Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xrover said:
I'm thinking the P2 Platform was designed with a basic GPS/Compass system that possibly does not have a sophisticated enough design to allow software or firmware corrections required.

My guess is the next Gen Phantom will have a redesigned Compass and GPS.

But the Phantom does have the software to make the corrections. It makes the exact corrections required in the first 7 minutes of every flight. It just doesn't save that information in non-volatile memory to use the next time it's powered on.

This thread wouldn't exist if it did that simple thing. I think it's ridiculous that the Phantom can keep you from flying near hundreds of airports around the world by keeping the locations in flash memory, but can't spare a few bytes of memory to remember how it sync'd the compass and GPS the last time it flew.

xtonex said:
I dont think the slow down has anything to do with the declination issue since its limited in 3.04

The declination issue and J-hooking is actually worse when it's slowed down. I tested this and posted a video about it yesterday. I flew my Phantom across a football field so I could measure the distance it went off course by using the hash-marks and yard markers.

Bottom line- It went 30 percent farther left when I limited the forward angle to about the new limit. There was basically no wind when I tested. I'm still on 3.0. Apparently you can't test this if you have 3.04.

Can you tell dji to fix the sloooooooow 10mps speed I now fly in with the 3.04 firmware? And the horizon problems with the zen 3d?

It sounds like DJI is playing with fire.
I am not concerned about reasonable speed limits... on a calm day, but...
When the wind speed exceeds the speed limit neither you nor the autopilot can counteract the wind and the Phantom will drift uncontrollably which is a fly away. In flight training we were taught that wind speed at 1000 feet is double surface speed. I stay below 400 feet but even there the wind speed is higher than at the surface. If the limit is in the 10m/s range it would seem to be getting into conditions that most don't even consider a windy day. We are going to have to be careful.

Agree. I think you are going to see more of us flirting with Manual mode for these reasons. Until Big Brother decides to impose (or attempt) speed limits there too...

Kelly

John Shaw said:
It sounds like DJI is playing with fire.
I am not concerned about reasonable speed limits... on a calm day, but...
When the wind speed exceeds the speed limit neither you nor the autopilot can counteract the wind and the Phantom will drift uncontrollably which is a fly away. In flight training we were taught that wind speed at 1000 feet is double surface speed. I stay below 400 feet but even there the wind speed is higher than at the surface. If the limit is in the 10m/s range it would seem to be getting into conditions that most don't even consider a windy day. We are going to have to be careful.

Ageed

I don't fly very fast that often so I haven't noticed a huge difference. It is slower but not by that much, at least for me. I am not in favor of limits unless there is justification like flight stability or something like that. It's like having an artificial speed governor on a car. Yuck. Anyway, the limits are a different topic for a different thread.

I believe it's a limitation in degrees of pitch and roll, and thus John's concern is a valid one I share.

Agree with Ian this should probably go to its own new thread.

Kelly

AnselA said:
What is the Phantoms "speed"? If the speed is calculated from GPS signals then it's relative to the ground not to air.

34.5 miles per hour on my Vision+ with 3.0 firmware on a 2-way speed check that negates the effect of wind and gives you true airspeed. That's a bit more than 15 meters/second.

Slowing it down to 22.5 mph with the 3.04, or 3.05 when it's released, is not a problem for me where I live, but will be a where I planned to fly and video this summer. On the Oregon North Coast, 15 mph is considered a light breeze and it gets up over 20 mph before you know it. Those are pretty much unflyable conditions with the new limit.

Ian's right about having another thread. But I do believe it's appropriate to talk about the speed issue here for a while since DJI is solving one problem, but forcing you to accept a new problem in return. I didn't know about 3.04 setting a lower speed limit until somebody pointed it out in relation to one of the 3.05 beta tester's reports.

Other than the declination problem, I've been really happy with the performance of my P2V+. So there may be a hard choice to make in the near future.

I've flown in up to 20 mph winds. I can tell you that it is not a lot of fun. Sure, you can do it, but you are at the limits of the GPS being able to compensate and it just flat was no fun. I generally use 12 to 15 as my personal max right now when flying for fun. Both my Visions (one reg one +) are both running 3.04 and I have not had an issue with either one.

Perfectly OK to talk about the speed change here since it is part of the fix. IMHO

ianwood said:
Andy T said:
Perfectly OK to talk about the speed change here since it is part of the fix. IMHO

No it's not and no it isn't. Speed change has nothing to do with the declination fix. You can talk about slow here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16776

Thanks for finding that thread. I was looking around this morning, didn't see it, and search won't let you enter a term like 3.04.

But it definitely has to do with the declination fix. As it stands you can't the fix without the speed reduction.

But I made my point earlier and will drop it in this thread.

Thanks for all you've done Ian. Just amazing how much you accomplished!

Dadcat said:
ianwood said:
Andy T said:

No it's not and no it isn't. Speed change has nothing to do with the declination fix. You can talk about slow here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16776

Thanks for finding that thread. I was looking around this morning, didn't see it, and search won't let you enter a term like 3.04.

But it definitely has to do with the declination fix. As it stands you can't the fix without the speed reduction.

But I made my point earlier and will drop it in this thread.

Thanks for all you've done Ian. Just amazing how much you accomplished!

Cracks me up... everyone thinks that they are right. In the mean while... this **** bug is HORRIBLE!!!!! seriously. The thing I love about this thing is to be able to fly in GPS mode and CL mode when filming. I did film yesterday... i'm so used to flying GPS mode... if i wanted ATT mode I would fly one of my scratch builds.... but even deliberately flying slow you can see the course correction... only the last half of the footage is usable... the first half might be salvageable with a better video editing program.

The reduced tilt (air speed) issue is a serious one and deserves attention. A fix for the compass issue isn't really an acceptable fix if it introduce other serious issues. Ok, to be fair 3.04 already has the reduced speed but there is little reason to install it since it doesn't provide anything of value.

10m/s seems reasonable until you are trying to fly it on a breezy day (not crazy windy, just say 15mph steady breeze) and make only 2m/s upwind progress. So you are a few hundred meters out and loose your craft because it ran out of batteries before able to make it back. Right now, I can hit 15m/s easily and fight a breeze if necessary without any issues what so ever.

The regular NAZA V2 doesn't have any issues with compass or stability and doesn't need tilt limit reduction.

We need options and good defaults, and not more restrictions.

macheung said:
The reduced tilt (air speed) issue is a serious one and deserves attention. A fix for the compass issue isn't really an acceptable fix if it introduce other serious issues. Ok, to be fair 3.04 already has the reduced speed but there is little reason to install it since it doesn't provide anything of value.

10m/s seems reasonable until you are trying to fly it on a breezy day (not crazy windy, just say 15mph steady breeze) and make only 2m/s upwind progress. So you are a few hundred meters out and loose your craft because it ran out of batteries before able to make it back. Right now, I can hit 15m/s easily and fight a breeze if necessary without any issues what so ever.

The regular NAZA V2 doesn't have any issues with compass or stability and doesn't need tilt limit reduction.

We need options and good defaults, and not more restrictions.

This is getting annoying... i'm tired of this. maybe it's time i jump ship and move to 3d robotics. Their software supposed to be very stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor