Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigBadFun said:
I'm getting massive anti-clockwise TBE using Beta 2 and quick extreme J-Hooking. Something I didn't notice in Beta 1.

Uhmm, did you say beta 1? Please explain.

You're going to need to retest. Go back to 3.04, check everything, then apply the beta again.

cliveg said:
So has the Beta been made publicly available yet or has it just been leaked?

How do we get it?

You will need to wait for the general release. Note that requests for leaks are not permitted in this thread and shouldn't be permitted in this forum.

So the current Beta 2 results are TBE and j-hook at the onset but quickly adjusts?

d4ddyo said:
So the current Beta 2 results are TBE and j-hook at the onset but quickly adjusts?

I didn't see any major j-hooking but I did see TBE on my first flight on hover for about 30 seconds or so. It stopped after that.

The previous 15-degree-right-angle-flight (due to my -15 degree declination) on straight forward stick input was down to maybe 2 degrees on the first 70m straight run attempt. It disappeared after about 1-2 minutes.

I had some unexpected altitude adjustments happening and minor wander on stop after a long straight run and full stop. The minor wander on full stop cleared up also in a minute or two.

Hope that helps.

Overall I think it's a night and day improvement over anything we had before.

damoncooper said:
d4ddyo said:

I didn't see any major j-hooking but I did see TBE on my first flight on hover for about 30 seconds or so. It stopped after that.

The previous 15-degree-right-angle-flight (due to my -15 degree declination) on straight forward stick input was down to maybe 2 degrees on the first 70m straight run attempt. It disappeared after a about 1-2 minutes.

I had some unexpected altitude adjustments happening and minor wander on stop after a long straight run and full stop. The minor wander on full stop cleared up also in a minute or two.

Hope that helps.

Awesome. I think they should get this out in a release ASAP then... But still fine tune betas. Get the rest of is back in the air.

d4ddyo said:
damoncooper said:
d4ddyo said:

The previous 15-degree-right-angle-flight (due to my -15 degree declination) on straight forward stick input was down to maybe 2 degrees on the first 70m straight run attempt. It disappeared after a about 1-2 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Awesome. I think they should get this out in a release ASAP then... But still fine tune betas. Get the rest of is back in the air.

+1

damoncooper said:

I think this is the change in gains. I noticed it a lot more when I hit the default button on the gains in the first beta.

ianwood said:
damoncooper said:

I think this is the change in gains. I noticed it a lot more when I hit the default button on the gains in the first beta.

Gotcha. Are you running with default gains now? To clarify, my test runs were with your previous gains (posted above).

Two items related to my 3.0.5b2 test flight:

• Flytrex data of my first 3.0.5b2 test run:
    http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-dji-phantom-2-non-vision--damon-cooper-50621

(ignore the altitude reading, on my TODO list is to properly mount my Core 2 so the barometer is catching free air)

• Video of the first run TBE and correction after first takeoff and subsequent first few straight-line attempts runs down a straight line on a soccer field:

Two shots in this video:

Scene 1: At 1X speed: TBE present in first hover for about 30 seconds, then self-correction.
    Scene 2: At 4X speed: Small amount of deviation from straight line commanded heading but little to no J-Hook at the end.

https://vimeo.com/100903443

I have quoted my own text test report for easy reference.
I have uploaded three videos to youtube from my testing of 3.05b2 which all look similar to 3.05b1
1. Tests with IOC off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-sayy1 ... ObwC0HUbmg
2. Tests with IOC on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQageT ... ObwC0HUbmg
3. Fun test with CL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeQFwMk ... mg&index=1

John Shaw said:
I just got back from a test of the latest (2nd) beta release. As Ianwood said earlier, it is very similar to what I experienced with the 1st beta release. For comparison I did I copy and paste of my 1st beta report and will put my 2nd beta comments in bold where appropriate, otherwise it's still the same.

I updated my Phantom and headed out to a local soccer field.

I am slightly southeast of Seattle Washington USA
The local declination is 17 degrees.
I have a Phantom 2 Vision
I use NAZA mode & IOC as needed

I had noticed the declination problem on some of my first flights, my son and I commented when we saw it but we just ignored it as we were low on the learning curve. After ianwood published his intial testing, analysis and video it all made sense. I used a local soccer field since the lines and layout gave a good frame of reference. I was seeing significant TBE, left drift, and JHook that would improve with time. Using the soccer field as a calibration reference I determined my intial error was twice my declination. This also shows up in Course Lock and is most dramatically seen in Course Lock.

My testing today went great. Light winds and threatening rain clouds but it stayed dry. I did a compass calibration and took off. (today no threatening clouds but the winds were about 10 mph based on an anemometer reading)
Right from the start there was NO TBE. You could see some initial minor motion, I am talking about less than a foot, but it didn't swirl at all. ( I would say we saw slightly more motion today but nothing major)
I lined up with the sideline as best I could. The inital run had some left drift and just enough JHook to be noticed. I estimated that it was about 30% (very approximate) of what it was before. On the return, just by pulling back on the stick, I could tell it was dramatically improved. PreBeta even with more JHook away from me the return would JHook back over my head necessitating some control input to get it stopped. With the Beta software today it flew almost straight down the center of the field with almost no JHook.
My second run appeared to have almost no drift or JHook, likewise the return. Same on subsequent runs.
I then switched to Course Lock to see if the initial lock showed any effect. My impression was that there was still some Course Lock error proportional to the overall reduced effect. I then lined it up and and reset the course lock reference in flight. Course Lock then worked correctly and showed little to no error and could have been somewhat pilot induced (my error).
So today was nearly identical and after course lock was reset in flight I did a sideways high speed run down the sideline with the Phantom facing into the field and it worked perfectly

We tried some limited testing in Ground Station mode and it seemed to work similar and as well as the GS testing I ran yesterday with 1st beta - so no detrimental effect. We were going to do more but I we kept disconnecting and I am not sure why. Will try more tests later and hope to put up some videos but they won't be much different than 1st beta. With a growing number of soccer players gathering we decided to call it quits for the day. But I can report that no soccer players were injured during this testing (none even complained).

There was only an app update for iOC and I have android devices so we couldn't figure how we could do any app testing.

Has anyone noticed any decrease of the initial hook on subsequent flights/batteries? Or does it appear the same each time?

My flytrex is installed and my declination is -23 am from Brazil if they need another tester for this version.

ianwood said:
Has anyone noticed any decrease of the initial hook on subsequent flights/batteries? Or does it appear the same each time?

I didn't want to mention it cuz I suspect it is just a user observation issue (ie me).

But call me crazy, I didn't experience TBE or j-hook on 2nd flight that I recall. My memory though is good but short. I will go back and look at my flight #2 footage and verify this evening and report back.

KassioLM said:
My flytrex is installed and my declination is -23 am from Brazil if they need another tester for this version.

That's some serious declination there son. Wow, it must seriously suck to be flying a Phantom there!

damoncooper said:
KassioLM said:

That's some serious declination there son. Wow, it must seriously suck to be flying a Phantom there!

You have no idea! :!: :!: :!:

ianwood said:
BigBadFun said:
I'm getting massive anti-clockwise TBE using Beta 2 and quick extreme J-Hooking. Something I didn't notice in Beta 1.

HOLD THE PHONE!!! Stupid user error - BETA 2 is beautiful!

Sorry Ian - I must have stuffed something up in the upgrade. Got confused with the version anomalies 3.04 3.4 3.5 3.05 (geez they can't get anything right)

I was also referring to BETA 1 testing I've done with Paul's quad. He has an identical setup and we've flown each others machines side by side comparing 3.04 and B1. But he never let me test B1 on my machine don't worry.

SO GREAT NEWS FOR KIWI FLYERS.

BETA 2 is really really solid. ZERO TBE on takeoff, hovers solid as a rock. Slight J-Hook on first run (maybe 5 degrees). But this is completely cleared up within less than 30 seconds (ie: 2nd run - NO hook at all!)

Only small thing I noticed was at the end of a straight run, once you release sticks it climbs about 0.5m in altitude, then sinks by about 1m while coming to a stop. This may be solved with some gain tweaking. I will experiment.

So I'm using stock props, Zen2D gimbal and GoPro3.

Gains giving good results for me are : 120-120-120-180 / 180-180

People are going to be very happy with this release.

BigBadFun said:
ianwood said:
BigBadFun said:

HOLD THE PHONE!!! Stupid user error - BETA 2 is beautiful!

Sorry Ian - I must have stuffed something up in the upgrade. Got confused with the version anomalies 3.04 3.4 3.5 3.05 (geez they can't get anything right)

I was also referring to BETA 1 testing I've done with Paul's quad. He has an identical setup and we've flown each others machines side by side comparing 3.04 and B1. But he never let me test B1 on my machine don't worry.

BETA 2 is really really solid. ZERO TBE on takeoff, hovers solid as a rock. Slight J-Hook on first run (maybe 5 degrees). But this is completely cleared up within less than 30 seconds (ie: 2nd run - NO hook at all!)

Only small thing I noticed was at the end of a straight run, once you release sticks it climbs about 0.5m in altitude, then sinks by about 1m while coming to a stop. This may be solved with some gain tweaking. I will experiment.

So I'm using stock props, Zen2D gimbal and GoPro3.

good news for everyone. RELEASE IT!!!!

ianwood said:

Hello Ian et. al.
After reading this note and spending a couple of hours kicking myself for not thinking about this when I was testing yesterday, I decided to go take a look. My able assistant is "on the road" and the temps are around 87degF. I know in LA you consider this a cold snap, but here in the Pacific Northwest it's considered HOT"

I am a bit confused but I'll give you my raw impression...

Yesterdays testing went through the normal learning sequence and I did fly down 2 batteries. So on my first run today I watched to see if it remembered anything from yesterday. My first reaction was no - There appeared to be left drift but there was no JHook. I did a few more runs and it seemed to go generally through the usual cycle but more slowly. I tried CL and noticed some minor drift. I landed, shutdown, pulled the battery, and waited a few minutes.

I put the battery back in and powered up. My first reaction was it was over compensating on drift and went slightly right but again no JHook. The next few runs were pretty well behaved - no drift - no JHook. Again I shut down, removed the battery, and waited.

I did this cycke a few more times and it did look like it was learning. Later runs went straight right from the first run (no drift) and had no JHook. and when I tried course lock with the takeoff lock still in effect it went straight down the line.

So I am hopeful that it is learning and the first few odd behaviors were part of the learning process. I don't know how long I should have kept the battery out as the board undoubtedly has some capacitance. I would say I was shut down for a least 5 minutes and the battery was out for 3-4 minutes.

On all runs TBE was minimal, hardly detectable, wanting to stand in some shade I often took off and landed in very confined space and there was no stress. I would then fly out over the soccer field and conduct the test.

So don't view this as absolute, but it is my impression so far. I will now watch my videos and see what else I can glean. I'll be watching to see if others see the same thing - and if I see the same thing on my next tests.

Any word from DJI on what we should be expecting?

BigBadFun said:
I'll be trying b2 later today, and tomorrow. Will report back findings from the lower mag-dec area in the north of NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3