Autopilot iOS question

J&L

Reaction score
image.png image.png So I have been messing around with autopilot on my iPad mini 2 since the weather has been crappy. My question is when you create a mission say Waypoints and your takeoff location is different then the 1st starting waypoint. Will it accend to the first waypoints altitude before proceeding to it. My driveway is a huge concrete pad so I use it for my take off and landing but my waypoint mission starts in a field beside me. Take a look at pic provided. I just don't want to crash my copter into the trees.

I have not tried the waypoint on the P3 yet but if it works like the P2 did it would bee line to the first waypoint, not ascend to the height then got to waypoint #1. Upon takeoff it would head right for the point at an angle. Be sure to plan for that incase the P3 does the same.

Here is a good video explaining it...

It's best to take off to the height of the first waypoint and then start the mission.

From Flight School under Default Altitude:
Critical When engaged, Autopilot will navigate directly to the First Waypoint at the Altitude configured for that Waypoint. It is important to ensure that the entire Flight Path between the starting location and the First Waypoint is clear of obstructions at all altitudes.

To add clarity: this altitude, like all Altitudes in the app, is bounded by Altitude Priority.

View attachment 41166 View attachment 41165 So I have been messing around with autopilot on my iPad mini 2 since the weather has been crappy. My question is when you create a mission say Waypoints and your takeoff location is different then the 1st starting waypoint. Will it accend to the first waypoints altitude before proceeding to it. My driveway is a huge concrete pad so I use it for my take off and landing but my waypoint mission starts in a field beside me. Take a look at pic provided. I just don't want to crash my copter into the trees.

I created 21 waypoints on my iphone 6plus and launched. Here is the video link.

Last edited:
I have read about the altitude priority and didn't understand it. I have read it a couple times and still confused. But I think it's I difference between my current altitude and the altitude I have programmed in the mission correct me if I am wrong. And if it differs it will bring the AC to a stop and adjust accordingly

So I'm under the impression that I should take off and fly to the altitude I have set for my mission and head torwards my first waypoint and then engage the mission

I used the Autopilot for IOS this past weekend, I take off and hover to about 10 ft then engage . The Phantom will raise to the height of the first waypoint then head to it. Make sure there is nothing in between .
At the last waypoint I either set it to hover or return to home,again be careful with obstacles.
here is a video of the park.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Wang J Coon
Good advice from others above, fly to your first waypoint or make sure you have a ckear run to it from the home point. First mission you engage you will be amazed how quickly it launches. You will be lucky to disengage before its too late if you get it wrong.

A bit of advice, make your first waypoint closer to you and ensure soeed of first segment will allow a safe climb above any obstacles before waypoint two (having regard to maximum ascent velocity). This is imporyant because if the climb rate isnt fast enough it will still head to the next waypoint and finish the ascent before proceeding.

I dont nean to be rude but if you missed this in your prereading i suggest you research more before your first waypoint mission and/or ask more questions.

Another thing to look at is the mission completion setting. You may want to set return to first waypoint rather than hover at end. Another reason why setting waypoint one close to home can be a good strategy.

Dont forget to check you have an approproate rth altitude set in dji go before running a mission in autopilot.

Have fun!

Reactions: J&L
image.png image.png I have read the flight school a couple times it feels like and I also keep referring to it. It's been down right cold here so I've just been planning and reading. I will adjust my first waypoint to where I take off and I will make it my end point just for the ease of things. I have set all camera settings and RTH in DJI go. Changed my flight plan. Looks better I believe

View attachment 41250 View attachment 41249 I have read the flight school a couple times it feels like and I also keep referring to it. It's been down right cold here so I've just been planning and reading. I will adjust my first waypoint to where I take off and I will make it my end point just for the ease of things. I have set all camera settings and RTH in DJI go. Changed my flight plan. Looks better I believe

Its better to be safe than sorry so you were wise to add a waypoint above your take off position, but if your first original waypoint was the one labelled as 2 in your new screenshot just above your concrete parking area you would have been OK taking off from that conrete area provided you did not place the Plantom too close to a parked car.

If you have not used AutoFlight before it is alarming to see the Phantom 3 suddenly lift off, rotate and climb to an altitude without you touching the sticks and you feel a little out of control but you get used to it.

The only other thing to be aware of if engaging a mode while in flight is altitude reference mentioned in 7.4 of the manual. If you are already at an altitude and have not set an altitude reference then make sure you set an appropiate reference point otherwise it may climb higher than you expect and the camera will be pitched to the wrong angle.

Getting nervous now lol. I'm kinda a control freak. Weather isn't looking good for another week. Plenty more reading to do lol.

Getting nervous now lol. I'm kinda a control freak. Weather isn't looking good for another week. Plenty more reading to do lol.

Ah you'll get used to it, I liken it to cruise control on your car, that feeling when you first set the speed and the car kept going without your foot on the gas. You probably don't even think about cruise control on your car now, you join the highway and push that button and off you go.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your flights.

I'll be sure to post a video of the first waypoint flight for sure.

This is imporyant because if the climb rate isnt fast enough it will still head to the next waypoint and finish the ascent before proceeding.
Yes, but only within the bounds of Altitude Priority. To further clarify Altitude Priority, it means that if the distance between the aircraft and the target altitude is further than the distance specified by the Altitude Priority setting (either higher or lower), Autopilot will halt horizontal movement until the gap is closed. For example, if the aircraft is at 50 ft, and the target altitude is 150 ft, and Altitude Priority is set to 49 ft (the default), the aircraft will stop moving horizontally and ascend to 101 ft before then proceeding to move both horizontally and vertically.

In the case of Modes such as Zip Line or Waypoint where there may be two target altitudes (Point A and B are different, or Waypoint 1 and 2 are different), then Altitude Priority applies when the aircraft is below the lower of the two, or above the higher of the two. For example, say the aircraft is flying between two Waypoints, 1 and 2, where Waypoint 1 is at 100 ft, and Waypoint 2 is at 200 ft. While Autopilot will attempt to evenly interpolate the target altitude of the aircraft between the two points, Altitude Priority will not apply as long as the aircraft is at any altitude between 100 and 200 ft while flying that segment. However, if the aircraft is below 100 ft, or above 200 ft at any point on the segment, Altitude Priority could apply, if the difference was greater than 49 ft.

In the case of flying to the first Waypoint, the situation is easier to understand because there are not two points. Again, if the first Waypoint is at 150 ft, and Altitude Priority is 49 ft, then the aircraft will take off and ascend to 101 ft before attempting to fly to the first Waypoint.

Yes, but only within the bounds of Altitude Priority. To further clarify Altitude Priority, it means that if the distance between the aircraft and the target altitude is further than the distance specified by the Altitude Priority setting (either higher or lower), Autopilot will halt horizontal movement until the gap is closed. For example, if the aircraft is at 50 ft, and the target altitude is 150 ft, and Altitude Priority is set to 49 ft (the default), the aircraft will stop moving horizontally and ascend to 101 ft before then proceeding to move both horizontally and vertically.

In the case of Modes such as Zip Line or Waypoint where there may be two target altitudes (Point A and B are different, or Waypoint 1 and 2 are different), then Altitude Priority applies when the aircraft is below the lower of the two, or above the higher of the two. For example, say the aircraft is flying between two Waypoints, 1 and 2, where Waypoint 1 is at 100 ft, and Waypoint 2 is at 200 ft. While Autopilot will attempt to evenly interpolate the target altitude of the aircraft between the two points, Altitude Priority will not apply as long as the aircraft is at any altitude between 100 and 200 ft while flying that segment. However, if the aircraft is below 100 ft, or above 200 ft at any point on the segment, Altitude Priority could apply, if the difference was greater than 49 ft.

In the case of flying to the first Waypoint, the situation is easier to understand because there are not two points. Again, if the first Waypoint is at 150 ft, and Altitude Priority is 49 ft, then the aircraft will take off and ascend to 101 ft before attempting to fly to the first Waypoint.
Thank you for the clarification. For comfort (and my own preference) i suspect i will continue to fly out to an obstruction free area manually. There is still the potential for user error (me) and to come unstuck even with the altitude priority safegaurd. It also gives me the opportunity to observe the aircraft response to manual control and know all is well before i hand over to autopilot.

Doesn't matter what app you choose; always have your finger on the mode toggle and be ready to put it back to P mode. Also it is very good to keep in mind that the phantom's camera field of view can be deceiving in terms of actual distance to an object. That 97 degree fov takes some getting used to and nothing does it quicker than working with missions. Adding an extra 100' or even a bit more to your altitude is not a problem for keeping things close enough in the frame. You don't have to risk close fly by maneuvers to get that close up shot. At up to 250' away, a large enough target can look pretty close in the shot. Experiment, and work with your fov to keep it interesting and safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl