Best FW for P3P

• Thread starter Deleted member 27337
  • Start date
While it is certainly possible for new functionality to introduce anomalies into the production code base, those issues rarely survive the QA and testing processes of successful companies. Shoddy coding and vetting processes would be far to risky for just about any biz let alone one with the market share DJI now enjoys.
Sorry to be so blunt before, but this is EXACTLY why the latest DJI firmware isn't always the best. My background is computer hardware technology, but not at deep as yours. You would think common sense says bad firmware wouldn't "survive the QA and testing processes of successful companies". DJI has proved that assumption wrong. They consistently release firmware what contains newly introduced bugs, fixing one thing and breaking another. Vetted firmware is the best firmware to load when it comes to DJI, not the latest firmware. "Shoddy coding and vetting processes would be far to risky" is exactly what happens at DJI. Those of us that have been around the block a few times with DJI know this in spades.

Don't get me wrong, I love DJI and their products, but they've got a couple of big warts that they are still working to resolve. Service is one, (this has improved a lot in the last two years) and firmware releases is the other. Many of us consumers in this forum feel that we are the beta test team that help to resolved firmware issues.

DJI is awesome at innovation, far in the lead of anyone else. Generally I get giddy when new products are leaked online from DJI, I can't wait for the formal press release to see how DJI is going to surprise me with new toys. However, I will rarely buy something from DJI anymore right when it's first released, as tempting as it is. They need time to sort out the firmware. :p On that note, I'm just now getting comfortable to go buy a P4P, any day now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quest-So
They consistently release firmware what contains newly introduced bugs, fixing one thing and breaking another.

My personal experience: I have always kept with the latest FW version. When I do so, I make sure to be running the most recent companion FW and software versions (remote and DJI GO) so there are no mismatches in compatibility testing. And I've never, ever had a major problem. I certainly have not have any range problems on my P3Ps (P3S owners: please take a close look at the subject line before replying).

The quoted statement above (especially with the use of the the term 'consistently') seems to me to be an incredible and irresponsible overstatement.

Speck

Reactions: Avocet
Uhh ... perhaps I was too cryptic ... I'm sure 1.6 runs just fine. I've ran that same piece of software myself. I have NEVER had major issues with ANY production release from DJI. There were some minor issues that I mistakenly attributed to the software, but alas, it was user error, as is the case frequently.

I'm not sure of your background, John, but my background goes deep into computer science (programming) AND aviation. A lot of folks seem to think that every time DJI (or most other tech. endeavors) release a new software version or patch, that it is completely new, rebuilt from the ground up. This is simply untrue, not feasible and leads to many a misunderstanding. While it is certainly possible for new functionality to introduce anomalies into the production code base, those issues rarely survive the QA and testing processes of successful companies. Shoddy coding and vetting processes would be far to risky for just about any biz let alone one with the market share DJI now enjoys.

Fly safe brother ...

Well I don't want to argue with you as I take your point about DJI not wanting to put out firmware which would show their products in a bad light, but, DJI Go 3.1.2 (Android) had a MAJOR bug in it which reset the Home Point to a point far from home. Many fly-aways caused by that as I'm sure you will have read about in here.

Last edited:
1.8 and iOS.... never had a problem ... don't know if the best but I can said it's rock solid and bring my bird back every time.... never a glitch or freeze program on my iPhone 7 runs like it's running a simple flappy bird app...

Reactions: Quest-So
@tonyt76 ask youself why would @Digdat0 go towards v1.9.60 if he is happy with v1.8.80 ? Just because it's a newer version, that presumable is better than the previous one ? Just presumable, but reality has shown that the latest fw to date v1.10.90 isn't respecting at all @Avocet 's statement "the latest fw is always the best"... :)

I'll be civil. The dozens and dozens and dozens of folks who have trouble during their FW upgrades along with those same numbers who have what they deem as issues after the latest FW upgrades are a teeny squirt of pee-pee compared to the tens and tens of thousands of DJI Phantom x, Mavic, Inspire owners who:

1. DON"T have issues generally
2. DON'T read this forum (many lurk for sure)

Now you don't need to be a statistician nor a rocket scientist to support these claims (they are not my own either). It is very easy to see what DJI's sales volumes are (numero uno in the world BTW in the consumer drone market). The forum(s) participation here as well as other DJI boards are a clear minority representation.

Like in other fields, it is only when things go wrong to one degree or another that any mention of it rears its head. When all is reasonably well, the silence is very loud ... no reason to comment usually.

Aside from frequent misinformation here as well as other forums, there are also some really good sources (if you can accurately identify them) here as well.

So some folk's "reality" may be very different from yours (see Tony's quote above) and though I don't usually try to predict mine, when I have, being "presumable" has never seemed to work out for me! :)

Best fw the last one...Big Lol..

For me it was the 1.1.9 and 1.3.2. Solid rock fw! Miss them! No NFZ and Isheet stuff from DJI.....

Best fw the last one...Big Lol..

For me it was the 1.1.9 and 1.3.2. Solid rock fw! Miss them! No NFZ and Isheet stuff from DJI.....
Ditto. Never a problem on this version. Two years and flying problem free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka