Building up portfolio before CAA Approval?

Reaction score
Potentially a silly question but cant hurt to ask - I am going to be doing a part time aerial photography business in a few months once I've completed a course and got CAA approval. So until then I want to get a good portfolio of images/videos for the website facebook ready for posting when I start.

My question is can I build up a portfolio now to use on my website/facebook/etc which wont go live until ive done the course and waiting for CAA Approval? Or are they quite strict on this type of thing? I have a number of private houses, farms I plan on going to do for free, theres also some businesses wanting roof inspections which again i'd not charge as want to build up portfolio.

My question is can I build up a portfolio now to use on my website/facebook/etc which wont go live until ive done the course and waiting for CAA Approval? Or are they quite strict on this type of thing?
The CAA are in the business of aviation safety, they aren't the photo police.
There are rules about not doing commercial work without your licence but it's completely legal for you to fly and take your photos and put them on a website

Nothing illegal about creating a website portfolio showing off the nice photography and video you have taken as recreation, as long as it isn't being used to promote a business -- yet. After you get your license, put a company name on the website and promote your business all you like. At least that's the law in the States and I would think similar in Canada if they require a license.

Last edited:
You can capture some amazing shots all while sticking to the rules and regulations. I use google earth and careful planning to get the shots I want. All while staying within the CAA rules so when I get my PFAW at a later date I am free to sell those images should I wish.

Reactions: jase888

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen