Brand new controller is useless! (Not anymore!)

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
Had a hard time getting started today. Wasted too many hours on my first day of flight training getting the controller to work. It was hung up on the login page. Finally started tapping and swiping and at last the home page reappeared. Too bad all my time is up for today. Terrible software!

UPDATE: Got the wifi working finally and updated the controller software. Then on to updating the aircraft software. I let it download and took a walk. Got back and the screen is completely off and nothing wakes it up. I have no idea if it happened or still happening. I don't see any other option but to turn it off and reboot. Who invented this stuff?

Last edited:
Had a hard time getting started today. Wasted too many hours on my first day of flight training getting the controller to work. It was hung up on the login page. Finally started tapping and swiping and at last the home page reappeared. Too bad all my time is up for today. Terrible software!
So what happen , did you get connected after homepage come back,,,never sign out of app that way you stay logged in,

After you reboot device what does djigo4 app say firmware is,,did it load,,your device not metion,so bit unsure,,,,,,,dji invented this stuff,,it runs good if you have good device

Reactions: Randy57
Who cares if you sit and watch. It makes no difference. The screen and download shut down multiple times while I updated the controller and drone software and databases. It would have done it if you were watching! I had to power down and restart each time. Not happy with this stuff.

Who cares if you sit and watch. It makes no difference. The screen and download shut down multiple times while I updated the controller and drone software and databases. It would have done it if you were watching! I had to power down and restart each time. Not happy with this stuff.
OK Carm down I just like to be there,,you still haven't metion your device,is it sort of capable of working app ok,,,,if your screen shutting down it might not be able to run djigo4,,it's a large app compared to djigo for p3 range

Also you need to be there because when firmware Finnish it ask you to restart aircraft,I recall doing this part,if you not there to complete it things like this happen,,,I'm not moaning at you I'm sue it's the process,,relinking is also recomended but sometimes not needed,,,just trying to help remember

Reactions: rangioran

UPDATE: Got the wifi working finally and updated the controller software. Then on to updating the aircraft software. I let it download and took a walk. Got back and the screen is completely off and nothing wakes it up. I have no idea if it happened or still happening. I don't see any other option but to turn it off and reboot. Who invented this stuff?
So is it safe to assume that you are talking about a new P4P Plus v2.0 with a built in screen?

Which versions did it have out of the box? Did everything test out okay before you started changing the FW versions?

Rather than walk away at the start of the update process, perhaps it would be more prudent to monitor everything for any pop up dialog boxes or so that you’d know if it had completed or is not yet complete. I mean since the drone and the updating process is new to you, maybe get used to it a bit before leaving it unattended during something so critical.

What did it look like once you rebooted? Does it test out okay?

It is the Plus version with the built in monitor. I can't remember the version that was pre-installed. The system simply told me to update it before it would move on to setup. Perhaps there was a way to override that but I believe in running the latest OS. After a few tries I got it done. And had my first two successful training flights today. Thanks for your patience with me.. This stuff should be so automated that you can't go wrong. I'm fine now, rant over!

Last edited:
It is the Plus version with the built in monitor. I can't remember the version that was pre-installed. The system simply told me to update it before it would move on to setup. Perhaps there was a way to override that but I believe in running the latest OS. After a few tries I got it done. And had my first two successful training flights today. Hanks for your patience with me.. This stuff should be so automated that you can't go wrong. I'm fine now, rant over!
Man so glad you get it going,,hey ranting is good,,keeps the brain alive,,we all know these phantoms can give a mean headache when things not right,,,remember to post some pics for us ,good luck and enjoy :):):),,glad to I know nothing about built in screens,,,I avoid normally,,hey also take your time to learn,,there's no hurry,,hurrys result in crashing

Jeff, is this your first drone? I’m only asking because I got my first one a week ago. I’m on a huge learning curve, I’ve read the manuals, but not enough. Today, after I launched (well, thats when I noticed it..) a warning telling me something like, when you are not flying in P-GPS, I had to be very cautious. (I couldn’t remember what position those toggle switches are supposed to be in...). I didn’t know what to do.. i was already airborn, because ithe screen said I was good to go. I know I’ve read it at least twice. My manual said it defaults to P GPS regardless of where the toggle is. So I’m a little confused there. So I’ll read it again. I dont t mind one bit.

I’m glad you got your AC up and going! (PS ... I couldn’t tell you what version I hd to start with either, or what I have now.

Everyone here has been so helpful and patient with all kinds of questions, going back thru the old posts.you’ll find that too, Jeff. You have come to the right place! Tons of experienced people here to help.

Blue skies!

Last edited:
Well, thanks Rodee for the kind reply. First drone. Can't tell you what all those warnings are, but I had my share of buzzing and blinking lights today, too. One time it told me I was 15 feet from something but I was up and away from everything. When It reached 10% battery remaining it started to threaten me and that only distracted me from concentrating to see if RTH was working. Finally it descended straight down to a feathered landing on grass. with 7% left. I was trying to look at the display more than up in the air. A few times it was out of my sight for the first time and that forced me to use the display view to navigate. I'm sure I'll figure this part out so I can get to the creative stuff soon.

Reactions: Rodee34
Buddy, we are in the same boat! Are you in "beginner's mode" to start out with? It's a great option for us newbies. (Esp.. If you're in the middle of downtown Dallas or Fort Worth.

Also on your profile page here, you might want to add your model of drone, your phone, iPad or whatever, so the knowledgeable people here can help figure out if there have been "issues" with that type of equipment etc. I need to update mine too, actually.

Have fun with your new toy, or piece of equipment! Lots of folks here are very experienced in all types, they'll help you

Jeff, is this your first drone? I’m only asking because I got my first one a week ago. I’m on a huge learning curve, I’ve read the manuals, but not enough. Today, after I launched (well, thats when I noticed it..) a warning telling me something like, when you are not flying in P-GPS, I had to be very cautious. (I couldn’t remember what position those toggle switches are supposed to be in...). I didn’t know what to do.. i was already airborn, because ithe screen said I was good to go. I know I’ve read it at least twice. My manual said it defaults to P GPS regardless of where the toggle is. So I’m a little confused there. So I’ll read it again. I dont t mind one bit.

I’m glad you got your AC up and going! (PS ... I couldn’t tell you what version I hd to start with either, or what I have now.

Everyone here has been so helpful and patient with all kinds of questions, going back thru the old posts.you’ll find that too, Jeff. You have come to the right place! Tons of experienced people here to help.

Blue skies!
You can check firmware here,,general settings go down to where says ABOUT and click ,,,this my p4 but p4p have same settings
Screenshot_20181203-185106.jpg
Screenshot_20181203-185120.jpg

I know... I was just learning that Red LED's are in the front of the AC, Green is in the back. Then today I got Yellow lights, I was like, hey...!!!

I had to cancel RTH twice.. She was about 4 feet off the ground, in arms reach if I needed that. So I caught her midair and shut her down. (Of course a great sunset appeared.. Oh well, there will be others!

I know... I was just learning that Red LED's are in the front of the AC, Green is in the back. Then today I got Yellow lights, I was like, hey...!!!

I had to cancel RTH twice.. She was about 4 feet off the ground, in arms reach if I needed that. So I caught her midair and shut her down. (Of course a great sunset appeared.. Oh well, there will be others!
Um ok yellow ok ,means atti mode where pgps is not strong which means your in control so watch the wind it will drift with it till a good gps signal returns,that's why you get a fly with caution onscreen,, unsure why you got rth twice,anything block signal or line of sight,,,,love how you worded that (caught mid air and shut down) what a pro :)great stuff,,yip I'm a sunset catcher,,colours are unreal, there's a sunset every nite so post some pics for us to see,,,it's the way to see the world safely from home,,nearly forgot,,download some light charts ,they good to know,,,I keep on on me remote so there no panicking
1543818291502-377170319.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rodee34
LOL! Thanks Ian! I started off red and green and the red turned to yellow, kind of at the end - So I assumed it meant low battery since my screen flashed that as well.

Low battery = yellow lights - right? P3 SE.

Ah thanks, Ian, For the life of me today, I couldn't land on the cardboard platform I had made. So I caught mid-air with the right hand and shut it down in the left. Big step. The alternative was to let her shut down where the camera could be compromised, or the blades, or both.

These are phantom 3,,,now this is one area that dji has not updated for long time,we'll since I been here,,I say that because some drones make there own light patterns and it a guessing game what is going on,,these came up when I Google phantom 3 se drone so there still no change,,low batt will be red flashing with your remote beeping at you,,this is another area you should check,,first warning and critical warning,,they are in settings where displays you batt levels,example my first warning at 30% critical at 10% ,,,,corect myself,,,red and yellow for p3.also add front red LEDs are for navigation the rear lights say what goes on
Screenshot_20180802-202600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus