Best crack repair without shell exchange?

Reaction score
I have found this whilst checking battery levels during long term storage. Suspect crack propagated from motor screw.

Guess I'll just fill the crack with some 2 components glue and no hole to drill to stop propagation ?

Thanks for advice.
12bf21c24abe9f55a693b7e565c027a6.jpg

You might consider contacting DJI as a warranty issue.

Otherwise, you might remove the motor and repair the crack with something like plast-aid.

Good luck.

Reactions: RémyHeli
I just googled it and there were dozens of hits John, but you can also get it at Walmart, Home Depot etc....

I generally use ´UHU plus endfest 300´ 2-component epoxy resin for heavy-duty requirements. Up to 3000N/cm2 dependent on temperature. Doing well with age, humidity and shock-resistant.

Reactions: John Ericks
I have a jb weld for plastic and I just tested it on a model car and it broke again. I’m going to try to repair it again and if it doesn’t work I’ll get this stuff. I thank y’all for the info and I hope y’all have a great holiday season [emoji847]

Make sure to sandpaper a little before applying, for best grip

Very good advice. I don’t think I really did that. I have apoxyed the model again and I’m not sure its going to work. Next “fix”, if it comes to that, I’ll take a good sanding to it like I should have done 2 begin with! I know better. Hope that’s all I’ll have to do [emoji847]. Thanks for the info.

I like to use Plastruct Plastic Weld. for plastic crack repairs.
It's a "re-bonder" in that it is a thin plastic solvent that will wick into cracks and reflow the plastic "welding" them together.
It doesn't work on all plastic types but it appears it should work on the Phantom shells - note I haven't used it on my Phantom as mine is new. But it will likely work and is a handy thing to have around.

I like to use Plastruct Plastic Weld. for plastic crack repairs.
It's a "re-bonder" in that it is a thin plastic solvent that will wick into cracks and reflow the plastic "welding" them together.
It doesn't work on all plastic types but it appears it should work on the Phantom shells - note I haven't used it on my Phantom as mine is new. But it will likely work and is a handy thing to have around.
+1... Plastruct is wonderful stuff, if you have compatible materials.

Inside the shell there may be a marking or impression in the molding that indicates what kind of plastic is used. Interestingly I have found plenty of questions on the Interwebz about the type of plastic but no answers!

Talking to a guy who works in an auto/motorcycle body repair shop can be a real eye-opener with regards to different types of plastics and the optimal materials needed to fix them.

I remember being in the Military working in the Airframes Department. Whenever we found a crack in a panel, we drilled a small hole at the end of the crack.
It took away any stress the crack had, and it was ready to fly.
If it was too bad of a crack, you would have to fill it with some sort of plastic filler.
The ones I've heard of through this sight are:
Plastic Weld
Gorilla Glue
Plasti-Fix by Polyvance
Plast-Aid
Zap A Gap CA # PAAPTO 2 and Zip Kicker Excelerent # PAAPT 15 both used in Prop balancing from www.hotizonhobby.com

Last edited:
Then there's always the superglue and baking soda fix.

Last edited:
I have the exact crack in the same location. Happened when I had it on the couch and my kids decided to knock it on the floor. I’m not really worried about, ....maybe I’ll give that plasti stuff a shot.

Then there's always the superglue and baking powder fix.
Cyanoacrylates can be awesome. I'm sure at least some of us remember the commercials displaying the amazing tensile strength of the original Krazy Glue. But the shear strength of CA adhesives leaves much to be desired.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT