Autopilot 2.0 out now

You seem really sold on this unit, but I'm not so sure. Almost 50% of the users on Amazon are having major problems with this unit and have been waiting for several months for a resolution. Either it is having problems with iOS or it has some other problem. Also, you have to choose the mode you want to share with iOS - it is either GPS or Barometer - you can't have both at the same time. I don't think digital readout and the barometer are worth the extra $100 for me.
Well, I have both the $150 2200 and the $250 2300. Long story, but Apple bricked all older BT GPS units back in March when they updated their iOS to 8.3. The 2300 was the only unit that still worked, as it uses a newer iOS interface. Bad Elf offered the 2300 unit to all 2200 owners for $150, which got me through the 4 months until Apple restored the functionality of the 2200 and all other older BT GPS units that were bricked by the 8.3 iOS update with their 8.4 iOS update. So, all I can tell you is that both Bad Elf units now work with DJI GO on iOS, and the 2300 locks faster and adds GLONASS to the 2200, along with a 25 hour battery life. The iPad Air 2 has its own internal barometer, as I recall, so while in the GPS mode on the 2300, the iOS will deliver the native barometer info and the 2300 GPS data. If you don't care about knowing the accuracy of the unit before using it to reset the Home Point, get the Dual 160 unit. I find that accuracy critical, but I got it for $100 less.

Last edited:
Just because DJI provided the SDK to the 3rd party developers does not mean DJI is, in any way, liable for the coding they do with it. How are you going to prove that it is DJI's fault you crashed, when you used a 3rd party app to completely control the flight? That is your burden to prove. Not happening. It's common sense. It will void your warranty for sure. Let me put it another way: No lawyer will take your case. :cool:

I am not so sure you are as right as you think you are. I have no facts to back this up but unless you have some facts to back up what you are saying then our opinions are very equal.

And trust me, a lawyer would definitely take your case if you were willing to pay their asking price.

I have all the third party apps and nothing comes even close to the Litchi app! Far more functional with greater options and less limitations.

I have all the third party apps and nothing comes even close to the Litchi app! Far more functional with greater options and less limitations.

I was considering getting a second hand android tablet to try Litchi but it does look a bit short on flight modes, apart from waypoints which I do not see the appeal of, what are the functions and options?

Litchi has a lot more than autopilot in my opinion, the waypoint option has more to offer than just waypoint flights, you have options to use poi within waypoints, options to carry out cable cam functions, interpolate, many options to do different things at waypoints, programmable mode switches, ability to further adjust follow me and missions using the sticks. The virtual reality mode is just awesome and far better than expensive goggles! less limitations too with missions. Selfie option is coming soon as well as camera functions and settings. I find that the auto gimbal gesture is a lot smoother using litchi during missions and poi too. The magic leash allows to use a second device that the phantom or inspire can follow with it being connected to the RC! I'v spent considerable time trying all the third party apps and this is by far my favourite and many others think the same.

Litchi has a lot more than autopilot in my opinion, the waypoint option has more to offer than just waypoint flights, you have options to use poi within waypoints, options to carry out cable cam functions, interpolate, many options to do different things at waypoints, programmable mode switches, ability to further adjust follow me and missions using the sticks. The virtual reality mode is just awesome and far better than expensive goggles! less limitations too with missions. Selfie option is coming soon as well as camera functions and settings. I find that the auto gimbal gesture is a lot smoother using litchi during missions and poi too. The magic leash allows to use a second device that the phantom or inspire can follow with it being connected to the RC! I'v spent considerable time trying all the third party apps and this is by far my favourite and many others think the same.

I'm not one to have my head down on a map so the whole mission planning thing is not of interest, even though you can perform actions at certain points of the mission. Just seems a bit haphazard or requires too much thinking over the map. The Magic Leash is interesting and really clever as it uses an internet connection is that right, rather than bluetooth? So you could have a subject quite a distance from the controller?

One thing their website is not clear on though and I have not seen any examples is whether in things like follow me, orbit or waypoint whether it can track GPS and altitude of the operator or magic leash? I noticed on the website you have to set the altitude of the subject to follow so that the gimbal can point at the subject as well as the altitude of the Phantom 3, but that seems strange, surely it accounts for the operator moving?

I think they looks at it from different sides and AFL implemented many flight modes with 10s or more customisation with advanced use of the operators iOS device for location and control of the Phantom 3 or Inspire while Litchi nailed the ground station.

Give both a couple of months and we'll have some really exciting options available to us. At the moment though I'm sticking with the AFL and keeping the money for the android in my pocket.

My understanding is Litchi does not have camera controls. This is a non-started for videographers wanting FULL autopilot functions for aircraft and camera.

My understanding is Litchi does not have camera controls. This is a non-started for videographers wanting FULL autopilot functions for aircraft and camera.

I have been wondering why people keep saying Litchi has more functions etc. This was one of the things I can't fend in Litchi which is huge !

What's the maximum flight altitude over home point on a P3, outside the US, achievable with the software?

I am not so sure you are as right as you think you are. I have no facts to back this up but unless you have some facts to back up what you are saying then our opinions are very equal.

And trust me, a lawyer would definitely take your case if you were willing to pay their asking price.
When it comes to issues of liability, opinions are irrelevant. The disclaimers and the warranty terms are all that matters. If it isn't explicitly covered, it's not. The disclaimers also explicitly state that you use these 3rd party apps at your own risk. Find a lawyer to take your hypothetical case and prove me wrong. Expecting the DJI warranty to cover flying with 3rd party apps is like believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. Sorry. It's called assumption of the risk. You are on your own. The DJI warranty requires you to prove it wasn't pilot error. That is a difficult enough burden when flying with DJI GO. It will be impossible with a 3rd party app, as even flying under the control of a 3rd party app will be deemed pilot error. If you aren't willing to assume the risk, stick with DJI GO. It's a great app, and getting better.

It,s a good application before DJI launches it's new FW. It contains many features of autopilot. I,m testing both maybe I'll send you some feedback in a few weeks

When it comes to issues of liability, opinions are irrelevant. The disclaimers and the warranty terms are all that matters. If it isn't explicitly covered, it's not. The disclaimers also explicitly state that you use these 3rd party apps at your own risk. Find a lawyer to take your hypothetical case and prove me wrong. Expecting the DJI warranty to cover flying with 3rd party apps is like believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. Sorry. It's called assumption of the risk. You are on your own. The DJI warranty requires you to prove it wasn't pilot error. That is a difficult enough burden when flying with DJI GO. It will be impossible with a 3rd party app, as even flying under the control of a 3rd party app will be deemed pilot error. If you aren't willing to assume the risk, stick with DJI GO. It's a great app, and getting better.

Facts????

This is a fairly important issue here IMHO. You could very likely be scaring some wouldbe Autopilot users into not using the software.
I have no affiliation with this company or DJI but, again, unless you have some relevant info or facts, I think you are doing Autoflight Logic a disservice by making the statements you are making.

If you know for sure, as in, you have seen the wording in writing, then please by all means show me/us.

Facts????

This is a fairly important issue here IMHO. You could very likely be scaring some wouldbe Autopilot users into not using the software.
I have no affiliation with this company or DJI but, again, unless you have some relevant info or facts, I think you are doing Autoflight Logic a disservice by making the statements you are making.

If you know for sure, as in, you have seen the wording in writing, then please by all means show me/us.
I have no dog in this "fight" either, but as an informed consumer, if you really are naive enough to think that either DJI or AutoLogic will warranty your aircraft if anything goes horribly wrong while flying using AutoLogic, be my guest and pursue such a claim. I wish you good luck! You'll need it. This is not in any way a slam against AutoLogic. It's just the facts. If AutoLogic assumes all liabillity for any damage during an AutoLogic controlled flight, they certainly will contradict me, but their silence so far is deafening. :cool:

Tested AFL today, seems to be working well, but something annoying is that, just like DJI GO, it seems to be using an old version of the map. In comparison, Google map in a browser shows some much more recent version of the map.
The area I'm flying has changed from very wild to a network of tracks. AFL and DJI GO both show the old wild area, which makes it impossible - or at least not easy at all - to place with precision markers for the various modes....
@autoflightlogic , I'm wondering if there are are any options in the SDK that allows you to select the map version - I also heard others with the same issue saying that it was caused by the use of the Apple map instead f the Google map ? if that is true any way to set it back to latest google map ?

If AutoLogic assumes all liabillity for any damage during an AutoLogic controlled flight, they certainly will contradict me, but their silence so far is deafening. :cool:
Our stance on this has been covered elsewhere, including the Autopilot EULA that all users must agree to before using the app, but we can state it again. Users take full responsibility while using the software as it is meant to provide assisted flight control only. That is, Flight School expects you to be ready to override Autopilot at the first sign of danger.

Having said that, we realize there may be rare exceptions where the software truly causes an unrecoverable situation, and we are willing to listen and be reasonable. If you do experience a crash, we will of course perform a complete crash analysis if you send us the flight logs and video (if available). We have already done this for several users both publicly, and privately (via [email protected]), and provided explanations and conclusions well beyond their expectations in each case. In all cases it was mutually agreed that the operator was at fault and in some cases our analysis even led to the recovery of the lost aircraft when it would have otherwise never been found.

I'm wondering if there are are any options in the SDK that allows you to select the map version - I also heard others with the same issue saying that it was caused by the use of the Apple map instead f the Google map ? if that is true any way to set it back to latest google map ?
We are using Apple maps, but are considering switching to Google maps in the next version, and this is one of the reasons.

We have already done this for several users
I will also point out that there have only been 4 incidents that we are aware of out of the thousands of flights logged with Autopilot. That is 4 operator error incidents, and 0 computer caused incidents.

I'm not one to have my head down on a map so the whole mission planning thing is not of interest, even though you can perform actions at certain points of the mission. Just seems a bit haphazard or requires too much thinking over the map. The Magic Leash is interesting and really clever as it uses an internet connection is that right, rather than bluetooth? So you could have a subject quite a distance from the controller?

One thing their website is not clear on though and I have not seen any examples is whether in things like follow me, orbit or waypoint whether it can track GPS and altitude of the operator or magic leash? I noticed on the website you have to set the altitude of the subject to follow so that the gimbal can point at the subject as well as the altitude of the Phantom 3, but that seems strange, surely it accounts for the operator moving?

I think they looks at it from different sides and AFL implemented many flight modes with 10s or more customisation with advanced use of the operators iOS device for location and control of the Phantom 3 or Inspire while Litchi nailed the ground station.

Give both a couple of months and we'll have some really exciting options available to us. At the moment though I'm sticking with the AFL and keeping the money for the android in my pocket.

I have both apps. The main differences I've noticed so far is the incredible responsiveness of the Litchi developers to suggestions. They've incorporated nearly every suggestions made by beta testers in mere days.

Their ground station is a much more flexible implementation of cable cam than zipline. You can have multiple points (rather than just 2) and have multiple focus points (rather than just 1).

With regards to altitude- follow me mode does utilize operator altitude.

With regards to flight modes- which mode do you truly use in autopilot that is missing? Maybe focus, but Litchi is working on this one with possible workaround to get the p3 to yaw as well as pitch.

For those wondering about camera settings, neither apps currently have camera settings. You have to preset in Go. I'm willing to bet that Litchi will have them much sooner.

Reactions: louforgiveno
Our stance on this has been covered elsewhere, including the Autopilot EULA that all users must agree to before using the app, but we can state it again. Users take full responsibility while using the software as it is meant to provide assisted flight control only. That is, Flight School expects you to be ready to override Autopilot at the first sign of danger.

Having said that, we realize there may be rare exceptions where the software truly causes an unrecoverable situation, and we are willing to listen and be reasonable. If you do experience a crash, we will of course perform a complete crash analysis if you send us the flight logs and video (if available). We have already done this for several users both publicly, and privately (via [email protected]), and provided explanations and conclusions well beyond their expectations in each case. In all cases it was mutually agreed that the operator was at fault and in some cases our analysis even led to the recovery of the lost aircraft when it would have otherwise never been found.

Thanks for clarifying what I have been trying to say. The link to your "Our stance on this has been covered elsewhere" is on the Inspire Forum, and not here, which is why Phantom owners haven't seen it before. What still hasn't been covered, and I am certain you also know the answer, is what DJI's position is on their warranty, while flying under control of any 3rd party software, including Autopilot. It is null and void, right? The user voids the DJI warranty by flying the Phantom under control of any app other than DJI GO. I assume that statement is also contained in your EULA.

Where can we read the entire Autopilot EULA before purchasing Autopilot?

It's a great app, but users must understand that they assume all risks while flying with it, and cannot look to either AutoPilot nor DJI for any compensation for crashes while using it. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart