Atti skill important?

Reaction score
With rth and home lock options to deal with emergencies, how important is being skilled in atti mode? My quad experience is about a dozen flights and always too windy or trees to deal with atti comfortably. Is there a loss of signal scenario where atti is only way to bring her back?

Enjoy all the useful stuff on this forum.

It's important to understand that your Phantom is going to drift with the wind when in ATTI mode. It's also important to know when your Phantom switches to ATTI mode on its own. All should be well if you have both of those things in check.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Very important- loose your GPS lock (rare outdoors) or compass (more common and disables GPS positioning) and you are in ATTI mode. ATTI mode also allows you to fly more smoothly so can be very helpful in getting nice footage.

Whenever I try atti mode I also have my finger ready to switch back to p-mode if I feel uncomfortable with it. It's instantly back to hover in place.

Reactions: sparky1111
I guess this is something I need to allot some time to practice,,the smooth photography shooting would be a big help,,

You need to know how to fly the drone in atti mode, it will come into its own one day when the **** hits the fan and you HAVE to fly it, always use your last bit of battery to fly close by in atti

Learning to fly in ATTI is important when your grandson asks you to help him learn how to fly his $100 quad rotor that he received for Christmas. It has been 3++ weeks since he first/last flew it because it took that long for the wind to blow it out of the top of a large oak tree at my son's mother-in-laws house. If you are comfortable with flying in ATTI mode, then flying his inexpensive quad will be a bit less stressful and you will be a hero especially if you are capable of trimming while fighting to keep it out of the trees. Once trimmed, all that you are dealing with is the wind. Now, you give him the controls and coach him on flying steady 4' off the ground with very small stick movements. Yea.... right... ! Does this sound familiar? ............Wow...I just remembered why I bought a Phantom.......to enjoy flying and eliminate all of the issues mentioned above. Thank you DJI and all of you who contribute to this forum. Life is great.

Yup, buy a cheap husban and fly it indoors, that will get you used to flying in atti mode :)

X5C is very nice for learning and stable;

f93815bfb825fe78318a4a931634dca7.jpg

I think your better off not having one that stable, unstable might be better as you need to constantly move the sticks to keep it where you want it to go

X5C is very nice for learning and stable;

f93815bfb825fe78318a4a931634dca7.jpg

Exactly the bird I used to learn how to fly on before any of the others, agree. Don't go to high with it though as a brisk wind will take it away from you but agreed, the x5c is the bird to practice your atti controls for $50.

Reactions: Axised
You can switch on Atti once at altitude to see direction and speed of upper winds, the drone will just drift with the wind, so you can know what you're dealing with.

Reactions: Jussaguy
You can switch on Atti once at altitude to see direction and speed of upper winds, the drone will just drift with the wind, so you can know what you're dealing with.
It should also be noted that atti mode is what you should preferably fly in for video shots.

The less computation, the better the smoothness of the shot. Some shots you just MUST be on a GPS mode (I.e. Follow me) but if you are looking for that "silky smooth" look some photographers speak of, you need to be in some flavor of atti mode as not having to compute the GPS coordinates on every frame will let the bird just glide better. This is changing with every iteration and not every person is aware of it, but it screams at others.

You just have to know how to fly and your surroundings.

For example, I got in a crash a month ago where I didn't feel it was my fault completely, or at all frankly, because I was in WP mode and hit a tree. DJI was kind to me and fixed it at a very good rate when didn't charge me labor or shipping so I lucked out but then next crash was this.

I was in the Valley Flyers field which you have to work REAL HARD to crash there as it's just open nothingness.

So I was testing the bird there because it was setting wayward waypoints dynamically for no reason and it set one that was literally 8.7 miles away. It would not let me change the coordinates and so it went in to auto RTH as it should if it thinks you're 8.7 miles from home.

I turned it in to sport mode (which is the atti mode with full speed) and was just flying the bat out.

Finally as I was bringing it in once at storage level, I came soaring back at full speed, and because I'm in the habit of flying in GPS mode, stupidly I didn't have the forethought to come in slower. % stupidity on my end.

By the time I realized I was in atti mode and being dumb it was too late. I pulled back on the throttle but it still glided it right into the tree (I was going like 45mph). Luckily I just had to re-case it as there was magically no damage to any other parts other than a nasty case.

Moral of story: Try to make your posts shorter than this (sorry ADHD), and also learn how to fly in atti.

Flying in non-atti is almost as good as calling yourself a pilot for engaging auto-pilot. A blessing and a curse.

As said, learn to fly on the X5C. Few reasons. You'll make some repairs which is always good to learn and it takes a beating! You can crash it to the ground from 100 feet up and it will probably go right back up. They keep coming out with other ones but Syma X5c is always a bird I have in my house. If I'm feeling funky, I'll break out my x5c or one of my favorite things 180-280s but the x5c for my money is the most fun bird to fly out of ALL of them. It's a pure joy and fantastic for flying around the house.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl