Bye bye phantom. It was fun :(

Agreed but was just pointing out that with RTH engaged, you can still maneuver once you get your signal back. If you were able to maintain signal past the one outstanding obstacle, there's a chance you'll get control and even video back in time.

Honestly, in a situation like this, with RTH engaging at the perfect (worst) time, when the obstacle is right between AC and Home Point, there's little you can do as the AC will be hidden behind the obstacle.
I think what we learned from this incident is this:
- always remember to set the RTH height above the tallest obstacle in the flying area, and keep in mind that the height is relative to the Home Point
- when the tallest obstacle would require an RTH height above the recommended ceiling (400ft in US), make a determination on whether it would be still safe to go higher depending on location, circumstances, likelihood of RTH, etc
- if you cannot set RTH height above the tallest obstacle, never put that obstacle between you (Home Point) and AC
- drones with obstacle sensing technology are nice
Or better be safe and never flight over obstacles that are too tall. I prefer clear long paths and it's also great for the signal.

A lot of good answers but many seem to forget that Daz said he lost signal and video ... that means he has no control to raise / lower height or fly round anything ... he's at mercy of the RTH settings ...

As to the statement of 400ft added to the chimney ... I have to laugh ... I don't quite think FAA had that sort of argument in mind !! Anyway Daz flies in the UK ... so FAA can ....................

Nigel

A lot of good answers but many seem to forget that Daz said he lost signal and video ... that means he has no control to raise / lower height or fly round anything ... he's at mercy of the RTH settings ...

As to the statement of 400ft added to the chimney ... I have to laugh ... I don't quite think FAA had that sort of argument in mind !! Anyway Daz flies in the UK ... so FAA can ....................

Nigel

I'll be back somehow or someday. And I'm gonna go back to th same spot. I'm not done filming yet lol.
But next time and hate me if you like lol I will set the return to home altitude higher than the chimney :). I don't think planes fly over or anyways.

Now I just gotta hope it's repairable at a sensible cost.

Also can batterys be repaired? It was only the casing which looks damaged. It still lights up and powers on etc.

Now I am old school and I hate not being able to repair ...

This is my world ...

From this :

to this ..

Been flying 3D and full aerobatics ever since ...

a) I would most certainly look to see if battery case can be repaired. Then test fly in an open field where if it does come a crocker - no-one gets hurt. Just build confidence in the battery again.

b) Anything can be repaired literally ... I for one would be looking at phantomhelp pages for parts and items to put her back together ...

I know someones going to argue against me ... that's life. I don't agree with Cheque-Book modelling.

Nigel

Reactions: BluWolf and Dazzauk
Yep sorry to hear this too, I've seen your posts here and enjoy reading same, hope you can get your bird sorted at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Also can batterys be repaired? It was only the casing which looks damaged. It still lights up and powers on etc.

I'll have to look around..... but it was just recently that someone asked the same thing and YES, they do sell an "empty" battery housing. It might not be made by DJI, but I saw the pictures. It was around $30 US. Now I just have to remember if it was here or Facebook I saw it..........

Thanks for all the replays guys. Just waiting for courier to collect my drone now to take it on for repair quote.

Keep thinking about this and I'm gutted lol. It really was a freak accident. Wish I had set my rth altitude at 400m etc. How unlucky is it that the moment the signal was lost was the moment a straight line was straight through a chimney lol.

Thanks for all the replays guys. Just waiting for courier to collect my drone now to take it on for repair quote.

Keep thinking about this and I'm gutted lol. It really was a freak accident. Wish I had set my rth altitude at 400m etc. How unlucky is it that the moment the signal was lost was the moment a straight line was straight through a chimney lol.

That has nothing to do with luck. Signal was lost BECAUSE chimney was exactly between AC and RC.

That has nothing to do with luck. Signal was lost BECAUSE chimney was exactly between AC and RC.

You don't say Sherlock lol.

It was kind of rhetorical, it was unlucky that I found myself in that situation where the straight line home was through a concrete chimney.

We gotta get you back. I haven't even finished the wifi only iPad mini follow me test yet!!

Ha ha. Can't we start a fund page for me ( jokes)

Got baby on the way can't see the wife letting me have a new one just yet. Need to try and earn some extra cash me thinks.

Maybe I should sell drugs. Jokes again

Wonder if they ship to U.K.?

Capture.PNG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez