Black goo of death removal

Reaction score
I ordered a spare receiver to see if I could get the black goo off without damaging my bird. I watched Tony's way along with another guy who I would love to give credit to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPhd0FDsMmo

Anyways I have a small electric nail grinder for dogs (basically a glorified dremel thats battery operated) I exchanged the sanding drum for a cut-off wheel that was almost used up. Since the wheel was mostly used up it was small and easier to control in tight spots.

So the nail grinder has a very low speed that works perfectly for tearing into the black goo while keeping control of the grinder. The slower the better. The goo actually comes off with little effort and I was able to get both connectors off in less than 10 minutes.

The one thing I did that the guy in the video did not was to grind the top of the connecter on the cable side. This gave me a better visual of the goo and an easier/safer way to grind.

Once all the goo was off, I wiped it with acetone making sure I got everything. I then grabbed some pliers slowly and gently twisted until it moved and popped it straight off.

I hope this helps others. Time to order my antennas :)

Reactions: 808 Oahu Realtor
Removing the glue allows unplugging the stock antennas and plugging in higher gain antennas.

The glue is very sturdy. Several people have managed to break their receivers while trying to remove it.

There was a guy on here who was selling the boards with the antenna's already removed.I have always thought about doing this mod as i think you will get better reception than doing the solder job on the original antenna's.
Very very important to use good glue when fitting new antenna's as you dont want them coming loose which = no control signal thats why Dji use good quality cement .

Last edited:
Just Orderd a board off amazon with the wires removed. Much worth my time and head ache.
I will follow up to let you all know how it works.
Is a hot glue gun best to fit the new wires, to make sure they do not come off in flight?

Just Orderd a board off amazon with the wires removed. Much worth my time and head ache.
I will follow up to let you all know how it works.
Is a hot glue gun best to fit the new wires, to make sure they do not come off in flight?
You got a link to the Amazon ones .

Ok so update on the one on Amazon which says the wires are off. IS BS!!! I was so Pissed.
I got the part and its has wires. So back to the drawing board and try to get them off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.44.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.44.42 AM.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_9303.jpg
    IMG_9303.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 555
But there is no epoxy.... So just unplug the wires? I don't really see the problem....

There is a Black epoxy which is HELL to get off. But I got a dermal and used a sand paper wheel to get it off. Result done!!!
I have two other boards coming, I will do a video and post.

i have a bunch as i remove the black cement on a daily basis on these.
here is a link i created just for one side how i do it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing