Basic camera mount but it works

Reaction score
Inspired by Hugh, our archaeologist poster, who mounted a Canon point & shoot camera I thought I have a go at doing similar.
The first thing I did was purchase a Canon IXUS 125HS camera off Ebay. With a total weight of 125gr it wouldn’t be too heavy.
The next thing I did was to spend about half a day learning how to do a CHDK so the camera shutter would activate every 4 seconds or so. Much to my surprise I actually managed to do this so I then purchased an Upper Damping Bracket, which is a standard DJI spare part, costing about $14.00au. This gave me enough to make 2 mounts so I decided to make both 40 degree & 90 degree brackets. Using some aluminium strip I bent it to the appropriate angles and secured it to the damper brackets with small bolts. The camera was secured using a ¼’ tripod bolt.
It’s not perfect. On the 45 degree mount the camera extends slightly below the landing gear so I have to hand catch. I know I could get extended landing gear but then it won’t fit in its case. Also, because the camera is upside down you have to reverse the photos but that’s pretty easy. Using Windows Explorer it only takes 2 mouse clicks to rotate the whole batch.
I guess the biggest loss is no FPV which is a pretty big negative but all in all I’m pretty pleased with the result and there’s no FISH EYE!
Here’s some photos.

Damper brackets with the aluminium mounts
. by linecutter, on Flickr

90 degree mount

45 degree mount

The result
IMG_2092 by linecutter, on Flickr

IMG_2008 by linecutter, on Flickr

Why do you have a mounting piece on the upper portion of the dampener? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the balls?

If you want some ideas on how to make a mount take a look at the thread in my signature.

MonsieurAnon said:
Why do you have a mounting piece on the upper portion of the dampener? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the balls?

If you want some ideas on how to make a mount take a look at the thread in my signature.

My understanding is that both of those pics represent the bottom plate assembly so the rubber balls in both cases attach to the top plate on his Phantom.

My understanding is that both of those pics represent the bottom plate assembly so the rubber balls in both cases attach to the top plate on his Phantom.

You are absolutely correct.

Be careful - the dangling cable that was plugged into the Vision's camera can cause a short if it bumps against the metal of the mount or the case of the camera.

zenoshrdlu said:
Be careful - the dangling cable that was plugged into the Vision's camera can cause a short if it bumps against the metal of the mount or the case of the camera.

Thanks for the "heads up". If flying like this I'll put some tape over the plug.

Taking on some ideas from other posters I have now incorporated this mount into a configuration where I leave the FC200 camera on to provide FPV and mount the second camera underneath so I'll no longer have a dangling lead. I'll post an update shortly.

MonsieurAnon said:
enseth; how does it fly with all that weight? Do you have scales to weigh it?

You may need to adjust your gains. I find 90/90/130/130 works well for mine when it's at 1400g TOW.

The total weight with both the FC200 & Canon IXUS125HS camera mounted comes to 1450g. It feels the weight but copes. I'm thinking that's as about as much as you would want to load it with. Maybe you'd get a bit more. Peter Evans ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15626#p142160 ) has mounted a Sony RZ100 under his FC200 and that's a little heavier than the Canon I'm using but his mount maybe a little lighter. I did note that as soon as the battery hit the first low warning level the Phantom wouldn't maintain hover with the stick in centre position. I had to provide a bit of extra lift to stop it dropping.

I haven't tried adjusting the gains. Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at it and see if it makes a difference.

enseth said:
Peter Evans ( http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15626#p142160) has mounted a Sony RZ100 under his FC200 and that's a little heavier than the Canon I'm using but his mount maybe a little lighter.

I don't have a Vision or Vision Plus, so no FC200. The RX100 actually hangs beneath a GoPro on an H3-3D. Total weight is 1,550g

I just modified the method of attaching the mount to the back legs so as to facilitate changes to the tilt angle and allow quick mount/demount. I'll be testing it tomorrow hopefully, with some photos, and then I'll edit my post on that thread.

It's taken a lot of tinkering and fine-tuning but, by George, I think I've got it! :D

Ok, I take no claim for originality. That must go to Peter Evans, and I thank him for his post as it gave me a lot to work with.
One of my other hobbies is archery which gives me plenty of access to broken carbon arrows. This being the case I took some arrow weight inserts I had lying around and glued into the appropriately cut lengths of carbon for suspending the mount I had previously made. I then did a quick run to Super Cheap Auto and picked up some R clips, which I used to hold these in place, and some Xmas Tree Clips that I whittled down and screwed into the longer, thinner lengths of carbon legs, for feet. I continued with the camera angle set to about 45 degrees which seems to serve most shots pretty well. I have got the option of placing some rubber grommets on the back suspension supports which would allow me to adjust the angle prior to take off but at this stage I haven't worried about it.
Here's the photos.

All up the total weight is smack bang on 1400gms. The Phantom seems to handle this quite well. I did take MonsieurAnon advice and adjust the gains.

I have ordered a Sony a5000 but I think this might prove too heavy for mounting in this configuration, coming in with a total weight of 1613gm. This being the case I'll just stick to "spray & shoot" without the FPV.

Just as a matter of interest, what's the diameter of those CF arrow shafts?

The legs are 6mm. I went a little thicker on the mount suspenders in order to suit the holes in the rubber dampers. They're close enough to 7mm shafts.

Hey Enseth, the colors look really great on those first aerial pics.

I have a similar Canon compact (300 HS).

Do you have the "Vivid" color setting turned on?

I've always kept Vivid turned on when using all my dozen or so Canon compacts over the years. I just like the way the colors pop even if it isn't true to life.

AndysAdventures said:
Hey Enseth, the colors look really great on those first aerial pics.

I have a similar Canon compact (300 HS).

Do you have the "Vivid" color setting turned on?

I've always kept Vivid turned on when using all my dozen or so Canon compacts over the years. I just like the way the colors pop even if it isn't true to life.

No, I haven't tried that. I just have it set to "Standard" however I do carry out post proccessing using either Lightroom or Faststone, depending on how fussy I'm feeling. I usually pump up the saturation to try and bring the colours out a bit. I'm guessing the "Vivid" setting does much the same. The adjustments are just made in camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic