Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

BUILD MODIFIED camera cable Ideas...

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by flyingtim, Sep 8, 2014.

1. flyingtim

As Creative as the Group is : I would think we could come up with a rebuild, or cable repair. It is a long cable so only one end would need replaced.

For example, come out of camera, have a self disconnect section in middle before it goes into the the Quad. A connector that wind would not easily separate, but that impact would disconnect, thus saving the ribbon cable from shearing.

Ideas?

2. DrJoe

Fabulous idea.
    It would be better if they manufactured the camera to have a separate wired connection to the gimbal (like a go-pro). They run that ribbon cable down and around the gimbal to feed the camera, and when it separates, that's where it usually breaks. This is a great functional and esthetic design, but provides poor robustness and reparability.

As far as repair, perhaps a slip on solder-less male/female press fit connector. Cutting and splicing a ribbon cable is a major undertaking.

As I am fairly handy and have some access to specialized equipment, I thought of attempting a solder fix to my broken ribbon cable. There is a video on a ribbon cable repair, which after watching convinced me not to attempt.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Lve6lHeOw[/youtube]

3. flyingtim

I see what you mean.
    I sent the idea to DJI suggesting a simple little cable for camera only.

Until then... Someone on here, somewhere, had contacted the manufactures who actually make the cables. Maybe they could do the modification. They would have a lot of customers, unfortunately.

4. flyingtim

Someone posted this:
    "I strengthened mine, ribbon cable, with thin strips of gaffer tape and it seems to work. Prior to that I busted mine after just two outings but since adding the tape it has been OK"