Are fire safe battery bags overkill?

Reaction score
I've been wondering, are fire safe bags necessary, or are they overkill? Personally, I feel perfectly comfortable just storing the battery in the box. However, in July I will be traveling with my Phantom 3 Standard on 6 flights. I'm well aware of the procedures for drone travel, as I've done a ton of research. For those of you who don't know, I'm 15, and I'm not made of money. I'll cut to the chase.. I want to be respectful of the airlines and not have any issues with them or the TSA as far as bringing my drones on board. Do you think it's necessary for me to buy one of those fire safe bags to store the lipo in, or can I just tape the terminal and call it a day?

Airlines only require the battery terminals to be covered. If each battery is stored in a separate box (or battery compartment in your case), then that would be sufficient. There is no need to tape the battery terminal and then also put the battery in its individual battery box/compartment.

Reactions: HarleyKen
Airlines only require the battery terminals to be covered. If each battery is stored in a separate box (or battery compartment in your case), then that would be sufficient. There is no need to tape the battery terminal and then also put the battery in its individual battery box/compartment.
Thanks! Removed the bags from my wish list on Amazon.

Roll of blue painters tape and some thin wrapping styrofoam works.

I bought two of them (you can find them for cheap on eBay, perfect size for the P3 batteries) because I wanted to have a way to store them while traveling, in case I was asked to check the P3S case. This is exactly what happened on a flight (in Europe): plane full, no overhead space so they asked me to put my carry-on in the hold. I promptly removed the two batteries from the case, put them in the LiPo bags, and into my backpack together with other stuff, and everything was good. You can cover the terminals with tape, but these bags in my opinion are a better option, as they protect the whole battery. For less then $5 a piece, I recommend them.

Please take care with lipo bags as many 'budget versions' are not much better than a bag with a bit of foil added.

Even the best only 'delay' the fire getting out of hand. Plenty of videos on YouTube on this.

I have 4 of them .... one is with a 12v heater for winter use and others are standard bags. I have 3 to separate the different size lipos I use in the field.
They sit inside a large picnic cool-bag which itself is about as good as the cheap lipo bags !

Nigel

I never considered them fire-proof... at best, they are fire-retardant. Fire-something aside, I use them - and recommend them - as they protect the battery from scratches and other objects, in case I have to put them in the backpack.

Trouble is many labels on them mislead buyers to think they are 'fire-proof' ......

They are really designed for placing battery in when charging.

A good carry bag are the small beer cooler bags .... I have one that is designed for a 6 pack ... and another for picnic stuff. They have foil lining - so will hold any incident long enough to be able to remove to safety.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan