Calling all camera gurus..

Unfortunately it was 35mph winds and the phantom was at a 45 degree angle lol, i managed to get a quick few snaps but want some peoples advice / opinions on these edits and what or how to improve in terms of camera settings, tips etc please... Im trying to really step up my game this year..

So this was shot with no ND filter, in D-Cinelike, at 1/40 so lightroom tells me...

here is the original.. followed by my lightroom edit. Thanks

Daz

Do I recognise Hythe Pier there Daz?

Unfortunately it was 35mph winds and the phantom was at a 45 degree angle lol, i managed to get a quick few snaps but want some peoples advice / opinions on these edits and what or how to improve in terms of camera settings, tips etc please... Im trying to really step up my game this year..

So this was shot with no ND filter, in D-Cinelike, at 1/40 so lightroom tells me...

here is the original.. followed by my lightroom edit. Thanks

Daz

Do I recognise Hythe Pier there Daz?

Yes sir you do.

Check this out to see some more.

Yes sir you do.

Check this out to see some more.

Two comments (not from a guru, just an amateur who likes to dabble)...

- I loved your edit of the picture... nicely done, cannot speak to some of the technical aspects others have mentioned. To me, it is a beautiful picture. The composition is great, and the color and brightness corrections definitely improve the effect.

- on your video, overall I love the "golden hour" ... in my experience, it's more often around sunset rather than sunrise, but I know that can depend on local conditions. For you, the sunset wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as the sunrise over the Solent... Just one bit of critique: I realize it might not be feasible (depending on how you flew and filmed), but because you've got various clips that show the sun near the horizon (both above and below) it really would be good if you knitted together the video as though it were moving forward in time. In a couple of instances, the sun appears lower on the horizon (or even below it) after it's been seen above and higher. This is something that can bother those of us who are OCD and want time to flow rather than jump back and forth... I actually had to open Google Maps and remind myself which direction the sun would be (based on your location) just to be sure whether it was sunrise or sunset we were watching. I remembered seeing your vid of the old power plant just down the way, so it wasn't hard to find... overall, great work and I look forward to seeing more.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Tips for camera settings (FOR PHOTOS). Don’t shoot auto if you don’t have too. Set shutter speed appropriately to prevent motion blur. I’d recommend trying to get your settings somewhere in the F4-5.6 range 1/500, and lowest ISO you can to make those work. Shutter can certainly be lowered since this is a relatively wide angle lens, but little micro blur vibrations can be helped a lot by shooting fast shutters. It’s all a compromise of ratio... Aperture/ISO/Shutter... I would not recommend shooting stills with a drone at 1/40th... could be fine for 24fps video, but not so much with stills. I’d go more in depth, but gotta run. Take care!

Two comments (not from a guru, just an amateur who likes to dabble)...

- I loved your edit of the picture... nicely done, cannot speak to some of the technical aspects others have mentioned. To me, it is a beautiful picture. The composition is great, and the color and brightness corrections definitely improve the effect.

- on your video, overall I love the "golden hour" ... in my experience, it's more often around sunset rather than sunrise, but I know that can depend on local conditions. For you, the sunset wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as the sunrise over the Solent... Just one bit of critique: I realize it might not be feasible (depending on how you flew and filmed), but because you've got various clips that show the sun near the horizon (both above and below) it really would be good if you knitted together the video as though it were moving forward in time. In a couple of instances, the sun appears lower on the horizon (or even below it) after it's been seen above and higher. This is something that can bother those of us who are OCD and want time to flow rather than jump back and forth... I actually had to open Google Maps and remind myself which direction the sun would be (based on your location) just to be sure whether it was sunrise or sunset we were watching. I remembered seeing your vid of the old power plant just down the way, so it wasn't hard to find... overall, great work and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for all the input my friend.

I completely understand and agree about the suns flow, next time I film and edit I will deffo bear in mind the forward fluidity of time reagarding this sort of thing.

Appreciate it.

Tips for camera settings (FOR PHOTOS). Don’t shoot auto if you don’t have too. Set shutter speed appropriately to prevent motion blur. I’d recommend trying to get your settings somewhere in the F4-5.6 range 1/500, and lowest ISO you can to make those work. Shutter can certainly be lowered since this is a relatively wide angle lens, but little micro blur vibrations can be helped a lot by shooting fast shutters. It’s all a compromise of ratio... Aperture/ISO/Shutter... I would not recommend shooting stills with a drone at 1/40th... could be fine for 24fps video, but not so much with stills. I’d go more in depth, but gotta run. Take care!

Is the f4-5.6!you mention apperture. ??

If so did you know the phantom 4 is fixed?

Is the f4-5.6!you mention apperture. ??

If so did you know the phantom 4 is fixed?

Ah.. Was thinking of the P4P... Never owned a P4... Guessing the P4 is fixed F2.8 aperture.. Same rules should apply with regards to shutter speed and stills. I’d personally never shoot at less than 1/250 for a moving/hovering object without expecting some sort of micro blur... Haven’t used my quad for still much though... just applying typical photography principles. Focal length factors into it as well, but I am commenting as a general rule with regards to probable conditions... With high wind, I’d double it at least. Best case, bracket your shots... shoot multiple at various speeds.

Take care

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164