Camera Gimbal gone crazy - P4 Scare & Questions

Reaction score
Last week I was at a resort in Cabo Mexico with my P4 and on my first flight (from a balcony) I sent it out over the beautiful marina, it was about 1,000 feet distance from me and only about 80 feet in the air when the video feed on my ipad showed it was tumbling - rolling which looked like it was falling.....it was rolling around crazy as if the P4 was in a free-fall. This continued for about a minute. In my sheer panic I held hard 'UP' stick and was trying to recover it from falling by using the controls......well had I looked at the telemetry data I would have seen that it was NOT falling however I sent it up to nearly 1000 feet altitude during my panic. I brought it back with nothing damaged and I had no repeats of such a crazy camera gimbal rolling out of control however I also did not try flying from the balcony again.

Questions: Can flying from an area with metal rails/fence trim etc. such as a hotel balcony cause the gimbal to roll around erratic? Could this be a compass calibration issue?

Surprised that you didn't get any warning messages prior to flying from your balcony. YouTube is littered with footage of people doing what you did and they all end badly. With the amount of reinforced concrete and bare steel on a balcony you would expect a warning of some sort. If you have set up HD, have a look at the flight logs for some idea on what happened.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3