BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

I think that you are buying into the hysteria. DJI, 3DR and others have sold more than a million drones of various models over the past few years and ONE gets away from the operator and lands on the White House lawn. This makes it a threat to national security, how?
So, there's been 764 sightings of drones by pilots of manned aircraft. Has anyone paid attention to the AMA analysis of those sightings? Only 3.5 percent had any notation of the manned aircraft needing to take evasive action. (To keep it in perspective, that's about 0.0026% of the estimated million drones sold over the past few years). Any contact or near contact would be a bad thing, but it is the overwhelming exception that the news media wants you to perceive that personal drones are an out of control threat to life.

Personal drones are just not the menace that the news and general public want them to be.

No - you and I agree... it's the very LOUD minority (of idiots) that is causing the hype. My fear is that the hype is being fueled by the media - and the media is making this issue important to the unaware masses. Therefore - if something like registration is the worst thing that happens... I think it would be a win... a much bigger win than if there are (more) laws passed about where we can and cannot fly.

Am I missing something.
So everyone registers thier drone (which I assume is nothing more than your name with the make, model and serial no shown against it)

Then some tit flies over an airport.

Without shooting down the drone in order to get the serial number (assuming the drone is recovered and its legible after it's been shot down) how does this help anyone find out who it was?

You find the airport manager and call his office every time you fly. Eventually he will tire of taking your calls and probably offer to write a COA giving you permission to fly within certain parameters without having to notify the airport of every flight.

Note that the law says "notify", not obtain permission.

SMH. Well, I can try. I'm pretty sure no one is ever there though to take a call. And once snow starts falling, the whole thing shuts down for the winter (although I did notice an incoming plane in the middle of last winter once, which surprised me... I didn't realize they had it plowed). They have a phone number but no email, and a cobweb site that is pretty much never updated and content free (just "call this number for scenic flights"). I'm going to guess this will not go very well.

So you're saying the bad people don't register and the good ones do. Ipso facto, one could deduce registration makes people more responsible.

Bad cause and effect logic

More likely being good makes people register.

Let's say at the moment there are 9'900 responcible fliers and 100 idiots.

Registration comes in and the 9'900 good people register and continue to fly responsibly. The 100 idiots don't register and continue to fly like tits.

So there is still 9'900 good people and 100 tits, registration had no effect.

Am I missing something.
So everyone registers thier drone (which I assume is nothing more than your name with the make, model and serial no shown against it)

Without shooting down the drone in order to get the serial number (assuming the drone is recovered and its legible after it's been shot down) how does this help anyone find out who it was?

It's the US government - an entity that, by and large, is incapable of thinking that far ahead. :)

My best guess is that this is the start of something that will eventually lead to transponders or something similar being installed in drones, and being tracked by the authorities when one is being flown in an "irresponsible" (quotes used intentionally here) manner. If for no other reason than a build up to this type of nonsense, drone laws and drone registrations need to be fought against now.

I'm not sure where you live, but I've lived in a few states in midwest and eastern US and have never had to register a gun. It's probably a matter of different perspectives, but I view such requirements as a gross violation of privacy and a potential safety threat as well - and wouldn't consider obeying such a law if one were to go into effect where I live (or if I moved into such a jurisdiction).

If you ask me, drone registration is a faux-solution in search of a legitimate problem to address. I'm not aware of a single airplane that has crashed or a single plane full of passengers that have died as a result of somebody operating a drone. Instead of searching for maybe-someday problems to address, our government should be searching for ways to more effectively spend our money. This just tells me that the DOT, FAA, and other such organizations are grossly over-funded and over-staffed, and desperately need to be put through a reduction in force exercise.

I, for one, see a whole slew of issues with drone registration - and am steadfastly opposed to it. This creates a whole bureaucracy and wastes millions more taxpayer dollars. At its most benign, this forced registration scheme unnecessarily invades privacy - and at worst, invades personal liberties. At present I'm not entirely sure that I have any plans to comply.

This creates a whole slew of questions and potential problems as well. How do they intend to ensure compliance? Do they intend to force hobby shops to carry an undue burden of registering the drone at the point of sale? If so, how do they intend to deal with people who walk in to a hobby and pay all cash for the equipment, then register with a false name and address? Or will they place a further burden and invasion of privacy by requiring an identification to be validated as well? Will they require some sort of operators license or certificate to purchase? If so, how do they intend to combat people who just use a counterfeit certificate? (I'd be willing to bet that a number of hobbyists would consider the old "Photoshop it" approach if getting the certificate required a significant investment of time or money.)

How do they intend to deal with person-to-person purchases through eBay, CraigsList, and the like? If I decide to sell a drone to somebody on one of those sources (or similar), I'm sure as heck not going to do the government's job and register the sale. Heck, there are plenty of things that are significantly more "dangerous" today (like firearms) that go through private transactions with no requirement to report the sale to any government agency.

Perhaps this will help increase drone sales from shops in Canada or overseas? If US residents are forced to register domestic purchases, I can see some (myself included) who would turn to international purchases. It would be worth it to pay the extra shipping and transaction charges to avoid undue government interference and oversight. Heck, this might even give rise to some sort of "black market" domestically for unregistered drones.

At the end of the day, this requirement is silly and makes us not one single iota safer as a society. As such it is a bad policy that will hopefully be attacked in the courts and declared invalid soon thereafter.

VERY WELL SAID there sir !!!
Best thought out and best presented post of the entire thread!

I wish I could bypass the "like this" button and go directly to Love this post button!

Agreed. Many of our useless/unenforceable laws don't exist for the sake of the common good, or in order to protect the citizens -- rather, these laws are created in order to justify the existence of the lawmakers, and make it look like they are actually doing something. It is a symbiotic relationship between the media and the lawmakers...
  1. Media creates hysteria
  2. Low-information outraged public demands that lawmakers "do something!"
  3. Lawmakers respond with nonsense regulations to keep themselves employed and busy
  4. Media now has plenty of fodder for many news cycles and 'special reports' -- they no longer need to simply report the news -- they have found a way to generate it out of thin air.
  5. Lather, rinse, repeat.
This process, combined with political correctness gone mad, are taking us right down the tubes.

They are relying on this registration process to create a sense of fear in the 'tit', that he will get caught if he does stupid things with his "drone".

Am I missing something.

Agreed. Many of our useless/unenforceable laws don't exist for the sake of the common good, or in order to protect the citizens -- rather, these laws are created in order to justify the existence of the lawmakers, and make it look like they are actually doing something. It is a symbiotic relationship between the media and the lawmakers...
  1. Media creates hysteria
  2. Low-information outraged public demands that lawmakers "do something!"
  3. Lawmakers respond with nonsense regulations to keep themselves employed and busy
  4. Media now has plenty of fodder for many news cycles and 'special reports' -- they no longer need to simply report the news -- they have found a way to generate it out of thin air.
  5. Lather, rinse, repeat.
This process, combined with political correctness gone mad, are taking us right down the tubes.

They are relying on this registration process to create a sense of fear in the 'tit', that he will get caught if he does stupid things with his "drone".

Ohhhhhhhhhh
ANOTHER good one !

Intelligence in on a roll here today ;)

I read at another forum that this drone hysteria is just a test. A test to see how readily a certain segment of Americans could be whipped into a frenzy by the media (supporting a gubbmnet agenda), pitting Americans against Americans to create a desired popular demand for certain immediate government intervention and control against a particular group. Seeing as the actual damages done so far by drones is really nearly negligible, even on a global scale, it seemed more persuasive.

Looking back at history, this tactic has definitely been successfully used even before the Internet.

Perhaps far fetched...perhaps tin-foil fodder.......but definitely interesting.

Of course, it could all be for our "safety and security".

There is a lot of money to be made and they'll piece meal this year after year with several steps.
What is the obsession that some people have with money? It obviously comes from someone with no knowledge of how the US monetary system works. There has been absolutely no mention of how the registration will be paid for, and even if there is a fee for registration, the FAA is prohibited by law from recovering any more than the actual cost incurred. Currently the fee to register an aircraft is $5.00. I wouldn't call that "a lot of money to be made".

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Now this thread is about British phrases.....lmao

Oh I forgot.... we can't ever have any fun here. Lighten up francis - it was a funny line. I have kept it on topic for a majority of my posts. (not to mention the memes yada yada yada).... sheesh - for a guy against regulation - you sure seem to like regulating :)

SMH. Well, I can try. I'm pretty sure no one is ever there though to take a call. And once snow starts falling, the whole thing shuts down for the winter (although I did notice an incoming plane in the middle of last winter once, which surprised me... I didn't realize they had it plowed). They have a phone number but no email, and a cobweb site that is pretty much never updated and content free (just "call this number for scenic flights"). I'm going to guess this will not go very well.
Start a new thread and I will attempt to answer your question. This is off topic.

Darn!
Oh I forgot.... we can't ever have any fun here. Lighten up francis - it was a funny line. I have kept it on topic for a majority of my posts. (not to mention the memes yada yada yada).... sheesh - for a guy against regulation - you sure seem to like regulating :)

lmao

We should be paying for the entertainment this thread is providing.
How do you make donations?

Priceless! :D

What is the obsession that some people have with money? It obviously comes from someone with no knowledge of how the US monetary system works. There has been absolutely no mention of how the registration will be paid for, and even if there is a fee for registration, the FAA is prohibited by law from recovering any more than the actual cost incurred. Currently the fee to register an aircraft is $5.00. I wouldn't call that "a lot of money to be made".

C'mon Steve.
It doesn't take a Harvard degree to know that a lot of what government does IS about revenue.
Maybe even if at this time it doesn't appear that way in this case...yet.
You can honestly say you disagree with that?

Wait...Off Topic....will have to take this to the appropriate section.
My bad.

This was presented by the DOT, not FAA. Big difference. Looks at how much your vehicle registrations are.

This was presented by the DOT, not FAA. Big difference. Looks at how much your vehicle registrations are.
Looks like DOT and FAA are involved per this: US Department of Transportation assembling task force for drone registration | ZDNet

I'm guessing the big money won't be coming from registration fees. The money will be flowing from companies and special interests to try to move this in their preferred direction. If DJI and the other big players line enough pockets, this won't hurt a bit. Doing illegal, stupid things with your UAV will be... well... illegal. On the other hand, if the ransom isn't paid then we'll be relegated to the column of airspace over our own back yards, minus a setback from our property lines.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures