Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Bird control from the ground?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FRS, Jun 25, 2014.

1. FRS

FRS

I have noticed that birds are super drawn towards my phantom. I've had a really close call and it scared me. Does anyone else have super aggressive birds in your area? A loud noise or a shotgun would be great but I typically shoot inside the city so not the best option for me.

2. darwin-t

I had some hawks circling mine, but I don't think they were at the same altitude. I only get a couple of frames of one of them.

3. FRS

FRS

Mine are these pesky little black birds of south Texas. They are everywhere.. And for some crazy reason really like the phantom.

4. Mal_PV2_Ireland

They are most likely nesting and see you as a threat. They're out warning you away from the nest. Be careful, they've been known to take rc craft out of the air.

5. Happyflyer

I have had it happen twice now. Odd because it was sea gulls one time. The other time it was out in a farmers big field. Big and black so guess they were crows. Flapped around for a short time and left. They better not dive down on it or they are going to loose some feathers or their head.

6. kitari

I just recently had that happen to me as well, it was a swarm of blackbirds and they just kept flying around it and occasionally swooping down at it. I tried to get some video of it but hit the camera button instead of video so I just have a random picture of a tree. If it happens again I'll be sure to try to hit that record button.

7. Fordzuki

I have a few swallows living in the tree in my backyard and they'll come out and fly around with it but never really get closer than 15-20 ft from it. I've managed to get a couple cool still shots of them so I don't do anything to deter them. Crows I could see being more aggressive because of how they treat the gulls around here.

8. enseth

I'm not basing this on experience but I recon in most cases a birds would come off second best in an altercation with four fast rotating quad copter blades.

9. Mal_PV2_Ireland

You'd be very surprised, they are so agile that they can hit from the side and underneath with no problems but can take a phantom out by attacking from above too
    Birds attack phantom drone quad-copter causing cr…: http://youtu.be/DzfiLmbhvqg
    DJI Phantom Crash!! Bird attack!!: http://youtu.be/ZmxmqHoSPlE

10. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

I've had a couple of big red tail hawks keeping tabs on the P2V on more than one occasion, but never got really close. What I DO have is a screen shot from a video showing a really startled mourning dove. I took a fast turn and was really moving. When I reviewed the video, I saw something flash by. Freeze frame showed the dove doing everything it could to put the brakes on. :D

I'll try to dig up that pic...

-slinger

11. enseth

Had a look at the videos and it seems I'm wrong. I bow to your greater knowledge.

12. Mal_PV2_Ireland

I didn't believe it until I saw the videos myself ;)