Bummed out in Arizona

Reaction score
thought I was going to joint the ranks as a Phantom 4 Pro pilot today but the drone won't fly. GPS failure. Sending it back and wait at least 3 weeks for a new one....wonder if they will extend the Refresh Plan that I paid for today. What a let down

thought I was going to joint the ranks as a Phantom 4 Pro pilot today but the drone won't fly. GPS failure. Sending it back and wait at least 3 weeks for a new one....wonder if they will extend the Refresh Plan that I paid for today. What a let down
Are you sure you're not in a Geo Locked NO Fly Zone?

How did you determine that it was GPS failure?
My question, too. And I still think he is with-in a Geo-Locked Zone. I find it hard to believe the drone is defective to the point where is is unusable and will not "fly".

My question, too. And I still think he is with-in a Geo-Locked Zone. I find it hard to believe the drone is defective to the point where is is unusable and will not "fly".

More to the point, if the GPS unit fails, or is not communicating with the FC, won't it just default to ATTI mode and still fly?

Well, that's what I'm thinking, but I certainly am not the go to tech guru, here.

More to the point, if the GPS unit fails, or is not communicating with the FC, won't it just default to ATTI mode and still fly?

Yes, after the IMU is done, and no GPS signal is aquired, ATTI mode it is.

I don't think you guys are being fair to "bummed out". He may not know that there is more than one airport in his area.

For example, he may think because he is more than a couple of miles from an airport with commercial airline service, his drone should work. This is not unusual - many otherwise well-informed people have no idea that there are airports that do not serve the commercial airlines, but are protected from drone abuse by computer codes imbedded in their operating systems.

I am not clear which of the major cities in Arizona "bummed out" is located in or near. If he'd like to give me an address ( dosnt have to be his - can be one near him) many of us can check that out and see how close to an airport he is, that he may be unaware of.

I don't think you guys are being fair to "bummed out". He may not know that there is more than one airport in his area.

For example, he may think because he is more than a couple of miles from an airport with commercial airline service, his drone should work. This is not unusual - many otherwise well-informed people have no idea that there are airports that do not serve the commercial airlines, but are protected from drone abuse by computer codes imbedded in their operating systems.

I am not clear which of the major cities in Arizona "bummed out" is located in or near. If he'd like to give me an address ( dosnt have to be his - can be one near him) many of us can check that out and see how close to an airport he is, that he may be unaware of.

I don't think anyone is being unfair - in fact I don't even see any criticism - just a request for more information.

I think you have misunderstood us completely. We're here to help him out. I, for one, wish he would respond, so we can get what I believe to me a minor issue, straightened out for him.

How did you determine that it was GPS failure?
Error message: GPS disconnect reset and check connection. Zero satellites showing up on the app. More than 15 miles from an airport and tried the drone at 2 locations 9 miles apart. Called dji tech support and they had me try everything that I had already tried then said that the unit needed to be returned

Error message: GPS disconnect reset and check connection. Zero satellites showing up on the app. More than 15 miles from an airport and tried the drone at 2 locations 9 miles apart. Called dji tech support and they had me try everything that I had already tried then said that the unit needed to be returned
I also tried all 3 flight modes and get the Cannot fly error message in all of them. There is definitely connection between the controller and the aircraft

That is a strange one. I've never heard of that error message. Sounds like it may well need to go back.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
I had a friend working on it with me (who has (2) phantom 4s and a Mavik along with other drones and controllers) and he has never seen an error code like this one either.

I had a friend working on it with me (who has (2) phantom 4s and a Mavik along with other drones and controllers) and he has never seen an error code like this one either.
I'm with sar104; strange one. I'm sorry to here that, I was hoping someone here would be able to get you out of the problem.

[QUOTE=". More than 15 miles from an airport and tried the drone at 2 locations 9 miles apart. [/QUOTE]..
=======================================================================

Interesting problem this fellow has. ,,,just wondering if there are any statistics on how many of these Chinese imports are defective "out-of-the-box" ?

Also wonder where one can be in the Phoenix or Tucson area that is more than 15 miles from an airport ( just because most "civilians" don't know there is something called "general aviation", dosnt mean the computer programers of these things are equally ignorant...!)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know for certain WHAT the parameters are, of the programming drones have, that keep them from operating near airports? Specifically, is the criteria that of only "counting" airports that have "Part 121" (sched. airline) service...."Part 135" ( commercial but non-sched...?) Only airports with control towers ?

As a side-note, my own airstrip (AZ 27) is on the charts, but my drone ( a Phantom 3 "standard" I just bought and "registered / up-dated" last week, works fine here ( I checked with the airport manager...he says flying drones here is o.k. with him.....which happens to be ME...!)

NE Tucson. The first location we tried was in town where my friend flies his dji drones all the time with no problems. The second location was further out of town and further from the airports. The closest airport to me is Davis Montham Airbase on the far south side of town.It is definitely not an airport issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119