BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

In the latest firmware update v3.08 there is also a battery v2.06 update that you should preform on all your batteries. Do not update after market batteries as they will no longer work in your P2 or P2V+ . This battery update will extend the flight of batteries autolanding at 40 percent. I have tried it on two batteries that were autolanding at 40% and had been recharge less then 30 times. This update will start to discharge batteries that haven't been used in 48 hours discharge over several days until they reach 50% for long storage. Also topping the batteries off to 100% will not add to the number of recharged count.

Can someone with Limefuel batteries confirm that they upgraded their Phantom to 3.08, their DJI batteries to 2.06 (or whatever the new battery firmware version is) and did NOT modify their Limefuel batteries, and all DJI and Limefuel batteries still work?

Thanks.
Kelly

Kelly I seem to remember that limefuel posted in another thread not to update their batteries with 2.06 battery firmware until they had a fix for the DJI battery update.

Seems i`ve been thinking about this all wrong. ( my unexplained crash that is..) Apparently, after being educated by the seller, the DJI Phantom 2 is for "...the hobbiest" and crashes are to be expected. Hmmm. My idea of a hobbiest is someone with a cardboard box full of junk making something for a few quid not over a grands worth of kit that is practically guaranteed to shag the gimble on impact.
C`mon DJI, no more V2`S or new models without reasearching and developing a decent lipo we can all have confidence in, ffs Bosch, Hitachi, DeWalt have been using them for years. :(

jason said:
Kelly I seem to remember that limefuel posted in another thread not to update their batteries with 2.06 battery firmware until they had a fix for the DJI battery update.

Yes, agree with that. My question is if you upgrade your Phantom and only upgrade your DJI batteries, will Lime fuel batteries still work with v3.08-based Phantom?

wkf94025 Wrote:
Yes, agree with that. My question is if you upgrade your Phantom and only upgrade your DJI batteries, will Lime fuel batteries still work with v3.08-based Phantom?

Kelly,
First off my original reply was in regards early autoland which had nothing to do with after market batteries. Since v3.08 came out in October everyone with Nuke RC and Limefuel have asked the same question as to whether they will work with the new firmware. Personally I do not own any after market batteries but I see no reason they wouldn't work as long as you do not use the new battery update v2.06 firmware. The v2.06 firmware for DJI batteries is not mandatory but was implemented fix problems in the smart batteries circuity which it has.

varmint said:
Does anyone happen to known (roughly) what voltages DJI maps to their percentages displayed in the Assistant? Is it linear between max and min?

The high (100%) is 12.6v?
50% is 11.4?
25% is ?
15% is ?
0% (min safe discharge level) is 9v?

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 609
I'm having this same problem. I originally attributed it to the cold weather in MN (affecting the batteries maybe). I did an indoor flight at an event (large room), and it still had the problem. So, I'm pretty confident its not the cold...

Has there been any progress on determining what the problem is? I have 2 batteries that I got with the Phantom, both are having problems. I'm reluctant to buy new batteries if they are going to suffer the same fate.

When I get home tonight, I will pull the data I can from the batteries.

Hikyuuri said:
I'm having this same problem. I originally attributed it to the cold weather in MN (affecting the batteries maybe). I did an indoor flight at an event (large room), and it still had the problem. So, I'm pretty confident its not the cold...

Has there been any progress on determining what the problem is? I have 2 batteries that I got with the Phantom, both are having problems. I'm reluctant to buy new batteries if they are going to suffer the same fate.

When I get home tonight, I will pull the data I can from the batteries.

How old are those batteries? Also, have you upload the latest firmware v3.08?? There's also battery firmware included in that update which will take care of the problem of early autoland.

I'll add myself to the list of P2 (non vision) problem battery owners.

I don't have specific details to report in terms of stats & figures yet, other than I've only flown my phantom a handful of times after buying it used. It had 10 flights on the battery when I bought it, and all apparently in good form, but after just 1 or 2 decent duration flights, it begins to go into angry red battery mode within a minute or two of flying on a full charge now.

I flew it today and noted that it was allowing me full control still, but on releasing the sticks was slowly descending rather than holding its altitude.
I'll be doing some reading up on this thread and googling etc to see what (if anything) I can do about this absurd problem. I simply can't afford to just spend £100 on another battery and hope that one is better...

I just wanted to update my situation. For me, the battery would trigger auto-land at 57% battery left.

From the day I Fedexed it out to DJI to the moment I received it, it was about 2.5 months. But at least I got a replacement.

Yep. Noticed it right after the battery "firmware" update. Never had a RTH before but now it happens in almost every flight. I still get about 18 minutes of flight fully loaded but still very frustrating :?

I've done a little checking on mine now after yesterday getting about a minute or two on a full battery before it all went red and began to slowly let itself lose altitude.
I still had full control of the bird but with the flashing red instead of green, and the main difference being with throttle stick released (central) it would slowly descend instead of hover.
So I presume that's the first stage of low battery sequence kicking in.

Now I haven't touched the battery since yesterday but just hooked up to the software, where it tells me it has 65% charge, one cell is slightly lower than the other 2 (4009mv, 3758mv, 4007mv), it's had 13 discharges in its life, and has 96% of its life remaining.
So how is it that it can apparently tell my macbook software that it's fit as a fiddle, but when in flight it's a different story entirely? Surely it's still the same source data coming from the 'smart' battery brain that goes to either the bird itself (which then decides it's in battery trouble) as is being sent to the laptop, which tells me it's perfect? I'm a bit confused by it to be honest.

Also, I was of the understanding that you can set your own levels for the low battery/critical battery settings? I'm obviously being stupid but can't see where.
Mine is showing on the main 'View' screen that low = 20% and critical = 15%. Doesn't seem to be a way to change these, but either way, since it currently says 65% charge, it can't have got anywhere near the low or critical levels when flying it yesterday.
On the battery page it shows a checkbox for 'go home' at Low battery level, but says nothing next to critical level?

I think I've got a lot of reading ahead of me, but if anyone has any useful tips about any of the above I'm all ears.

Everything is on the latest firmware btw.

Kelly,
First off my original reply was in regards early autoland which had nothing to do with after market batteries. Since v3.08 came out in October everyone with Nuke RC and Limefuel have asked the same question as to whether they will work with the new firmware. Personally I do not own any after market batteries but I see no reason they wouldn't work as long as you do not use the new battery update v2.06 firmware. The v2.06 firmware for DJI batteries is not mandatory but was implemented fix problems in the smart batteries circuity which it has.

I have 1 nuckrc battery and it still works even after the new firmware up date.

Tho for some reason I can not get the battery firmware to up date no matter what battery I have in even with my 2 new dji battery's with the square data pin pads and it keeps saying i am all up to date with ver 2 point some thing on the battery firmware.

I have owned my Phantom 2 since January 2014, but only flew about less than 30 times throughout the year. I am now getting early auto land issues at various capacities on 3 different batteries. When I first got the Phantom 2 I had no problems and had supreme confidence in it. I even had a 2 separate 17 minute flights over the Delaware River in July and carried a go pro 3+ with H32D, 2.4 datalink air end with no problem. I have also flew this with these components with the addition of a IRC 600mw VTX, mini iOSD, FPV Hub and LED strip lighting with about 14 minute flights.

Now I get the early auto land no matter what. I can no longer trust the Phantom 2 with these batteries. When I hover and increase altitude with the throttle, I see the green LEDs turn a quick flashing red which indicates low voltage. but when I let go, it goes back to green. What the heck? If I keep throttling long enough it will trigger auto land Even on a battery at over 75%. Yesterday I had on descend 15 second after i took off.

There is definitely a problem now. I have only 10 discharges on my batteries each and all have 97% life. I will try to do a discharge below 8% and then charge from there to see what happens but according to others on this thread, that didn't do anything.

So...what is the verdict?

Your symptoms sound the same as mine Pootoo - do you have a noticeable difference in the cell voltage when connected to the assistant software, ie indicating one cell is bad compared with the other ones in each pack?

My belief is that the built in charger control in these expensive battery packs is inadequate quality. When you think about what DJI have done, they have effectively replaced a full size clever and controllable Lipo charger unit with a tiny circuit built into the battery pack that is meant to replace all of this. I don't know their history and maybe they had someone else design it specially for them, but I can't ever imagine that a tiny built in circuit like this will maintain/monitor/care for the lipo cells as effectively as for instance a decent quality turnigy charger, so I think this is why problems occur. They've taken control away from the user to make it 'simpler' (more expensive) and I think it's not up to standard how it's been done, hence so many packs failing after very little use.

Just mp 2P though.

Well the big problem with the "smart" battery's on board circuit is that they have a cell protection circuit in them. Which is a BIG TIME no no to do on any battery thats meant to go in to any thing that flys. its fine to have in a battery that runs some thing like a flash light were if the charge protection circuit cuts off the cell its not going to cause some thing to do a swan dive.

But there not so smart charge circuitry will cut off power going to or from any cell that ever fails below or ever goes over a certain cut off point. Some times if a battery is cut off if its just a tiny bit to high and triggers the cut off. It can repair its self if the battery self discharges over time and falls below the cut off voltage and then the circuit will again start letting power in or out of the cut off cell. BUT if it fails below the low cut off point there is not a thing you can do to get enough power back in to get the blocked cell changed. With out havering to open up the battery and charge the blocked cell up enough to get the protection circuit to unblock and then allow power to go to the cell again when charging.

BUT the people havering problems with all there battery's or getting non dji battery warnings. That's caused by some thing completely different and will even start happening to people that have the newer battery's with the square data pads . eventually. Its not the shape of the pad that is the problem and thus dji changing the pad will not change the cause of the problem. What is happening to them is over time they get an oxide layer on them and being the data pins are very low voltage and also very very very low amperage it dont take much dirt or oxide to causes them to stop making good contact and conducting to the data pins esp if some one still has the older round ended pins. and even they dont always ensure that you will always have a good electrical connection on the pads if the points dont scratch threw the oxide layer and make a good conductive path for the data pins. The pins and the pads need to be keep clean esp the pins if its happening on all of some ones battery's The pins also are just brass and dont even have a gold plating on them like the battery's pads do. So they will tend to get oxide on the pins more so then the battery's pads can. There is a very good product made for not only cleaning low volt and low amp contacts that also puts a protective conductive coating on them as well. Its called deox-it contact cleaner and restorer. Its great stuff and should be applied to the data pads on all the batterys and the pins every few battery's you run threw and also before ever planing on not using the battery's for a long time and also a good idea to use it if you are going to fly and have not done so in a long time. Its also great stuff to use on any low power plugs to make sure they have and keep having good contact and stay conductive. Sence I have been using it I have not had any more lost contact with the data pins or getting any false non dji battery warnings. I also some times do contract network installs and repairs and we have also started using deox-it on just about any low voltage plug to make sure we have no contact problems or data flow problems from dirty or old network plugs. ITS GREAT stuff I would put it in my coffee in the morning if a tiny 2ml bottle was not $9 :)
BTW even a tiny 2ml sweeze tube GOES A LONG LONG LONG way. and a bigger bottle thats about the size of a bottle of nail polish and up wards of about 18-25 bucks would last a life time.

Re: Are you getting early Battery Warning on 3.04 Firmware??

Redman said:
Yes I am. 5 min flying time before it auto lands. Do you have an Idea of what going on with it?

What is your actual battery level indicating when it auto-lands?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka