Being Lawful is a joke!

You can't even trust stay outside of 5 miles from an airport (guideline really, though you are supposed to notify airports. Problem is, how?) and under 400 feet yet you could still have a run-in with a helicopter flying below 400 near a suburban shopping plaza.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So the more I look into flying my phantom Lawfully and being a good boy and abiding by all the rules the more I can see and understand why people just fly anywhere they want without seeking permission etc.

In the U.K its literally you cant fly anywhere unless its you own back garden but don't fly higher than your house kinda thing. Its a joke!

There's a local abbey ( beaulieu abbey ) near me and I emailed to see if I could fly / film there, I thought I would ask before just going ahead with it any way, Now the NATS App says I can fly there but the reply I received was unfortunately not because of the new forests is heavily restricted for drone flying ...

Man it just winds me up.. I feel like anywhere I go with the drone im gonna be worrying about getting in trouble etc .. feels like we cant fly anywhere!

Here's a tale that will make your hair curl. Talk about trying to fly legally. Having flown in my rather large garden after buying my Pro 3, I sought permission from a local farmer to really put the machine through its paces. Sheer heaven for a learner, a massive field to play in, remote so no one about to interrupt, and permission to lets thing romp.

Had flown around the field several times then decided I would have a look 'up there', nothing too adventurous, just a few hundred feet and well within visual range.

Only up for about half a minute, me enjoying views of the countryside, when two military helicopters came from the next field, hedge-hopping, literally feet from the ground. What the hell was I to do?

I hoped they weren't going to make a tactical ascent of some kind and quickly thought, no point in pulling my bird down as I possibly might hit these huge choppers so decided to leave my craft aloft. They actually flew under me presumably oblivious as to what was happening in the vicinity.

The irony, for me at least, I had permission to fly there albeit from the landowner, what permission did they have to be flying so low?

My one regret, I didn't have the wit to switch the camera on as everything was happening so quickly.

I'm reasonably confident I broke no laws tut what a heck of a turn up that afternoon!

So the more I look into flying my phantom Lawfully and being a good boy and abiding by all the rules the more I can see and understand why people just fly anywhere they want without seeking permission etc.

Exactly so. Reminds me of a libertarian acquaintance who vehemently opposes stop signs, traffic signals, school-zone and other speed limits, etc. "Personal responsibility! If I kill a bunch of kids at a school crossing I'll take responsibility, so the government has no business telling me how to drive."

Exactly so. Reminds me of a libertarian acquaintance who vehemently opposes stop signs, traffic signals, school-zone and other speed limits, etc. "Personal responsibility! If I kill a bunch of kids at a school crossing I'll take responsibility, so the government has no business telling me how to drive."

ha ha I love this :), I kind of agree with you, except there lots of bad people in the world who do un-lawful things that 100% would not take responsibility, however id like to think in 99% of cases nobody gets hurt from flying a drone in a place one is not allowed too :)

Sorry you guys are seeing these issues. I do feel a little better about flying in the U.S. now. Its been a real challenge doing it all legal. It takes me hours of research sometimes to know if I can fly legally. I read city laws, park laws, county laws, send emails to people, etc. This part is not fun but finding places to fly is kinda fun.

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hours of research to find a place to fly isn't fun. I've become so irritated about trying to fly legally that now I'm disheartened and the phantom sits. I'm too scared to post pictures or video for fear of some government agency that spends more money on tracking offenders down than the actual fine is will come knocking on my door. I'm not buzzing animals or people or flying into the Space Needle or putting stickers on skyrises. I'm simply trying to get a different perspective on the world.

Sent from my SM-G930P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dazzauk

In the U.K its literally you cant fly anywhere unless its you own back garden but don't fly higher than your house kinda thing. Its a joke!

There's a local abbey ( beaulieu abbey ) near me and I emailed to see if I could fly / film there, I thought I would ask before just going ahead with it any way, Now the NATS App says I can fly there but the reply I received was unfortunately not because of the new forests is heavily restricted for drone flying ...

Man it just winds me up.. I feel like anywhere I go with the drone im gonna be worrying about getting in trouble etc .. feels like we cant fly anywhere!
All to often we as drone operators are painted with the same brush.my city has banned all drone flight from or too it's properties. This until they better understand drones. Unfortunately the committee studying drones has nobody on it who has a drone or flies one.
As a community,we as drone pilots need to come together in our respective areas and come up with our own system of governance to put forward before we are restricted into oblivion.

I personally just fly ... If people don't like it then there is not much I can do. I don't mean that in a selfish way, I mean it in the state that I own something and I have a right to fly it. I won't fly near people but I do fly over city centres.
Neon Euc

Are these the reasons the drone laws were written to ban the actions of arrogant and irresponsible drone owners.

In USA, you own something doesn't mean you can do whatever you feel to do.

For example, you own your clothes you are wearing, can you take them all off outside a crowd city center.

Hours of research to find a place to fly isn't fun. I've become so irritated about trying to fly legally that now I'm disheartened and the phantom sits. I'm too scared to post pictures or video for fear of some government agency that spends more money on tracking offenders down than the actual fine is will come knocking on my door. I'm not buzzing animals or people or flying into the Space Needle or putting stickers on skyrises. I'm simply trying to get a different perspective on the world.

Sent from my SM-G930P using PhantomPilots mobile app
Have you checked into flying clubs in your area. If you can't join a club, check out the meetup website or FB phantom owners sites, unless you are living inside the NFZ, there must some area you can enjoy your drone.

It sounds as though you need some organisation in the US to represent the drone UAV community and deal with the FAA and/or individual stTes. In the U.K. we have the British Model Flying Association which is dealing with the CAA and the European organisation which is trying to impose Europe wide laws. Without a strong voice to stand up to ignorant law makers hobbyist flyers will finish up being confined to some local field on restricted times etc.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A guy I follow on YouTube made this exact point. He drove an hour out of the city and made a somewhat sarcastic video of a boring flight over an empty field to make his point. He's in Canada, but the same logic pretty much applies everywhere.

GEEZZ!!! the regulations almost sound like they are saying... "just don't fly".
The regulations I think, are generated from public parinoia since they don't seem to make a lot of sense.
I agree.... the rules are made by people that don't have a clue!

I fly from secret locations in London. My brother has a flat in central London and has access to the roof. I can take off and land there at night. Provided I do not post the videos I'm OK.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Neon Euc
I fly from secret locations in London. My brother has a flat in central London and has access to the roof. I can take off and land there at night. Provided I do not post the videos I'm OK.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Awww sweet. I live by lewisham. Any chance we could hook up for a flight. I usually fly at bromley common as it's no issues at all

Neon Euc

Reactions: Les Davidson
Not registered, occasional permission letters but free to fly.
I'm in a pro-drone town of up to 15,000 folks. They ask when am I going to fly next and can I fly over their places & send them the shots if they are outside. Local school has me film some events then runs them on flat screens all over the school.
When approached I let everyone have a turn flying. Most want to see their house from the air. Some even want to look in their windows and are disappointed when they see it is not a spy cam like they thought. Then there are the "do I need to fix the roof" checks.
Local federal police say fly as I like just don't crash into anyone.
That's all the "registration" I'll ever need.

Not registered, occasional permission letters but free to fly.
I'm in a pro-drone town of up to 15,000 folks. They ask when am I going to fly next and can I fly over their places & send them the shots if they are outside. Local school has me film some events then runs them on flat screens all over the school.
When approached I let everyone have a turn flying. Most want to see their house from the air. Some even want to look in their windows and are disappointed when they see it is not a spy cam like they thought. Then there are the "do I need to fix the roof" checks.
Local federal police say fly as I like just don't crash into anyone.
That's all the "registration" I'll ever need.
Until someone complains or rats you out. Posts like this would give the FAA ammunition to slap you with several fines, no registration, 'unlicensed' Part 107 flying ( filming school events of them to use could be construed as commercial). After posting like this, can't claim ignorance.

Here's a tale that will make your hair curl. Talk about trying to fly legally. Having flown in my rather large garden after buying my Pro 3, I sought permission from a local farmer to really put the machine through its paces. Sheer heaven for a learner, a massive field to play in, remote so no one about to interrupt, and permission to lets thing romp.

Had flown around the field several times then decided I would have a look 'up there', nothing too adventurous, just a few hundred feet and well within visual range.

Only up for about half a minute, me enjoying views of the countryside, when two military helicopters came from the next field, hedge-hopping, literally feet from the ground. What the hell was I to do?

I hoped they weren't going to make a tactical ascent of some kind and quickly thought, no point in pulling my bird down as I possibly might hit these huge choppers so decided to leave my craft aloft. They actually flew under me presumably oblivious as to what was happening in the vicinity.

The irony, for me at least, I had permission to fly there albeit from the landowner, what permission did they have to be flying so low?

My one regret, I didn't have the wit to switch the camera on as everything was happening so quickly.

I'm reasonably confident I broke no laws tut what a heck of a turn up that afternoon!
Kenton, if you are in the U.K. then military copters can go to surface level just about anywhere that isn't already covered by normal air traffic control zones. Military jets can go down to 250ft (100 ft in tactical training areas). This is why I'm horrified when I read about UK pilots carrying obvious flights outside VLOS. It's clear that you weren't doing this and it looks like you did exactly the right thing in the circumstances. Be interesting to know where you were flying as thus could give anybody pause for thought if there is no obvious military airfield nearby. I did my training in Oxfordshire near RAF Benson and my tests were carried out a couple of hundred metres from the end of the runway. The school there have an agreement that no flights will go above 100ft. While we were on our course, one evening a Chinook came and landed in the local park. I know it looks like a nanny state but given the crowded airspace on a small island the Dronecode does make sense.

I thought a drone for christmas would be cool. I live in Va on the Chesapeake Bay and a house on Hatteras Island (OBX). My wife was tickled she had something to get me. I watched video's learned how to fly only to find out here in the Hampton,NN,York county between all the airports, Bases, Park Service, heliport it looks like there is absolutely nothing here without a long drive. Then i find out flight on Hatteras Island is not allowed because the island is run by the Park Service even though i own property. Ive been very tempted to sell my p4 wish I'd know all this before we forked out a grand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

It can be a challenge to fly legal for sure, and only bound to get worse. Problem is, I'm not even sure where or how it can settle into some degree of compromise.

Some of these topics come up with my wife and we had this one the other day...

When you factor in the no fly zones, restricted air space, along with the DJI safety recommendations of avoiding populated areas, night flying, over water flights, people, buildings, private property, and the disgruntled public, there are going to be lots of videos of farm fields.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Drones will be banned at some stage, only a matter of time. Get out and fly sensibly whilst you still can, your drone is more likely to be grounded by legislation than flight issues or a crash.
You only have to see how every plastic bag floating around an airport is loudly reported as a 'drone' on the news to see where this is going.

Reactions: pomonabill220

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT