more) make my experience more fun, but DJIs attitude and some people here trying to prove me insane... drives me even more to just keep coming back.

The point that I keep seeing through this thread is that if your product actually was faulty in the area of the shell or motors, then people would be saying right on, DJI should replace that. Instead you seem to have a perfectly good product (along with some nice extras) that has the potential to have a problem. That is why I believe people are "trying to prove you insane". You already appear to be documenting your experience. Why not fly, keep documentation, and if anything happens you will have a log of proof for your legitimate claim. I can't really see DJI replacing products on what could happen scenarios. They would simply go out of business.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Meta4
The point that I keep seeing through this thread is that if your product actually was faulty in the area of the shell or motors, then people would be saying right on, DJI should replace that. Instead you seem to have a perfectly good product (along with some nice extras) that has the potential to have a problem. That is why I believe people are "trying to prove you insane". You already appear to be documenting your experience. Why not fly, keep documentation, and if anything happens you will have a log of proof for your legitimate claim. I can't really see DJI replacing products on what could happen scenarios. They would simply go out of business.

Happy flying!
My good man do not take this argumentative line as others have done too it is u that going in circles. The point is simple and the ask more simple dont make me repeat it for a 100th time pls.
All possible defective batches should be IDed (DJI a has to find a way) and on voluntary bases replaced. It does not matter if mine works fine now that is not the point. There is a known issue and therefore proactive action is required by the vendor as per international product assurance practices, what you suggest and descive is a reactive action for a know issue that probably affects a large number of the deployed product estate. Well the latter is just wrong. If there was no known issue then what you describe stands and by the way if u pay attention to the thread i did mentioned i contacted DJI
suport via email and on the support FB forum. So my bird is not the case, the broken birds make the case plus the new "more stable motors" so my bird has to be free of the known issue/risk i.e. new more durable shell and enhance stability with new motors (regardless or not this was a BTL marcom campaign exaduration which by the way in the UK is against fair trade regulatiotions). At the end of the day if you don't want your bird to be replaced then fine but leave the rest of us paying customers to have our ASK voiced too.

Last edited:
just one cuestion to some one WHO knows the answer! is 100% sure My phantom 3 professional with the Old motors is Will crack? in Some were...

My original post was deleted from the DJI official Facebook forum but others are asking the same questions now too... lets see for how long this post stays uncensored over there...

Attachments

• 1446390796211.jpg
    1446390796211.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 258
There's no evidence that there's any problem with the original motors or that cracks in shells is related to motors at all.
Since there are so many P3s with original motors flying safely and exhibiting no shell cracking, it's much more likely that the cracking is just an issue with some batches of shell moulding.
If you have a problem with shell cracking, DJI will replace that.

As for more stable and balanced, that sounds like marketing spin.
Manufacturers make small changes in production runs all the time and the new motors are just another.
Perhaps they are cheaper, or the old ones got more expensive or are no longer available or maybe they are "more efficient" but that sounds a lot like marketing spin too.
I've never noticed any issues related to some sort of lack of stability or balance on mine.
I don't see any indication that you have a problem with yours either - just fear based on paranoid forum factoids.
I pretty much agree. I've had mine with 336 flight times so far and don't have the issue of cracking.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
Yes they have and there is another thread in this forum of a similar case
DJI blocked it along with many others...
Nobody said about replacing all pre September P3s just make public to their customers the SNs from defective batches they could do this discreetly via the official dealers...
Thats right brother and then the blocking of people's posts on their FB page... there are more complaining that their posts where deleted by DJI and one guy in this forum said he was "threatened by DJI " for posting on FB
And if it falls on your kid"s head or somebody's head pls tell them u knew about the risk but hey the odds where slim...
And if it falls on your kid"s head or somebody's head pls tell them u knew about the risk but hey the odds where slim...
The ask is simple here my friend and is not to get an improved model for free... the ask here is DJI to communicate to their customers or their official dealers of the defective SNs of the batch or batches that came out of the production line with the risk of shell cracking and "new more stable motors" stability=safety not better features. I happen to work in a telecom multinational and i detailed an entire customer journey that we do replacing free of charge defective production batches of smartphones....
You have any thing to prove that the new motors are just to reduce production costs?
A bit off topic, but i figured i would let you know, you do know you can reply to more than one post in the same message, right? I figured i would let you know, because i see you doing each reply in an individual post & it seems personally like a hassle if it were me.

A bit off topic, but i figured i would let you know, you do know you can reply to more than one post in the same message, right? I figured i would let you know, because i see you doing each reply in an individual post & it seems personally like a hassle if it were me.
I dont know how to do that from my smartphone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart