Birdside Antenna Mod

hey @Procharged97 where you at .. i think this is up your ally.

and Silverwingflinx .. are those what i think they are? :)

View attachment 77540
Yoooo im here!!! Ive used the stock rc antennas and soldered rf402 with sma. What Silver has done will work, you could also get some rg178 and solder to the element. Fpvhorizon did something similar but used sma's to attach to the legs. A guy from another group was using them, ill see if i can dig up some pics.

The question every one likes to ask :) .... can't you got far? How much more ?

Here is the pic of the dudes setup...
1488566210513.png

The question every one likes to ask :) .... can't you got far? How much more ?

In my case, im flying really far. I want guarantee'd signal. I want 100% signal at 13+ miles out. Why? Because at 70k, if you lose signal RTH doesnt work, it autolands. And, why not? its like putting a turbo or a supercharger on a car. Probably don't "need" to do it, but we do cause its darn fun and hauls azz!

In my case, im flying really far. I want guarantee'd signal. I want 100% signal at 13+ miles out. Why? Because at 70k, if you lose signal RTH doesnt work, it autolands. And, why not? its like putting a turbo or a supercharger on a car. Probably don't "need" to do it, but we do cause its darn fun and hauls azz!
I just love to mod these p3s push it to the limit and beyond.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing pro! that setup looks interesting, i would say very fragile! I'd be more inclined to do what Silverwingflinx is doing and tape it to the landing gear :)
one other fact to mention each sma connection decreases your DBI by 1 DBI.

So i'm learning on antennas, why does sma connection = 1 dbi loss? Wouldn't it rather cause noise in the line? It seems like the method creates a single connection with continuity .. why is that connector adding loss in dbi?

Reactions: Procharged97
So i'm learning on antennas, why does sma connection = 1 dbi loss? Wouldn't it rather cause noise in the line? It seems like the method creates a single connection with continuity .. why is that connector adding loss in dbi?
I am not an expert but I do know there is a loss of signal through the metal sma connection.same as loss of signal due to the length of wire or cable.google it for better info.or see immersion RF meter on u-tube.that will explain it better.

Last edited:

It ads Resistance, those connectors are 50ohm connectors compared with other kinds they are ultra low R rating. So they lower the output of the radio TX that it's actually a current in Watts. Dbi it's just another scale to express the gains as it's not linear with the watts ... so the real loss depends in many aspect like quality of connector (real R) current (watts) of TX , dirty connector, etc but most of the application it's around 1 dbi.... same thing happens with the leng of the cable add resistece ....

Digdat0 please tell me more about the bird not RTH when far away... it's a surprise for me .. or link me to a thread to read about . I had no idea of this...

Thanks, I currently have a setup like this

25b5c4bb9a22c298562e85e965d045bb.jpg

And want to make it a little cleaner should be able to just connect the 2.4ghz phantom 3 pro leg antennas.
Yes you can use those antennas but read the specs on the antenna.see which has the highest DB gain.P3 or P3S??

Digdat0 please tell me more about the bird not RTH when far away... it's a surprise for me .. or link me to a thread to read about . I had no idea of this...

There isn't a thread here, there are a few closed fb groups with distance fliers where this came up. Atleast 3-4 of us have encountered a situation where, after your aircraft is 70,000+ feet away from home point, if RTH is initiated (either manually or via lost signal), the behaviour of the aircraft is to auto land rather than return to home. I personally had this happen and had a farmer call after it landed in his donkey pen. HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

You can also test this it in the simulator in DJI Go. If you do, fly with the wind and use atti mode to get out that far faster.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
There isn't a thread here, there are a few closed fb groups with distance fliers where this came up. Atleast 3-4 of us have encountered a situation where, after your aircraft is 70,000+ feet away from home point, if RTH is initiated (either manually or via lost signal), the behaviour of the aircraft is to auto land rather than return to home. I personally had this happen and had a farmer call after it landed in his donkey pen. HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

You can also test this it in the simulator in DJI Go. If you do, fly with the wind and use atti mode to get out that far faster.
Thanks for the information I did not know this either! 70,000 feet that is awesome no wonder your interested in doing this bird side mod.fly high fly safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: Digdat0
View attachment 77547 Ok so here is an update! Image transmission on Dji app is through the roof,channels 1to20 working extremely well.have even more green bars spiking higher on channels then b4 and the red bars are spiking almost touching the top of bar graph.so in conclusion higher DB signal.also in this same spot sitting on my table,when I would turn on my P3 I would receive weak transmission signal do to my wifi,but now with this mod I have no interference.hhhhhhmmmmm ok! No weak transmission signal.

Thank You SilverWingflinx!!!
For picking up where I left off...
I hope it Flies just as GOOD as the Bench test!!!

Hi Kenneth yes not able todo a test flight yet.but exspecting better signal strength.hope your mod goes well.fly high fly safe!

My only concern now is the placement of patch antennas,and direction of the antenna on the bird.the orientation may need to be played with???

IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
Well one more step in the evolution of these antennas seem to be identical haveing the H configuration on one side and long linear line on other side.so mounting and signal streath or orientation,you Will have to mount antennas in the same way Dji has them installed.what I am saying is the H side of antennas 2 facing forward and 2 facing back .i am haveing better confidence in doing this mod! Think I better keep these small white patch antennas.for future mods!

Last edited:
Reactions: Digdat0
My only concern now is the placement of patch antennas ,and direction of the antenna on the bird.the orientation may need to be played with???
I looked into that... It seems I am wrong.... :(
The PCB antennae are not Directional...
They are Omni :)
This seems like it is the OEM Leg antenna...
2X 2.4Ghz 4dbi internal antenna PCB built-in aerial OMNI ipex 47.5*7.2mm NEW | eBay
It is Omni...
and So Is the R/C OEM ones...
They do not have a shield or (panel) to direct the signal
Which would make them Directional...
Soooo... Their placement (orientation) other than vertical should not be of any concern...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves