Batteries

Reaction score
Looking at buying extra batteries for my Phantom 3 standard. What are some pros and cons of getting the less-expensive aftermarket ones versus the DJI OEM batteries?

Sent from my XT1080 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Welcome to the forum. There are many threads related to aftermarket batteries. Try the search function please before you start a new thread.

Tobby

PROS: VERY CHEAP

CONS: Not very reliable, do not give you great piece of mind when flying, As they are LiPo's The fire/explosion risk is greatly increased

Personally, I would either get refurbished official batteries or just wait for the price to drop...

You sill be OK. I had 3rd party ones at £60 a battery. In fact... Was much better then the official battery as it lasted 3 mins longer and charged up 15 mins quicker. It's like buying a car..... Does it mean buying from the dealer will be better then buying it from your friend 2nd hand. DJI may be the official maker of the battery... But it doesn't mean that they patent the lipo. Ford made the first ever car... Doesn't mean to say every other make is rubbish. Read the customer reviews on each 3rd party battery

Neon Euc

You sill be OK. I had 3rd party ones at £60 a battery. In fact... Was much better then the official battery as it lasted 3 mins longer and charged up 15 mins quicker. It's like buying a car..... Does it mean buying from the dealer will be better then buying it from your friend 2nd hand. DJI may be the official maker of the battery... But it doesn't mean that they patent the lipo. Ford made the first ever car... Doesn't mean to say every other make is rubbish. Read the customer reviews on each 3rd party battery

Neon Euc

DJI didn't patent the lipo, but they do have a lot of control over the firmware in the smart battery. That's where a lot of the troubles come into play with aftermarket batteries.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

DJI didn't patent the lipo, but they do have a lot of control over the firmware in the smart battery. That's where a lot of the troubles come into play with aftermarket batteries.

I totally agree with you and at the same time I feel that DJI isn't the only one who makes decent batteries as my 3rd party battery worked perfectly. Thinking about it... It's like drones. So many drones are out there that isn't DJI, does that mean to say they are unreliable as they are not using official DJI batteries?
Of course it's always going to be a risk not buying OEM but as always it's up to the individual to make the choice

Neon Euc

I totally agree with you and at the same time I feel that DJI isn't the only one who makes decent batteries as my 3rd party battery worked perfectly. Thinking about it... It's like drones. So many drones are out there that isn't DJI, does that mean to say they are unreliable as they are not using official DJI batteries?
Of course it's always going to be a risk not buying OEM but as always it's up to the individual to make the choice

Neon Euc
....and a choice I believe you chose to reverse Neon. Remind us what the reasons were, that helped you make that decision mate, as (unlike many others on here, myself included BTW!) you've had experience of using both OE and non-OE?

Reactions: Neon Euc
....and a choice I believe you chose to reverse Neon. Remind us what the reasons were, that helped you make that decision mate, as (unlike many others on here, myself included BTW!) you've had experience of using both OE and non-OE?
That's right [emoji4] I did take the chance on getting a 3rd party battery for £60 and had about 10 flights on it. All were successful and I really did push the battery to the limit going just under 3 miles out and back again.

But I sold it (for £70, £10 profit for me[emoji6]) as I was reading a lot about people not advising to buy them as they are not "OEM"

But looking back I will see myself getting a 3rd party battery again from the same seller. The way I look at it is the seller won't want to sell any bad batteries as he will lose money and may even be sued if a customer has a drone that falls out the sky due to dodgy battery so I'm sure the seller makes sure he has the best tech he can.

I read a lot of customer reviews and in all honesty I know a lot of sellers try and delete bad feedback and only leave good ones on. But he has left some bad feedback and even then there was only about 1-2 bad reviews which was down to battery being damaged on transit.

All in all I think it's peace of mind for most people to get OEM. But as soon as I have my first crash, then I will start using 3rd party batteries. Just got to pay the drone of first tho as I got it at very.co.uk on the buy now pay 12 months later 0%

And for that reason I don't want to risk it lol

Neon Euc

Reactions: Numone
That's right [emoji4] I did take the chance on getting a 3rd party battery for £60 and had about 10 flights on it. All were successful and I really did push the battery to the limit going just under 3 miles out and back again.

But I sold it (for £70, £10 profit for me[emoji6]) as I was reading a lot about people not advising to buy them as they are not "OEM"

But looking back I will see myself getting a 3rd party battery again from the same seller. The way I look at it is the seller won't want to sell any bad batteries as he will lose money and may even be sued if a customer has a drone that falls out the sky due to dodgy battery so I'm sure the seller makes sure he has the best tech he can.

I read a lot of customer reviews and in all honesty I know a lot of sellers try and delete bad feedback and only leave good ones on. But he has left some bad feedback and even then there was only about 1-2 bad reviews which was down to battery being damaged on transit.

All in all I think it's peace of mind for most people to get OEM. But as soon as I have my first crash, then I will start using 3rd party batteries. Just got to pay the drone of first tho as I got it at very.co.uk on the buy now pay 12 months later 0%

And for that reason I don't want to risk it lol

Neon Euc
Makes sense... cheers Neon!

In my opinion, I think it's crazy to buy an aftermarket cheaper battery. Think about it... you've invested some good hard cash into your drone. Why buy a cheap battery that has the risk of failing while your in flight and dropping the aircraft out of the sky? My advice would be to stay OEM.

Risk vs reward

I appreciate the reply and know you have a point. But also remember that official OEM batteries has been known to cut off and also swell up. [emoji6]

Neon Euc

Neon Euc

What was the brand of the third party battery you tried? I am currently trying to decide between 1 OEM battery or 2 third party batteries on Amazon for my P3S. Reviews have been mixed; however, there are more good reviews on Amazon than bad ones for the Powerextra brand.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I appreciate the reply and know you have a point. But also remember that official OEM batteries has been known to cut off and also swell up. [emoji6]

Neon Euc

Which would be covered under warranty, unlike third-party batteries.

What was the brand of the third party battery you tried? I am currently trying to decide between 1 OEM battery or 2 third party batteries on Amazon for my P3S. Reviews have been mixed; however, there are more good reviews on Amazon than bad ones for the Powerextra brand.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
When I am on my laptop next I will give you the link (using phone app on here at the mo) but I did do a video review on YouTube with the link if that helps. Type in neon euc on YouTube and you will come across me. This is the video you need [emoji6]
1485835487523.png

Neon Euc

Reactions: ToddR79

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez