Best for the money? *monitors*

Reaction score
Of all the iPads, which gives you the best bang for the buck when matched up with a P4P ?

I didn't include android choices because I'm trying to get away from them.

I'm nearing 13 hours of flight times..and My SAMSUNG Tab A6 is been doing super great ..running Android 5.1.1..im happy with it !

I'm nearing 13 hours of flight times..and My SAMSUNG Tab A6 is been doing super great ..running Android 5.1.1..im happy with it !
How many gigs does yours have and how many should I get? Is the screen large enough to view everything without having to look very hard? Can it be had with Data and wi-fi ?

Any issues with it not connecting? I have a Samsung S2 and it doesnt connect sometimes. After research, I have to change the USB mode to some sort of Ethernet option under developer options. It is annoying.

I think any of the iPads that have an A8 CPU or higher will work fine. I have the iPad Air4 with A8 and it's great, IMO. But it could be brighter. The iPad Mini4 has the A8 also. I'm always looking for a shade tree to fly from, and if none are around I have an umbrella hat that works good when there is no wind. The umbrella hat is very dorky looking, but I fly alone usually.. Newer iPad's with A9 and A10 work great too, from what others say, and they can have slightly brighter screens. The 9.7" size is the largest I would buy. That size fits OK in the RC clip OK without adapters, etc. But if you want to maximize size, the 10.5" iPad will work with an adapter. The value of each size will be your choice, depending on your eyes, your personal size preference, and your threshold of pain cost-wise. If you're on a budget, consider an Apple refurb unit. I recommend getting at least 64GB storage so you can use the iPad for other things, like watching movies when on travel. At hotels, if the wifi is good, I can remotely watch my TV recordings from my DVR at home through my iPad, using the luxury of Sling support in DishNetwork. It also allows movie download to my iPad that I can watch on airplane trips without an internet connection, that's where the added storage helps.

I will add, I'm an Android fan. My phone is android. I tried android tablets originally (2yrs ago) and had issues, and I tried 3 models of Samsung. Then, out of desperation, when I used my wife's iPad Mini3, it worked perfect. I went to the dark side. :D So for flying DJI drones I use only iPad, so far. I've been thinking about buying a CrystalSky Ultra lately, but it's a lot heavier with the special mount and all. I also don't know if it will be compatible with my 1.3.509 craft firmware and newest Go4 app. I'm not upgrading my craft firmware due to the freedoms I enjoy, so that my dilemma with CS.

Last edited:
Reactions: K4GAP
What about just getting it with the Pro + monitor? over buying a monitor?
That's a bad idea. You would be stuck with a 5.5"display with the OSD overlays covering a lot of the camera view. You also have no display upgrade options. If the display gets broke in the P4P+, you're grounded. Without the + you have lots of options to use most any tablet or phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: bad karma
I also fly with an IPad Pro 9.7, but I bit the bullet for the cellular version (Verizon data plan was only $10 in addition to what I already pay) so I could have GPS and maps in the field without having to cache.

Reactions: RW8888
I've used Samsung phones and tablets as well as the Ipad Mini 4 and now Crystalsky. The DJI software runs fine on all of them but if you need aftermarket then Apple is the way to go. The Mini 4 is nice, (I'm selling mine in the classifieds, wink wink...) and it's fairly bright but for outdoor bright sunlight like I encounter here in Western Colorado, the Crystalsky is hands down the best for my uses..

I think any of the iPads that have an A8 CPU or higher will work fine. I have the iPad Air4 with A8 and it's great, IMO. But it could be brighter. The iPad Mini4 has the A8 also. I'm always looking for a shade tree to fly from, and if none are around I have an umbrella hat that works good when there is no wind. The umbrella hat is very dorky looking, but I fly alone usually.. Newer iPad's with A9 and A10 work great too, from what others say, and they can have slightly brighter screens. The 9.7" size is the largest I would buy. That size fits OK in the RC clip OK without adapters, etc. But if you want to maximize size, the 10.5" iPad will work with an adapter. The value of each size will be your choice, depending on your eyes, your personal size preference, and your threshold of pain cost-wise. If you're on a budget, consider an Apple refurb unit. I recommend getting at least 64GB storage so you can use the iPad for other things, like watching movies when on travel. At hotels, if the wifi is good, I can remotely watch my TV recordings from my DVR at home through my iPad, using the luxury of Sling support in DishNetwork. It also allows movie download to my iPad that I can watch on airplane trips without an internet connection, that's where the added storage helps.

I will add, I'm an Android fan. My phone is android. I tried android tablets originally (2yrs ago) and had issues, and I tried 3 models of Samsung. Then, out of desperation, when I used my wife's iPad Mini3, it worked perfect. I went to the dark side. :D So for flying DJI drones I use only iPad, so far. I've been thinking about buying a CrystalSky Ultra lately, but it's a lot heavier with the special mount and all. I also don't know if it will be compatible with my 1.3.509 craft firmware and newest Go4 app. I'm not upgrading my craft firmware due to the freedoms I enjoy, so that my dilemma with CS.

I bought the CrystalSky Ultra and it is amazing. I hope in the future it will be Litchi capable.

Yes it’s expensive but your bird costs just as much....I have 3 birds and hopefully I’ll be able to use my Ultra on my Mavic Pro sometime in the future!!!

Of all the iPads, which gives you the best bang for the buck when matched up with a P4P ?

I didn't include android choices because I'm trying to get away from them.

I just bought the goggles and they’re great so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3