Arctic flight attempt

You have 24 hours of daylight! sounds like to me you need to be performing some valuable Phantom Experiments.:D
I have to work 12hrs/day and get a few hours of sleep in as well. Starting to get dusky around midnight to 2am now. Perfect for low light flights without screen glare. Doing some great hikes in the evening as well. Lots of mountains in the area with excellent vistas for 20kms or so. Climbed Mt. Fugi last evening(google it). The chance to test my drone for distance was what I was interested in as there's not an obstacle for 30kms at the top of the plateau. Have to find a suitable place in the south!

Wow a video would be mindblowing, I'm the same as everyone else to flying in ATTI mode. I fly alot in it, don't use rth so I'm not sure it would even work. I'd keep a stern eye on batt usage

Looked on Google for Fugi. Is that spelled correctly?? Nothing shows up. Wanted to see what it looked like! Mount Fuji is in Japan obviously. Can't find mount Fugi. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looked on Google for Fugi. Is that spelled correctly?? Nothing shows up. Wanted to see what it looked like! Mount Fuji is in Japan obviously. Can't find mount Fugi. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I found it on google earth. Search Nanisivik and look at points of interest in the area. It is only 750 meters or so but with a panoramic view of Strathcona Sound. There used to be a mine and a town in Nanasivik but the mine closed in the early 2000's I think and the contents of the town and mine were placed in the mine and the entrance sealed. The place is technically a desert with less than 150mm of rainfall in a year. Very little vegetation and very few mosquitoes as there in little habitat. A bleak and stark landscape but with a certain appeal that has grown on me. Could be Fuji.

GPS can be horrendous as you go farther and farther north. On an Alaska road trip I remember it being nearly useless at times.

I'm very interested in jumping into the world of the P3. I live in Yellowknife and travel everywhere between Inuvik, Alert, Iqaluit, and YK. I'd like to capture some of that experience with the P3, however I'd like to know more about it's functionality at high latitude.

With weak or no satellite coverage, will the drone fail safe and set itself down before complete battery failure?

At what latitude is it expected that satellite coverage is unreliable?

How often does signal loss occur and what would the consequences be if the drone is out of satellite coverage?

Will functions like point of interest be disabled if operating without GPS?

Thanks for the help!

The gps is not the issue but the compass will be unreliable as you get close to the pole. Not sure where the cutoff will be, I think you'll have to experiment. You will have to fry without gps and in ATTI mode(manual). The wind has a greater effect without gps especially on landing. The rt. function will work. You may experience an "electromagnetic interference" message. I worried about the chance of flyaway during gps flight. Not sure of the function of poi but it may be compromised without gps flight. I didn't have it on my P3A at the time. Hope this helps. I think the thing will fly ok in Yellowknife as it's quite far south. There should be others with a P3 in the area. Others may be able to fill some of the gaps in this info. Good luck.

Be sure you have the latest firmware version which is specifically for cold weather flying. Would love to see the photos!

Can you get some pics of the ice road truckers please? Haha :)

Happy flying & best wishes for 2016 EVERYONE !

(10mins away from 2016 here in the uk now)

Reactions: Oso
The gps is not the issue but the compass will be unreliable as you get close to the pole. Not sure where the cutoff will be, I think you'll have to experiment. You will have to fry without gps and in ATTI mode(manual). The wind has a greater effect without gps especially on landing. The rt. function will work. You may experience an "electromagnetic interference" message. I worried about the chance of flyaway during gps flight. Not sure of the function of poi but it may be compromised without gps flight. I didn't have it on my P3A at the time. Hope this helps. I think the thing will fly ok in Yellowknife as it's quite far south. There should be others with a P3 in the area. Others may be able to fill some of the gaps in this info. Good luck.
Yeah Yellowknife at about 62 N is going to be fine. I do a lot of flying at 63 N in Alaska, and no issues. Furthest north I've flown is at 66 N near Kotzebue and no issues at that latitude either.

Someone I know was flying in Greenland north of 70 and also reported compass issues. He said he had to fly in ATTI mode.

But Yellowknife -- no problem.

Thanks for the tips! I'll let you know how it goes once I get going!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl