Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise

That is awesome Bud! It is weird that the website seems to show data at the end of flight at lower altitude though, where do you think it is getting that from? Can you see motor speeds?
There is a problem with the altitude presentation that I'm looking into. I think the entire flight was at roughly the same altitude, around 25 meters.

Can't see motor speeds yet.

I looked at the .DAT some this morning. @McVenturesRC had uploaded it to the flylog.info site and I retrieved it from there. I used a new tool, called DatConverter, that I had made available on the website yesterday.
Thank you Budwalker for providing these tools and for analyzing the data.
Can we download this tool as well?.
Is it possible to calculate the oriontation?
What more information is in the log file?
The motorspeed could shed some more light on the cause of the crash.

Sorry for maybe an ignorant first post, but are you saying that the data power and the main power come from different batteries?
Hi Jobe and welcome to the forum. Please don't think that any question is ignorant. Most of us are happy to help.

No, I didn't mean that data power and main power come from different batteries. I meant that they come from different connections on the same battery.

If you look closely at your P3, you will see that there are 4 spring activated power connection points just below the two large power connection points. This was why it was speculated back in the early days of the P3 that some people were losing power but not data when they weren't fully seating their batteries. Someone here even posted pictures of the very small gap between the first click and the second click on batteries that needed two clicks. Like I said, I have three batteries and only one of them needs the second click. I'm not sure how pervasive this is now several months into production.

This was one of the potential causes of this particular crash that I was speculating about when the thread was relatively new. Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
The preflight lasted roughly 133 seconds. During that time a compass calibration was done. This plot shows the MagMOD data during the preflight.
MagMod.jpg

I'll speculate that the increase in MagMod happened when the calibration was finished. I.e., this calibration actually resulted in the magnetometer being further out of calibration. I don't think this was the cause of the crash though.

BTW, I've noticed that MagMod data usually shows a higher value than what is seen while the P3 is on the ground before launch.

Thank you Budwalker for providing these tools and for analyzing the data.
Can we download this tool as well?.
Is it possible to calculate the oriontation?
What more information is in the log file?
The motorspeed could shed some more light on the cause of the crash.
Yes, go to flylog.info to download the tool. Roll, Pitch, and Yaw are in the .csv

Hi Jobe and welcome to the forum. Please don't think that any question is ignorant. Most of us are happy to help.

No, I didn't mean that data power and main power come from different batteries. I meant that they come from different connections on the same battery.

If you look closely at your P3, you will see that there are 4 spring activated power connection points just below the two large power connection points. This was why it was speculated back in the early days of the P3 that some people were losing power but not data when they weren't fully seating their batteries. Someone here even posted pictures of the very small gap between the first click and the second click on batteries that needed two clicks. Like I said, I have three batteries and only one of them needs the second click. I'm not sure how pervasive this is now several months into production.

This was one of the potential causes of this particular crash that I was speculating about when the thread was relatively new. Cheers!
@JoBe - here is an older thread that I found with a video of what I was talking about regarding the one or two "clicks" of the battery before it is fully seated and securely connected to both data and main power.
Caution - Batteries don't fully insert without force | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: JoBe
Bud what about the below screenshots of the flight map that show the descent. It seems like it something had power all the way down.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447362671.891811.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447362683.107604.jpg
. Also Bud can you post the two .csv files somewhere not file sharing site? I cannot access dropbox or other file sharing sites....really want to see though!

Last edited:
Mine seems to click in all the way with the first click. Are you saying this is the cause of the crash in question? Is it something I should be worried about?
Not saying at all that this is the cause of the crash in this thread. Nobody really knows. We are all just speculating and trying to sift through the data as it becomes available. Its a good learning exercise for everyone.

All I was saying is that my take on the early data was that the P3 was no longer powered for flight, but that it was still recording data all the way down to impact with the ground. My suggestion about the battery fit that scenario based on issues seen with pilots several months ago when the P3 first came out. That doesn't mean its the root cause. We may never know the root cause for sure, and it could even just be some sort of electronic failure not even mentioned in the thread.

Ya there a prop wrench, 1 reply later there a picture that shows it
Right there before your eyes,
No "tightening" wrench. It doesn't say "tightening" is the point I think.

Reactions: III% Streve
Bud what about the below screenshots of the flight map that show the descent. It seems like it something had power all the way down.View attachment 35681View attachment 35682. Also Bud can you post the two .csv files somewhere not file sharing site? I cannot access dropbox or other file sharing sites....really want to see though!
I saw that. I suppose it's possible that the file got truncated either on the upload or when I retrieved it. I'll have to check later. I'll also post those .csv for you. If you had the .DAT you generate them yourself

Ya there a prop wrench, 1 reply later there a picture that shows it
Right there before your eyes,
No.. there isnt. There is a prop wrench. There is never any mention from anyone associated with DJI that ever said it was for "tightening"! It is VERY well documented that the props should be tightened by hand. And the only mention ever of the use of the wrench is to REMOVE a prop that is too tight to remove by hand.

Why does DJI include a prop tightening wrench?
YOU were the first person to say "prop tightening wrench" on the forum, not just this thread, since EVER! You created a term, which sole purpose is to describe a wrench that tightens. I only replied to what YOU stated. dont get mad at me for pointing it out!

YOU were the first person to say "prop tightening wrench" on the forum, not just this thread, since EVER! You created a term, which sole purpose is to describe a wrench that tightens. I only replied to what YOU stated. dont get mad at me for pointing it out!
I'm far from mad, I just saw a Prop wrench in the kit. And asked why does DJI include this. To undo a struck prop works for me.
And I guess going with the undo answer makes sense. Like an oil filter
Wrench. Hand tighten, wrench off sometimes.
Dale

Reactions: III% Streve
I looked at the .DAT some this morning. @McVenturesRC had uploaded it to the flylog.info site and I retrieved it from there. I used a new tool, called DatConverter, that I had made available on the website yesterday. It's an offline version of the website converter. The .DAT has more data than can be plotted by Excel. I used DatConverter to produce 2 .csv files; one for the preflight where a compass calibration was done, and another for the flight itself. This post addresses the flight. The preflight was actually kinda interesting; I'll address that in another post.

The battery was on and providing power for about 180 seconds. It was at roughly 133 seconds when the P3 was launched. When the recording stopped the P3 was still in the air. I'll speculate that the battery disconnected, causing the recording to stop. However, there were no corruptions or partial records that often happens when the battery is removed while still providing power. In fact, this .DAT didn't have any partial records or data corruptions.

The .DAT shows the P3 with a heading of 198 degrees for the entire flight. Is this right? There is also a problem with the way the altitude is presented. I'm looking into that.

You should definitely get DJI to look at this .DAT file. I'd appreciate knowing anything they tell you.

I've included some plots that I made with Excel. First are the X and Y accelerometer data
View attachment 35663
The horizontal axis is labelled with the clock tick#. The clock runs at 600 HZ so this plot, starting at tick# 80000, coincides with 133 seconds. The event at 81000 is the take off and the events at around 105000 are the maneuvers at the end of the flight.

The barometer is shown here
View attachment 35667
Note, that the recording terminates with the P3 still at altitude indicating a loss of power in flight.

The battery data is shown here
View attachment 35666

Have the same info using Dashware and the Fly013.csv posted . The Datconverter has worked well with all my flights but this is weird.
Altitude difference is not even 1 meter. The amp draw is around 1.2 when a flying P3 is around 13 Amps.
So seems that either csv is not correct or there is a communication error. Interesting that healthy drone indicates 106minutes per battery - maybe flight time too short to calculate?

upload_2015-11-13_0-45-39.png

Bud what about the below screenshots of the flight map that show the descent. It seems like it something had power all the way down.View attachment 35681View attachment 35682. Also Bud can you post the two .csv files somewhere not file sharing site? I cannot access dropbox or other file sharing sites....really want to see though!
Here are the two .csvs. I checked and there doesn't seem to be a problem with files getting truncated either on the upload or when I retrieved it. Of course it could be a intermittent problem. Let's think about this some.....

Attachments

• FLY013csvs.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 189

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves