BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

gunslinger said:
My initial battery just joined this club. At around 47% charge remaining, it has begun to autoland with no warning at all from the app. The Phantom Vision Assistant software tells me that the battery has 88% life remaining, which is obviously horseshit. They say they're not responsible for replacement since the battery is over eight months old. :evil:

This is a defective product I'm attempting to get replaced. This is not a warranty claim... This thread proves that it's obviously a design problem... :roll:

-slinger

when did you buy the Phantom? Where did you purchase it? I am just curious.

Does anyone have a P2 battery that they have gotten over 100 cycles on? My best battery so far has only gotten 43 cycles before it died.

Jim K.

Running 3.06. Well I had one auto-descend today at 19% rather than the expected 15%. It took me by surprise as I hadn't discovered this thread (duh). I know there are 25 pages in this thread so early auto-descend is old news.

I suppose it could have been much worse as it happened when it was only 10 ft away from me.

My understanding is it will only get worse.

Great. I have joined the f---ed battery club.

bells0 said:
Have you always flown it to 15% with 3.06?

Don't think yours has a problem unless it gets worse.

I have flown to less than 19% for sure. I think the lowest I have gone is 16% before landing/catching. It never auto-descended on me before. Cause I never let it get to 15%. I havent tested with all my batteries tho. This happened today for the first time on one of my three batts.

I think it boils down to what "15% auto land" means. 15% of what?

I plan on testing some more tonight, with my other batts.

Buckaye said:
gunslinger said:
My initial battery just joined this club. At around 47% charge remaining, it has begun to autoland with no warning at all from the app. The Phantom Vision Assistant software tells me that the battery has 88% life remaining, which is obviously horseshit. They say they're not responsible for replacement since the battery is over eight months old. :evil:

This is a defective product I'm attempting to get replaced. This is not a warranty claim... This thread proves that it's obviously a design problem... :roll:

-slinger

when did you buy the Phantom? Where did you purchase it? I am just curious.

I bought it in early November of 2013, from Willoghby's Camera in NYC...

-slinger

It looks at voltage in addition to what the percent says. Which ever comes first will trip auto descend. Voltage is something like 10.65 to trip. Remember voltage sag can happen and recover quickly on aggressive flights especially full ascent. IOSD might show 10.8 but sag could have hit 10.65.

Could be sign of bad battery. Also do a full discharge down to below 8. And full recharge after it cools down. (Recommended every 20 flights)

Damon said:
It looks at voltage in addition to what the percent says. Which ever comes first will trip auto descend. Voltage is something like 10.65 to trip. Remember voltage sag can happen and recover quickly on aggressive flights especially full ascent. IOSD might show 10.8 but sag could have hit 10.65.

Could be sign of bad battery. Also do a full discharge down to below 8. And full recharge after it cools down. (Recommended every 20 flights)

I wish I had iOSD to see the voltage. The vision app doesnt show voltage of course. I suspect mine must have hit the voltage trigger because it was at 19% on the vision app when it started to descend.

Here's my battery right after it autolanded... What's wrong with this picture???

oldbattery.jpg

-slinger

Well I just got an RMA from All e RC (for the battery)to send it back to them and they will give me a replacement "if it indeed tests bad". This is for the battery that came with my plus from them that is showing low battery at about 40% then autolanding soon thereafter. I discharged it and recharged at around 20 cycles then it started doing this at 26 cycles. I tried discharge and recharge today but it still did it just now again. Best I can hope for I guess. I sure wish I had bought local right about now. I am afraid it is just a matter of time before my other ones go bad too. My confidence level is near zero with these batteries unfortunately.

Heads up on my battery that suddenly started autolanding at 40%

Heliguy, in the UK, replaced it, no questions asked!! Brilliant service. Glad i bought the Phantom from them now.

I flew today and battery icon for P2V+ went to red at 46%. This was a controlled test flight as I am trying to understand what is happening (and too scared to do any long distance flights because of this issue).

I have the iphone DJI app and about 10 seconds after battery icon going red the iphone went into red flash mode and then is when the P2V+ went into auto descend. After I landed literally 30 seconds later the battery was reading 12% I looked on the battery and had 1 green bar so 12 % appears more accurate than the initially displayed 46%.

I have the new type crowned battery pins and regularly clean the contact points.

The battery I was using has bloating and I guess it is now time to bin it after 15 cycles. This is ridiculous life on these batteries and I tried to get one of the NukeRC copy batteries but they are out of stock. I have 3 batteries and 2 show signs of bloating. I have looked after them as per the guidelines but it doesn't seem that has helped. I was flying today with another of couple of guys and one who also had a P2V said that it you have too much drawdown on the batteries (fly them down to 5% as an example) that would cause bloating. i don't do this but can anyone confirm that this in fact will cause bloating.

I have left my batteries fully charged after each flight and I now hear that that may cause bloating?

Expensive hobby when you have to buy new batteries every 15 flights...

benski,

I am not sure of the percent reading on the batterys. That is to say is 5% mean its 5% left to the min allowable voltage before the battery will be damaged? With LIPO batteries, YES, if you discharge them too far down you will ruin them and they will normally bloat.

Tom

Thanks Tom

Good to know. I typically shut down as soon as alarm used to come on with was around 20%.

After reading 100's of post about these bad DJI batteries and the many theory's of why they go bad my theory is they are cheap bad batteries from the start. Many people including myself have bloating batteries before the scheduled discharge to 8%. Some of my batteries are the old style (round contacts) and the new style (square contacts). Both have had bloating after several uses. One of my newest batteries has none so far.

I have used Lipo batteries in many other devices and have had very few problems. Even some of the cheap lipo batteries I bought off Ebay and cycled many times have not had bloating problems. Like many pilots have said once you have a auto-land due to failed battery your confidence in the Phantom is lost. When you lose that confidence you lose some of the fun factor.

Paying over $129 dollars for a battery pack is fine, but they **** well better be good and reliable for use in a expensive Phantom. Giving only a 3 month warranty tells me DJI is well aware of there battery quality. DJI advertises life of 300 cycles. Wow! Why should we believe anything they advertise.

One thing I noticed is that if you take off with a battery that is NOT fully charged you get an early autoland every time. I wonder if the software does a calculation based on the charge it thinks is at 100% but is being fooled by the lower actual data value and using that as its "100%". This would be a bug in the under-load part of their software that assumes 100% at startup. In other words that battery is expected to be 100% but the actual under-load charge is far less than indicated or expected. One way the autoland trigger could be initiated early is if the battery management software works as follows:

If the battery cell voltages are sampled at a finite rate under load say perhaps once every ten seconds or so then perhaps the software builds a dynamic discharging curve as it flies. If it does, then I can easily see how this could cause the Phantom2 to autoland early if it starts with an erroneous "100%" value.
The reason this might happen is if that decision to autoland is actually a dual decision based on periodic battery sampling and any such calculated discharge curve it builds dynamically during flight. If this is true then it will land early if it weights such a dynamically calculated discharge curve highly.
If I was creating battery management software I would build such a curve dynamically and weight it heavily because a fully charged battery would not provide anything but a 100% apparent status. But of course, its the discharge rate under load I would care about so creating a dynamic curve each flight would help gauge battery life per flight and allow a predictive autoland trigger. Depending on what components you are flying, such as cameras, OSDs, or more the predictive discharge curve becomes all the more important over the life of the battery.
Additionally I would give each battery a unique identifier that is user settable and store that data within each 'smart' battery in nonvolatile memory so that I could consult that data as needed. This would allow a 'black box' battery lifetime data capability that you can use to examine each specific battery and project remaining life. This would be VERY important if you are carrying a lot of high end equipment. For our drone work we are going to implement an energy management procedure that is similar but we are planning on carrying VERY high end equipment so it is essential to spend a couple weeks working out a battery management system that removes ANYONE on our team from the disaster equation. Putting in an older battery and expecting it to last as long as a newer battery on a critical task is something HUMANS do. The system should not allow you to do that. :) . Having performance discharge curves available offline as a downloadable from the GUI at the computer is absolutely critical now. I foresee being able to put in a battery and seeing a projected flight time show up before you take off. This is NOT hard to do. It just has to be done...

This all relates to the autoland issue I am SURE. I do think it is a likely bug in their rudimentary under-load management software.

I just bought my Phantom 2 Vision+ with an extra battery.

One of my batteries already has this issue after just 2-3 cycles; when at about 50% sound alerts and all leds flashing red, auto decline kicks in. The other battery however is still working as expected.

I will be returning the bad battery, but I have totally lost confidence in my phantom and will not be flying high or over water etc until this is resolved.

So, reading this thread almost makes me believe that all batteries are defect or that the latest firmware is broken. Is this the case, or do you have batteries at +50 cycles not affected by this on the latest firmware? Any success stories at all?

Also, to help the investigation, the serial numbers of my batteries:
Working properly, 4 cycles: DJ070014071129225
Broken, 3 cycles: DJ070014081337587

towe said:
I just bought my Phantom 2 Vision+ with an extra battery.

One of my batteries already has this issue after just 2-3 cycles; when at about 50% sound alerts and all leds flashing red, auto decline kicks in. The other battery however is still working as expected.

That is disappointing but does sound more like a manufacturing defect rather than disturbingly short lived one.
Maybe it got a bang in transit.
Do you know if that was the 'additional' one - and was it packed in the card box with foam lining a new battery comes with?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z