Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

Ok. Your right. It's nonsense. No danger here. Their just toys flying where aircraft fly. No concern here. Got it. You have backed up your argument with solid facts. Your right. You win. Do you feel better now? I would like to hear your argument again next year when we are all here discussing an incident, hopefully it won't cost any lives.

First, if you would like to have an intelligent conversation, know the proper use of your, you're, they're, and their.

I haven't attacked anyone and don't appreciate the condescension.

Maybe I just don't like rules, especially rules placed on me over what people think could maybe happen one day in the future but hasn't ever happened before.

Reactions: GaDrone
The vast majority of people are ethical and responsible. The ones who aren't are remarkable for their rarity. I don't (and doubt you do) think that those who oppose registration are unethical, most of them have very ethical reasons for opposing it. We may disagree with them, but their opinion is as valid as ours. What we don't like is irresponsible and juvenile behavior. And that's what got us into this position with the FAA in the first place.

Actually, I am vehemently opposed to registration.

I don't think people on either side of the argument are necessarily ethical or unethical. Registration is not an ethics issue.

My understanding is some people believe (falsely, IMO) that registration is somehow linked to safety. Many others seem to be ambivalent about the topic and don't seem to care because it is such a small amount of government over-reach. Still others actively welcome the regulation because they see it as the beginning of more regulations and rules for the hobby (which they see as a good thing).

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and also believe that the majority are ethical. When I read things like the post that prompted my original reply, it makes me wonder.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It doesn't make that opinion correct and it is especially frustrating when the opinion is based on a false premise.

I have to disagree on what you feel got us into this position. You can take just about any item and find people dangerously misusing it on YouTube. It seems a by-product of the Jackass generation... they see stupid, dangerous things on MTV and figure they can do it and be a celebrity too. This behavior is not limited to drones.

What got us into this was a perfect storm of BS. It is new exciting tech in a growing segment... the "it" toy for this year's holiday season. Adding to that is military/law enforcement use of "drones." While entirely different, the media uses the term interchangeably for dramatic effect. "Drone strike kills terrorist cell in Afghanistan." followed by "U.S. Government using drones to assassinate American citizens" followed by "Local Sheriff want to use drones to spy on citizens" followed by "Drone spotted near sporting event." There is a strong "drones are evil" narrative, lacking any factual basis.

The public is virtually led to believe that a military drone loaded with ordnance or surveillance gear is pretty much the same as a P3. We know that's hogwash, but the average viewer of mind-numbing trash like "Good Morning America" or "The View" is being bombarded with a message of fear.

This plays well for our do-nothing legislators. They prey on irrational fears of the masses. It gives them a chance to appear they are doing something. So they call the FAA and scream. They hold congressional hearings to discuss the national emergency of all these drones falling from the sky and killing people. It helps us not to notice that they are ruining the economy and stealing from the taxpayers.

(For the record and to answer a question posed in this thread - from the stats I have found indicate there has not been a single fatality caused by a drone. There have been fatalities due to RC model aircraft. Also, there has not been a single drone collision with a manned aircraft. Oddly, there have been several manned aircraft collisions with turtles (see article in Popular Science). To my above point, these turtle collisions have not made the news which explains the lack of public outcry and FAA requirements for turtle registration).

Its about fear and control. Yes, a simple registration and $5 fee is an infinitesimal item in the scheme of things. When you take all those infinitesimal items and add them up, they all of a sudden become quite big. It is then too late to get back what was lost. This happens when people lay down and accept it. It happens faster when people fall for the scam and _thank_ the government for solving the problem which doesn't exist.

There are plenty of other areas with similar issues. Some of these things would be banned today if good people didn't fight for every inch of ground.

Going down kicking and screaming tells the government the people are listening and know about the scam. It is how we keep the government accountable. "If they are that upset about a $5 registration scheme, can you imagine what will happen when we announce phase 2 of the plan? There will be a revolt!"

Another thing to consider is precedent. By allowing the FAA to force registration and regulate these hobby craft, there could be unintended consequences. I believe the AMA is upset and/or threatening a lawsuit because these small hobby craft are now considered aircraft. This subjects them to an entirely new set of rules - rules which are designed for an entirely different type of aircraft. I don't think there is any conspiracy here (I don't think the FAA and congress together have enough of a cumulative IQ to create a conspiracy). I see it more as another government boondoggle that will serve no purpose except to create more jobs in the FAA, allow more government contracts to go to FAA "friends" and give lawyers something to file papers about for years to come.

While the scarecrow, tin man and lion were wetting their pants in fear (along with the entire city), only a little dog had the brains to pull at the curtain and expose the truth. There's a lesson to be learned there.

I'm not saying don't register. I'm not even arguing the point one way or the other - that's been done ad nausem. I'm just pointing out why some of us see it as necessary and over-reaching. I also guarantee it will backfire... by the AMA and manufacturers not fighting against registration (the AMA, at least was all for it according to the FAA documents) they have simply paved the way for more aggressive rules which will hurt sales and make this hobby less fun going forward. The FAA is now emboldened.

That's how I see it.

Sorry for the long post. I apparently ended up on a roll.

All ready did. I also got the government FCC required CB radio license back in the day.......how'd that turn out? That's my comparison to the new FAA regulation.

Reactions: MrTommy
All ready did. I also got the government FCC required CB radio license back in the day.......how'd that turn out? That's my comparison to the new FAA regulation.

Here's how it turned out... CB radios lasted a short time and then faded into obscurity. They remained in use by a small gourd of people (truckers) who used them before the craze. Did it even last a year? I'm not claiming registration/regulation were a direct cause and effect. If you want to make that analogy, consider all the factors.

How about the studies on how many lives were saved or catastrophic events avoided due to CB registration. I would be interested in those numbers. :)

Bet ya fingers tired now :)

My fingers never get tired! My computer keyboard is how a take a break from playing a piano keyboard at night. Kind of like a runner jogging in place at a traffic light. :)

That said, I may make an attempt at sleep tonight. Considering the date, I will wish a very Merry Christmas to all - including those on both side of the topic. Keep it safe. Regardless of your faith, let's drop the arguments for a day or two and spend some quality time with our families. Its nice to put things in perspective.

Basically what happened with the CB thing is lack of real regulation and enforcement allowed people to put huge amps on the their cheap radios and with the hoards of users buying them everywhere both amped and not, the band turned into a free-for-all and became totally useless for what it was originally intended. I have an FCC General Operators License and was a Wireless Systems Engineer so I know that history very well.

The radio bands that were and are still usable are the ones that have been strictly regulated and will earn a violator stiff and enforceable FCC fines if used improperly.

Sound familiar?

Reality is what it is regardless what personal opinion may embellish. I'll register and support the FAA policy if nothing else to help protect my rights as a responsible hobbyist.

Reactions: WetDog
Ok. Your right. It's nonsense. No danger here. Their just toys flying where aircraft fly. No concern here. Got it. You have backed up your argument with solid facts. Your right. You win. Do you feel better now? I would like to hear your argument again next year when we are all here discussing an incident, hopefully it won't cost any lives.
Why would we hear of an incident? Didn't the "registration treatment " like sex offenders prevent all of these mishaps with model aircraft?
"Sarcasm "

Reactions: GaDrone
In a nutshell...................... folks are fed up with Big Government. And fed up with the liberals that enable Big Government. Hey, you asked!

I couldn't agree more with you sir. Well said.

Merry Christmas guys. I hope everyone finds the accessory they were hoping for under the tree. I understand Santa could be a little late this year. Something about having to reregister the reindeer...

Merry Christmas to our moderator. No easy task for sure. I'm sure the generous salary and fringes more than make up for all the headaches. ;)

[I went back to the Apple store this morning to pick up a Nest Cam. They still have P3A's (and a couple other brands) on the shelf. I asked two saleskids whether they were advising customers that the owners would need to register. Neither one knew anything about it.]

Merry Christmas guys. I hope everyone finds the accessory they were hoping for under the tree. I understand Santa could be a little late this year. Something about having to reregister the reindeer...

Merry Christmas to our moderator. No easy task for sure. I'm sure the generous salary and fringes more than make up for all the headaches. ;)

[I went back to the Apple store this morning to pick up a Nest Cam. They still have P3A's (and a couple other brands) on the shelf. I asked two saleskids whether they were advising customers that the owners would need to register. Neither one knew anything about it.]

Merry Christmas.

They didn't have computers then so it got out of hand quickly. Now they have unlimited amounts of "our" money to waste anyway they see fit. Just more tax dollars wasted.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Why would we hear of an incident? Didn't the "registration treatment " like sex offenders prevent all of these mishaps with model aircraft?
"Sarcasm "

Be carful what you say to this guy. The mod on this forum will remove. I noticed they did that to a few of our comments. I'm a mod for Garmin and we never remove things like what I posted. Seems to be a one way street on here. Agree with them or loose your privileges.

Last edited:
Yes. Registered. The paranoia is deafening. Even if it's illegal for the FAA to do this I fly by the rules so will be off their radar as a result. And registration is so easy I did it on the drive to work this morning. (Texting is illegal, surfing the net is not!)

Sent from my PT beating heart

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart