Battery Heat Cool Down Needed?

Reaction score
So obviously after flying the battery generates a tremendous amount of heat and is quite warm after removing from the drone. I am in Florida, so many times the ambient air is already in the 90+ range when flying so this doesn't help matters. After flight, is it better to allow the battery 5-10 minutes to cool some before hooking it back up to the charger, or does it really matter? With the batteries being a $149 I am just looking for any way to help preserve battery lifetime expentancy as much as possible.

You should let the batteries cool down before attempting to charge them. If they are too warm, the battery won't charge. The 4th LED on the battery will blink 3 times per second when it's connected to the charger and it's too warm to charge it.

Reactions: dodoftwogirls
The secret is to have more than one battery !!

Being in Florida - do you not have a Beer Cooler ? Seriously though - ambient temperature should be fine for charging. Leaving for a few minutes to settle to ambient is well worth it. Put it this way - if YOU as a human body are comfortable in it - then battery should be ok.

Nigel

Since my case is foam lined with cutouts for the batteries, I also just sit the battery in the back of my SUV for a while to cool down. Just to be safe, figure the foam might hold the heat in and slow cool down.

IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0300.JPG I tend to bring mine inside and lay them on the ac vent with the ac running. I live in central Texas and we are already hitting mid to upper 90s with heat indexes of 106+ so I'm only flying in the late evening 30/45 minutes before sunset right now. And that's my nightly run looking for deer and taking sunset pictures for the wife my price for my P3S lol here's a sunset for y'all.

View attachment 84298 View attachment 84299 I tend to bring mine inside and lay them on the ac vent with the ac running. I live in central Texas and we are already hitting mid to upper 90s with heat indexes of 106+ so I'm only flying in the late evening 30/45 minutes before sunset right now. And that's my nightly run looking for deer and taking sunset pictures for the wife my price for my P3S lol here's a sunset for y'all.

Side note, that looks like a very tilted horizon... maybe do a gimbal calibration with the AC perfectly flat, then correct any camera tilt from DJI GO (gimbal settings).

Yes I noticed that after taking off but didn't really have time to land it and still get my pictures some of it is the land slight rolling hills

Lipo's like a bit of heat for best performance (charging and discharging), the trade off being service life. LiION chemistry charged and discharged at 45 deg C will deliver about half the cycles than if operated at 20 deg C.... you won't see 20 deg C at the end of a run in a phantom unless you are in a particularity cold climate. I don't stick a pack on the charger if it feels noticeably warm to the touch.

I put them in a ziplock and freezer for a few minutes. Only if I need to charge the batteries very fast for a mission. Beware of condensation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl