CA TOP SPEED?

Reaction score
I'm curious if others are getting only 13mph out of your P4 when CA (collision avoidance) is turned on in P mode. I've pushed the TapFly speed bar up to 22mph, however it only does 12 to 13mph with CA enabled in P mode. What am I doing wrong? Are others getting 22mph?

Last edited:
I have been flying with CA off but was getting around 22mph when it was enabled. Try calibrating the controller. Perhaps it isn't registering 100% stick inputs?

OK, then I must have something else wrong with my settings somewhere. If I got 20mph I wouldn't be concerned, but 13 in dead calm is dog slow. It feels like I'm flying my Q500. o_O

I have been flying with CA off but was getting around 22mph when it was enabled. Try calibrating the controller. Perhaps it isn't registering 100% stick inputs?
If I'm getting 45mph in dead calm using S mode, I would think the controller stick is correctly calibrated. But I'll try anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would try re-calibrating everything. A big thing I can see affecting it is CA registering props if the tilt is too aggressive. How's your air density?
I'm in So. Calif, 300', its not an air density issue. I've calibrated everything except the RC sticks. IMU, CA sensors, Compass. It makes no sense. This thing flies very fast in S mode, which I don't like using because it's so touchy and sucks so much power.

I've primarily been using P mode with CA turned off so it acts more like my P3P, easier on the battery drain, and less prop view. But there are times I'd like to flick CA on when I'm up close to something I'm shooting, however it's hassle turning it on through the app.

I'd rather have an option for S mode to have a limiter so I can set the top speed to 33mph. With that option I could easily flick from P mode with CA on, to S mode with a 33mph limit, alleviating the touchy nature of S mode and props flying into view so easy. S mode is so radical, with the camera tilted down with a sliver of horizon showing, I can still see props sometimes, even flying away from the sun.

So I have looked everywhere for a setting for CA top speed. There isn't one. Everything I read it states the craft top speed is 22mph by default, no adjustments are provided for that. ONLY in the Tap Fly menu is where you can adjust the speed, which allows you to set the flight travel speed, because you're not touching the sticks in that mode. I must have a lame aircraft with CA enabled. I just calibrated the RC controls, so I'll try that in the morning, however I don't think that's the problem, since I was getting 45mph in S mode. This just doesn't make sense if you guys are getting 20+mph with CA on.

Last edited:
I finally got the RC sticks calibrated and today I tested it. No joy, same results. Top speed in CA 13.9mph, and going with a wind I got it up to 19.2mph. I was surprise it went that fast because it normally does 13.5 to 13.8 with no wind. Today it did 13.9 into about a 5mph wind, similar to no wind, but 18 to19mph with the wind. Something is really strange with this bird. I played with all the sensor options, turned each of the CA options on and off, but it made no difference. I'm perplexed how my bird is stuck at 13-15mph speed and everyone else is 22mph. In S mode it rips, 40+mph. And with CA turned off P will do over 30mph, which is fine.

Did anyone else have stickers over their forward looking CA sensors? Mine didn't have any. I was thinking maybe I left them on because I heard P4 came with protective stickers over the sensores, but I looked and there's nothing there. My CA system seems to work fine, it stops when it approaches anything in the way, so I know it's working OK.

CA is pretty much useless to me due to the sluggish speed.....I mostly fly longer range panoramic photo missions, so I can't poke along too much.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm in So. Calif, 300', its not an air density issue. I've calibrated everything except the RC sticks. IMU, CA sensors, Compass. It makes no sense. This thing flies very fast in S mode, which I don't like using because it's so touchy and sucks so much power.

I've primarily been using P mode with CA turned off so it acts more like my P3P, easier on the battery drain, and less prop view. But there are times I'd like to flick CA on when I'm up close to something I'm shooting, however it's hassle turning it on through the app.

I'd rather have an option for S mode to have a limiter so I can set the top speed to 33mph. With that option I could easily flick from P mode with CA on, to S mode with a 33mph limit, alleviating the touchy nature of S mode and props flying into view so easy. S mode is so radical, with the camera tilted down with a sliver of horizon showing, I can still see props sometimes, even flying away from the sun.
You know you can set those limiters using both DJI GO app or more easily in the DJI Assistant 2.

Sorry if this has been said already.

You know you can set those limiters using both DJI GO app or more easily in the DJI Assistant 2.

Sorry if this has been said already.
There are no limiters to set in DJI GO for CA, only for Tap Fly are there limiters to set. I would be happy for you to prove me wrong. As for DJI Assistant, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for that suggestion.

There are no limiters to set in DJI GO for CA, only for Tap Fly are there limiters to set. I would be happy for you to prove me wrong. As for DJI Assistant, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for that suggestion.
Not for avoidance, I meant for top speeds in each mode.

Assuming CA is "ccolission avoidance". Well true either way, I think, but I still want to know that's what you were saying. ;)

Mine had protective stickers over all four CA cams. They were hard to miss:

VA_Ysc-q207NLCilR4VMAks1iccxYIrK2ZZtX1-jjHiPwXigs2RWPP0ioNtk4ghsn5403hUgzg0DRpKgW7eN106g1-0uk3FxeUgVcu6tyWIb25nf0AJRpgBEKHifDADEPGduW608CBa3G6KOn3ysIRL_hcUXnsR3pTXa551GDqqusUIbsbJQ79tu4x6UzyRZj3sXiwQLciDc3DLwYYjXH9LeIDoR-PWOkprmhEEnemHccZYjfEHrsNdYyxm7ax8TbVwko39pYb6bkGEZsR9bJBcYL2Cwomh_sg7Ukeqr0PYVmFaT7A8Z9RR_NKjO2KqpSCVVjMZFTmcVffeQS_42w5nG4RruyAGxO_KM-4asOtdETMyDc59ADfcbrVsGieJancm05B7wzG-9_kz82KXX_OZwJtDRDxTzlbRqZ2rvHFFNjqTSjBY1WpihppwV8HZ2iPBMjFj3sshpGArsreRng4kiwZLdTeiF9RZXEKumsAXra-cpVI4oCCcYT82dN-VjaCYlG6WghbMwXEpY0oPxp63JoijJ4PS_QuqmixaKPmLoh3CahcJS2q7hMKmoXAOoc7vaPA=w1123-h632-no

o6k7ORa8K4qugvK-QzlWQ9_6_ZykvYyWT8ZVKkgdDujXNWYUZk2i5g7TA0e0yK54xYRXRKBHf3AGMxZV-iAZwhz94I3cgqNxKMFkCzFPOkP_LxBgNucpJIF4oDGVwf4LMNzMMDxD81CdPgxo1DeJlPjPvIW5j1lQTTWZkj_XwZulP4BqBGUmyEHe4ZUqLhYP_NoNLyxpSVOvpQ27rZSL-YcfczTPm9cA45R-esUo3btOQHiWseFAiOhJZfEZgdwWD7_kEK4NR07gxO2UWh5ARlohX-o4vhhZ10wyauWqGp1dM_B_enoPBf1PA0wv9s5gfM8c8PTGIVcOw1UWXADALlY_ZOdSB2XGkdBiCHTzb8x-bleOsUJ19uW3ZBkjOgZA_bCTcox7hWx9xHgTiWmW0m3aQ5o4eXLEwSG0bSSJQCDpDBV8bGp3mnfTfXY3uipSeCyGRV5fyM5iNLCSNrXhEbNWPvjKSbCbKTnJB3MIk04ZWkut3orHGTjA4osYEpTveen6XZ6PhC9l6sN0gpXYtDmjDVjwhD1DoIC_lKHH-XoPNaNwt2dIlTvjkmFdDbLmGZZyrQ=w1123-h632-no

I finally got the RC sticks calibrated and today I tested it. No joy, same results. Top speed in CA 13.9mph, and going with a wind I got it up to 19.2mph. I was surprise it went that fast because it normally does 13.5 to 13.8 with no wind. Today it did 13.9 into about a 5mph wind, similar to no wind, but 18 to19mph with the wind. Something is really strange with this bird. I played with all the sensor options, turned each of the CA options on and off, but it made no difference. I'm perplexed how my bird is stuck at 13-15mph speed and everyone else is 22mph. In S mode it rips, 40+mph. And with CA turned off P will do over 30mph, which is fine.

Did anyone else have stickers over their forward looking CA sensors? Mine didn't have any. I was thinking maybe I left them on because I heard P4 came with protective stickers over the sensores, but I looked and there's nothing there. My CA system seems to work fine, it stops when it approaches anything in the way, so I know it's working OK.

Oh wow, those are hard to miss. I was thinking maybe is was a thin film like the P3 had over the camera. I didn't have any of those stickers on mine, however I did have stickers at each motor.

Last edited:
Not for avoidance, I meant for top speeds in each mode.

Assuming CA is "collision avoidance". Well true either way, I think, but I still want to know that's what you were saying. ;)
Yes, CA means Collision avoidance, I like that acronym better OA (obstacle avoidance). Anyway, can you show me what you're talking about? I can't find anything in GO app or the Digital assistant 2 app that offers top speed for CA. The only speed adjustment I can find is for Tap Fly, which tells the craft how fast to go when you tap to fly somewhere. I just want my CA mode to fly 22mph like everyone else says they are getting. This has got to be setting hiding somewhere.

[COMMENT][/COMMENT]
Yes, CA means Collision avoidance, I like that acronym better OA (obstacle avoidance). Anyway, can you show me what you're talking about? I can't find anything in GO app or the Digital assistant 2 app that offers top speed for CA. The only speed adjustment I can find is for Tap Fly, which tells the craft how fast to go when you tap to fly somewhere. I just want my CA mode to fly 22mph like everyone else says they are getting. This has got to be setting hiding somewhere.
So you want to lower the level of the highest speed right?

Okay, to be clear, this is not my area of expertise and I was just guessing because I've seen people playing with the sensitivity of yaw, roll, attitude, etc,. I made the assumption that you could control it there which on a quick look is available on Assistant in the "basic" tab and I know it's in the app too.

Later, when I have some time, I will do some actual research and find out for you. The numbers are strange, like 260% for attitude so I wouldn't mess with it unless you are sure you know what you are doing and I am not even sure that's the spot or not. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Hey lookie there, someone just started a thread on the "gain and sensitivity" which is what you want to calibrate I think.

This is the areas I don't know a lot about so I make any suggestions with extreme caution.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl