BYE BYE DJI

Reaction score
Well, DJI have a no fly zone now that prevents me from flying on my own land as a football stadium that plays one game every 3 weeks is over 2 miles away.
My friend is also in the same boat as he has a rugby club that closed down las year 1 mile from him and he can not fly in his own field.

They are not having my credit card details to get stolen by hacking or an image of my driving license.
They have simply gone to far this time and it is bye bye DJI, the order for the P4 pro is canceled and the p3 pro is for sale.

It was good whilst it lasted.
Autel X star premium here I come.

Wonder why they made the NFZ so far out from a stadium? Seems the parking lot around the stadium would be close enough for the geo-fence, but 2+ miles seems excessive. I'd even go so far as 3 miles should be adequate for an airport too instead of 5 miles. Some AMA RC flying fields are within 3 miles of one airport, but they might have some waiver or agreement with them too.

Reactions: Air Cav Scout
They have gone way over the top.
Where does it stop, send your credit card numbers, driving license and signature over a server that a 10 year old could hack to be stored in a country with no data protection laws ?
Just so you can fly where you have flown for years without any issues ?
Then we have the mandatory installation firmware that alters a product you paid for ?
Ransom ware .
Add in this creation of temporary no fly zones by authority and you have a Orwellian nightmare in the making.

Airports were fine and a good idea but sports arenas that are rarely open taking out 3 miles of flying space, sorry, they have gone way too far here and are stepping way outside their bounds.

It's all up for sale and I will buy a drone that trust adults to be adults

Reactions: grin factor
Add in this creation of temporary no fly zones by authority and you have a Orwellian nightmare in the making.
Orwellian nightmare? I think that a bit overblown... after all, we're talking about hobbyists flying drones... not re-education at the Ministry of Love :D

Reactions: m0j0 and madfella
Wonder why they made the NFZ so far out from a stadium? Seems the parking lot around the stadium would be close enough for the geo-fence, but 2+ miles seems excessive. I'd even go so far as 3 miles should be adequate for an airport too instead of 5 miles. Some AMA RC flying fields are within 3 miles of one airport, but they might have some waiver or agreement with them too.
The false NFZ caused me to crash once. The NFZ around stadiums is supposed to start one hour before the game, and end one hour after. But the Geo Fence implements the NFZ days before and goes 'till days after. There's no reason DJI can't get this right - programs like Airmap get the times exactly right.

Reactions: mark99
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service.

Are you going to turn over my information to the government?
In general, not unless there is a specific reason to. In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization Zone at the location, date, and time in question.
They said they do not store this information
Simply not true.
So a deliberate lie of statements, a "partner" stores this information so they can forward it to the authorities.
How secure is this system that holds your credit card details and tracks you directly through the app.

No bank will refund credit card fraud where you have provided the details yourself.
Where is this partner, who is it ? Who holds your data and in what country is the information that could run up a huge credit card scam kept in.
Someone asks how is this Orwellian ?
Are you asleep.

All this so you can fly your drone.

DJI are really loosing the plot now, they are a Chinese drone company that make flying toys, not a law enforcement agency that needs to spy on people.

Enough, they have gone way too far.

Your statement regarding bank refund or other when you have provided info is wrong.

This may completely skew your understanding.

I give my card to a food server for payment. Someone scanned or skimmed the card info which resulted in fraudulent charges.

Three subsequent charges not of my own were forgiven and a new card issued.

There is so much bogus info and claims made here and other forums that most of it cannot be trusted.

Welcome to the 'club'.

Having your card skimmed or cloned is not the same as knowingly providing the details

You can play your semantic games. Give them your number or give them your card.
Please explain how one makes me liable for subsequent fraud while the other doesn't?
Don't be naive.

There's so much misinformation in your posts it's difficult to take you seriously. Let's go one by one.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number.
You missed the word "or." You can unlock an NFZ with a credit card OR a mobile phone number. Simply don't give them a credit card number, and if you're worried about someone having your mobile number, buy a burner phone.

DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service.

(snip)
Simply not true.
So a deliberate lie of statements, a "partner" stores this information so they can forward it to the authorities.

DJI's statement is pretty clear. DJI does not have access to your information. A third-party verification company does. This would most likely be in whatever country you live in. And yes, it's so if you fly in a NFZ and hurt somebody or do damage the police can serve a court order and find out who you are.

If you don't do anything stupid like that you can simply unlock the geofence you're complaining about and fly in it.

No bank will refund credit card fraud where you have provided the details yourself.

Yes it will. You provide your info in good faith, that merchant suffers a hack or whatever, you're the victim of fraud and you're covered.

DJI are really loosing the plot now, they are a Chinese drone company that make flying toys, not a law enforcement agency that needs to spy on people.
But they do have an interest in working with law enforcement agencies when their customers break the law.

Good luck. Autel Robotics is a Chinese company, too. And their drones are equipped with geofencing as well. Your exchanging one for the other isn't going to improve your situation much.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service.

Are you going to turn over my information to the government?
In general, not unless there is a specific reason to. In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization Zone at the location, date, and time in question.
Simply not true.
How secure is this system that holds your credit card details and tracks you directly through the app.

Where is this partner, who is it ? Who holds your data and in what country is the information that could run up a huge credit card scam kept in.
Someone asks how is this Orwellian ?
Are you asleep.

All this so you can fly your drone.

Enough, they have gone way too far.

Yes your bank will.

Reactions: m0j0
My brother in law has just bought a P3A. He lives beside a small airstrip no control tower etc av 2 or 3 light aircraft per week .app won't let him fly.! How can he register his mobile phone etc android.Thanks

Having your card skimmed or cloned is not the same as knowingly providing the details

It is when you knowingly provided the details for one purpose and the card was subsequently used for a purpose you did not authorize. Trust me on this, I'm an Infosec professional with deep knowledge in PCI-DSS card compliance.

Only place that your scenario applies is if you willingly transfer $ to lets say a Nigerian scammer. In that case you willingly provided/authorized a charge in the attempt to obtain a service. Not the same.

Reactions: RemarK
Isn't it amusing how uninformed folks can overreact?... My Daddy used to call that "Shootin' from the hip"... seldom its the target.
The rules are for SAFETY for all involved... you know... a lot like STOP signs and TRAFFIC LIGHTS at intersections.
Terry
COMMERCIAL PILOT- CFI-I, ADVANCED GROUND INSTRUCTOR

Reactions: Falcon900
Luckily for aircraft pilots, they aren't forcibly restricted from flying within so many miles of spot. The FAA will issue TFR's from time to time during large events, but the rest of the time, its up to the pilot's discretion. I can see why there is an automatic block for the casual user. The average Joe Schmo may have no formal training to speak of and would be more highly likely to fly into a restricted space. As aircraft pilots, we spend countless hours on the ground and in the sky learning the ins and outs of regs. While the no fly zones are a great idea, I think they should be linked to TFR's and NOTAMS issued by the FAA so UAVs and aircraft can abide by the same restrictions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl