Cam Cocked to the Right; Gimbal Motor Overload

Reaction score
Just as the title says: my cam is panned (NOT TILTED!) to the right and I get "gimbal motor overload" errors on my screen.

Some background:
I suspect the issue was caused by flying in post-Irma gusts. I could not make any forward movement in P mode when flying into the wind; only Sport mode would move me, and even then it was only about 15-20mph. I have read that high winds can mess with the gimbal motor. But no issues during the flight; at no time did the gimbal error (or any other error) present itself.

I flew today (first time since the gusting flight). No issues for the first 2 batteries. During the third battery the cam suddenly skewed right to the point I could see the Strobon clip on the right landing gear leg.

Went away, then came back so I landed it.

Now the cam is skewed to the right and I keep getting "gimbal motor overload error." It comes and goes and the gimbal will act normal for a bit, but then it goes back to the right side pan.

I read up on it and tried moving the cam all the way to the right. I checked the ring cushion at the very top of the gimbal mount. Nothing is blocking the range of motion. In fact, the gimbal doesn't even move when I get the overload error sometimes.

I did the IMU and compass calibration. That seemed to fix it for a bit, but then it went back to the whole pan to the right thing. When I move the Phantom around the cam follows OK (with motor overload errors) - but always is panned to the right when level.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
Have you tried running a calibration on the gimbal, to see what it says?

Oddly enought I have the exact same problem with an extra issue. Two days ago when I fired up my P4P the gambal was making a growling noise everytime I move the craft around. After a few power resets that went away so I flew it in moderate winds but did have a high wind warning. Yesterday I decided to try again and when I lifted off the camera started shaking left and right. After I landed I noticed my camera was also pointing to the right.
I ran the IMU, gimbal and compass calibrations nothing help. I also tried reinstalling the go app. I called DJI, told them what all I had done and they told me to send it in. Mine is on its way to CA as I type.
I did have a minor crash a few weeks ago which resulted in a broken prop but everything seemed fine up until I parked it for a week or so ago.

Ah crap. Yeah mine makes a growling noise as well. Please let me know what they say the issue is.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart