AVL58 cable cutting

Reaction score
I have found the instructions for installing the AVL58 cable as seen in the picture. I want to cut the cable shorter though, about 2" from the plug, before the "Y". Can anyone tell me how these wires currently exposed in the picture -red (power), black (ground), and yellow (video) and the video ground are colored coming out of the plug? I have read that these colors do not coincide with the wire colors at the plug, and I am scared to cut it because i may not be able to figure it out. It would be a much cleaner installation though if i could eliminate most of the length.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_133020_313.jpg
    IMG_20140616_133020_313.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 465
The best thing to get without a doubt is the "FPV HUB" from DJI. It includes the needed ribbon cables in the appropriate lengths and makes installing the AVL58 a solder free job. It is only $16 and if you are using the iOSD Mini as well I would suggest it. You can see it on the left side of the photo behind the iOSD Mini.

This is my Phantom after installing the AVL58 iOSD Mini, and FPV Hub

eB9Mban.jpg

DDMSteve said:
The best thing to get without a doubt is the "FPV HUB" from DJI. It includes the needed ribbon cables in the appropriate lengths and makes installing the AVL58 a solder free job. It is only $16 and if you are using the iOSD Mini as well I would suggest it. You can see it on the left side of the photo behind the iOSD Mini.

Okay, that's cool. But when you say 'solder free', Are you not using the four wires on the Phantom that have no plug on them from the factory? How does it attach to those without soldering? or do you not use them at all?

edit: I have Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D

syngen smythe said:
DDMSteve said:

Okay, that's cool. But when you say 'solder free', Are you not using the four wires on the Phantom that have no plug on them from the factory? How does it attach to those without soldering? or do you not use them at all?

edit: I have Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D

The wire that is connected to the main circuit board in the phantom (that is just bare and taped under the Zenmuse cable) is replaced with a ribbon cabled that has two connectors at each end. Like I said - no soldering/heat shrink at all! I am perfectly capable of hacking and soldering, but the OCD in me really appreciated a simple $16 part to get the job done neatly and have less weight than all of the other stuff that would have been involved. I would link you to my own site but we haven't received them in stock yet :oops: so here is an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I82 ... e=UTF8&me=

DDMSteve said:
The wire that is connected to the main circuit board in the phantom (that is just bare and taped under the Zenmuse cable) is replaced with a ribbon cabled that has two connectors at each end. Like I said - no soldering/heat shrink at all! I am perfectly capable of hacking and soldering, but the OCD in me really appreciated a simple $16 part to get the job done neatly and have less weight than all of the other stuff that would have been involved. I would link you to my own site but we haven't received them in stock yet :oops: so here is an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I82 ... e=UTF8&me=

Got it. Looks like the right way to go. Last question before I order:

Would I toss the AVL58 cable that I already cut the ends off of, and use a replacement cable in the kit? Or do I need to find a replacement now that I have hacked it already.

The AVL58 cable that you have cut up simply gets chucked into the bin. The OCD hobbyist in me was so glad I didn't have to hack together so many different cables. When you are using the iOSD mini what end up with is like 3 different ribbon cables of 4 wires each getting cut and spliced all together, AFTER butchering the AVL58 cable to only end up with the 4 wires you need.

Best $16 I have ever spent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl