CA TOP SPEED?

No. Read post #1 in this thread.
Yes, I remember reading that at one point. How did it morph into me thinking you wanted to know how to adjust the max speed to a lesser amount??

Either way, what is your current goal?

22mph, like it's suppose to, like everyone else gets.
Oh, you want to make it go faster?

Still I would first go to the assistant and maybe recalibrate from scratch and if it's not getting the proper speeds, it could be the logic board, a bad esc, a bad motor anything else. Got the obvious out of the way like the calibrations and from there, sounds like an RMA.

22mph, like it's suppose to, like everyone else gets.
Hi John, I have been thinking this too about my P4. I'm pretty sure that, bar beginner mode/max altitude, out of the box it would be set for top speeds for the P/S modes.

I haven't calibrated the controller, I couldn't see where to do this but I've not had it long so I didn't really think it would need it anyhow.

Any way i thought mine was bit sluggish. Looking at the nice flight recordings screen in the dji app, (I think the h.S. indicates speed?) when I attempted S mode briefly I was hitting about 11m/s, which I make as 24.6 mph. I thought that was a bit slow on a calmish day. Then I looked at my P mode and was getting up to 10m/s, so now looking at it this sounds about right. For my S mode I didn't give it a proper test.

I would be bored to death having my speed limited to approx 20mph therefore, OA is something I wouldn't use and certainly don't consider it a selling point on the P4. I know many of the early adopters were "excited" about OA however, I'm sure many were disappointed once they realized they could only fly at a "snails pace" in order to use this feature. Heck, at this limited speed, any experienced pilot should have no problem avoiding objects in all directions rather than having just the forward sensors on the P4. Most of the threads in regards to performance are those flying in sport mode allowing for speeds well above those flying a P3.

I would be bored to death having my speed limited to approx 20mph therefore, OA is something I wouldn't use and certainly don't consider it a selling point on the P4. I know many of the early adopters were "excited" about OA however, I'm sure many were disappointed once they realized they could only fly at a "snails pace" in order to use this feature. Heck, at this limited speed, any experienced pilot should have no problem avoiding objects in all directions rather than having just the forward sensors on the P4. Most of the threads in regards to performance are those flying in sport mode allowing for speeds well above those flying a P3.
I agree, when playing around at flying, 22mph is a bore, and that's why I sold my Yuneec Q500+ which would only do 17mph. The new Typhoon H will only do 22mph top speed, period, according the Yuneec guys at the CES show. Can you imagine? 6 motors and it only does 22mph? Have you noticed their propaganda doesn't talk about top speed?

When recording video, slow and smooth buttery moves are essential for a professional look. Generally speaking when I'm recording video I seldoom go over 20mph, of course there are exceptions when recording wake boarders, skiers, motorcycles, etc. But in general 20mph is a good top number for professional video quality. I like CA in specific situations when I get up close to an object without worry of hitting it. An example recently was capturing a lighthouse 1.2miles away, getting up close about 10' away to see the internal light behind the glass. Given the latency of video can be 200ms (almost a quarter second), and the P4 has a bad habit of dropping video when it shouldn't at 1.2mi away, the extra insurance of having CA enable for close up shots is a good tool to utilize. Doing FPV captures at long distance are a bit spooky sometimes, so I'd like to use CA in these situations when I'm loitering in the capture area. 13mph is too slow, but 22mph would be good for these scenarios.

What would be really nice is if the GO app would let me adjust the distance I get to objects, such as allowing me to get really close, like 5' away, which automatically restricts speed to 2 or 3 mph. So when I really want to get up close, I could use that option. IMO, that would be really powerful. Can you imagine getting that close to an object? Then zooming in 2X? That would be really helpful for inspection jobs. I would name that UCP mode..... up close & personal. :D

I may have to bite the bullet and call DJI if I can't figure this out. I gotta believe there's a setting somewhere that will fix this slow 13mph CA speed. I just can't find it. Otherwise the P4 is a fun craft, 40+mph in Smode, 3 more min of flight time, 2X zoom. I'll never use Tap Fly. I can't believe DJI even thought Tap Fly was a good idea, go figure. I'd rather have UCP mode.

Last edited:
Hi, I found a practical test, were they compare P mode and S mode. S mode has max 20m/s. So I think when you'll have some wind in back, you can fly a bit faster :)
This was the video

If I'm getting 45mph in dead calm using S mode, I would think the controller stick is correctly calibrated. But I'll try anything. Thanks for the suggestion.
John, I am having this issue too. Only difference, when I am flying backward or sideways, I get 22mph. Only flying forward do I get the 13mph. There is something wrong here.

I've noticed when flying low to the ground my speed is much slower than 22 mph but if I climb to around 250 ft my speed will go up 22 mph. So maybe try flying higher if you haven't already .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, I found a practical test, were they compare P mode and S mode. S mode has max 20m/s. So I think when you'll have some wind in back, you can fly a bit faster :)
This was the video
Haha! This video was amazing. The Phantom coming out and saying bye at the end was genius! Well done.

Did 85.2 in sport mode, I know it's not CA on, but as I didn't realize I even did it, was surprised, also seems to be the fastest recorded, here anyway, so far.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use CA/OA but I never have the fly backwards switch on. I'm wondering if having it on slows you down. I'm just thinking out loud.

I use CA/OA but I never have the fly backwards switch on. I'm wondering if having it on slows you down. I'm just thinking out loud.
Are you saying your craft will do over 20mph with CA enabled?

I sent my craft in to DJI for other issues and they replaced the craft with a new one. I can only get 18mph out of it. It's better than my first P4, but in dead calm I can only get up to 18mph.

Are you saying your craft will do over 20mph with CA enabled?

I sent my craft in to DJI for other issues and they replaced the craft with a new one. I can only get 18mph out of it. It's better than my first P4, but in dead calm I can only get up to 18mph.
If I'm getting you right, you were saying in the beginning of your postings that you were getting around 13 mph with CA activated. I can't remember now but it seems like the specs for the P Mode with all of the crash avoidance-both optical and sonar was 18 mph. I have everything switched on but backwards flying, and I'm getting the regular 18 mph. I flew today with those settings, and I was doing 17 mph something outward and around 22 mph back.

Since I got a hair past 3 miles out again, I wasn't going to change settings to allow backwards flying to see if it slowed down since I got the low battery warning. Also, I want to fly more and test more settings but it has been very hot here lately. If it was cooler, I'd mess around to see which settings slowed me down below 18 mph in a level cruise on a calm day.

Here it is boys, 100mph! And proof
a0fe529244b3aec3096c8f7b9bd43e9f.jpg

Cmon, I should get something for that from DJI, like an Inspire or something, 2,000,000'+ and 100mph

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4