Broke my ribbon cable today. Duct taped on GoPro 4 Black

Reaction score
Crashed and burned. Gimbal ribbon cable snapped. A disaster.

Decided to remove the camera and duct tape a Hero 4 Black to what was left of the gimbal assembly. Tooke a few try's but finally got it positioned just right. I actually taped on the waterproof case for the GoPro, not the GoPro itself, but I did it in such a way that I can snap in the GoPro, or swap in a different GoPro.

Since it's taped to the gimbal assembly, it benefits from the shock absorbers. In fact, the video quality is so much better, it's almost worth the trade off of not having a gimbal or tilt control or FPV... almost. We'll not really, but it's better than nothing. Especially since I'm leaving tomorrow and have no other choice.

Prylar Bek said:
How did you crash?

It was dumb.

I flew down between a lane of trees, following some of the kids on their bikes. I was only about 10 feet above the ground, but that was below the branches of most the trees. All was fine, but then the Vision started to drift and a very thin spindle of a branch reached out and snagged the drone. (Yes I use the term "drone"). I should have never been flying in there. I knew it. But it was too tempting with all the kids and cousins running around and riding their bikes. Big mistake.

Here is my Vision now. Retrofitted for GoPro. It ain't pretty, but it works pretty well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 583
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 559
Overnight that gimbal to me and I got ribbon cables sitting here..... Nevermind, I see that your leaving tomorrow. Shucks, its an easy fix when you get back.

Jeremy James

This guy Jones is great! Hope I never need him. Glad he's so accommodating!! Anyway. I m fearful of trees for just that reason. I had a flyaway yesterday. Luckily landed ok. Dodged one!

erikgraham said:
Prylar Bek said:
How did you crash?

It was dumb.

I flew down between a lane of trees, following some of the kids on their bikes. I was only about 10 feet above the ground, but that was below the branches of most the trees. All was fine, but then the Vision started to drift and a very thin spindle of a branch reached out and snagged the drone. (Yes I use the term "drone"). I should have never been flying in there. I knew it. But it was too tempting with all the kids and cousins running around and riding their bikes. Big mistake.

Here is my Vision now. Retrofitted for GoPro. It ain't pretty, but it works pretty well.

or just use the plate the camera comes with in box and cut down a little cleaner

Attachments

• rsz_img_0596.jpg
    rsz_img_0596.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 499
  • rsz_img_0599.jpg
    rsz_img_0599.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 444

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads