Anybody with P2V+ getting more than ~1,100 feet distance???

Reaction score
On my 3rd P2V+... first two resulted in very similar distance compared to my P2V... about 1,000 feet or so.

Called DJI and they said that is odd and I should send it to them for rush testing. I did. They ended up losing my Phantom and sending me a new one, which they (allegedly) tested first before shipping to me.

Today's test flight produced same results... about 1,000 feet distance.

Weeks of testing, shipping, emails... getting a little doubtful.

All basics are covered... FCC mode, fully charged, no obstructions, antennas pointed correctly, etc.

Is anybody with a P2V+ getting 2,400 feet as advertised?? Or, anything about 1,500 feet??

Thanks!!

Re: Anybody with P2V+ getting more than ~1,100 feet distance

Are you talking about FPV cutting off at 1000? Or does your bird loses connection to the controller and starts heading home by itself at 1,000 feet?

NotMyDrone said:
Are you talking about FPV cutting off at 1000? Or does your bird loses connection to the controller and starts heading home by itself at 1,000 feet?

The latter. Radio control, not FPV. Video is fine the whole time.

And how is the RC antenna directed towards the bird ?
Do you point the tip of the V+ or the side ?

I've had my P2V+ for about 1 month now. I have taken it out to about 1300 feet (at 300 ft altitude), I chickened out at that point and brought it in closer, but I didn't experience any loss of control or FPV.

I have only lost the control signal once when I let some trees get between me and the bird (no loss of FPV though). I was relieved to see the message 'coming home' a few seconds later and to hear the buzzing sound getting louder as it flew back.

ToThePoint said:
And how is the RC antenna directed towards the bird ?
Do you point the tip of the V+ or the side ?

Side of transceiver antenna always facing the bird.

Funny you should ask -- I just did my first max range test this evening. Completely stock P2V+. I got the RTH at 2900 ft. ground range at 530 ft. altitude.

I took my new P2V+ out to the desert last weekend to try it out. Like you I had fresh batteries in the RC, bird and repeater were fully charged, flat terrain, and no obstructions. First try I lost the WiFi signal at around 1300' out. Second try I lost both WiFi and RC at 1460' out. I was expecting more, but I was so intent at not loosing sight of the bird I didn't pay much attention to the positioning of the antennas so I can't really say what my max distance is.

I usually get at least 600 meters (1968 ft) and have gotten as far as 800 meters on flat open ground far from town.
Completely stock.

What's your environment? Urban or Rural? Could it be RF interference or density?

1000ft is @300m ..seems low range. Have you tried different locations?

I can understand straight above you at that range but not straight out away from you. The flat bit of the tx antenna HAS to be lining up with the bird.

Hi
I get 900m at 70m altitude. Completely stock. Video shows correctly, but control signal lost.

Stock and RTH at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_2651.png
    IMG_2651.png
    572 KB · Views: 355

I've been out to 3600 at 60-80 feet. Clear line of sight out over the ocean.

cahutch said:
I usually get at least 600 meters (1968 ft) and have gotten as far as 800 meters on flat open ground far from town.
Completely stock.

What's your environment? Urban or Rural? Could it be RF interference or density?

It is off the beaten path in an semi-urban area. I'm about 1 mile from activity. I have tried other areas, as well. Seems weird.

I will give it another shot today. If others are getting 1600-2500 feet here, then something is up.

Thanks

drew4392 said:
cahutch said:
Completely stock.

It is off the beaten path in an semi-urban area. I'm about 1 mile from activity. I have tried other areas, as well. Seems weird.

I will give it another shot today. If others are getting 1600-2500 feet here, then something is up.

Thanks
Are you in FCC?

Sorry. Now I read you were in FCC.

Because I'm super excited... I wanted to share that I hit the 5,000 foot limit on my drone today. =D Not a single mod installed on either the drone or Tx.

Edit: I lied. I did do the aluminum tape mod for GPS. =D

I hit 1200m over sea (clear line of sight) at 30m elevation while filming a ship leaving harbour. I couldn't believe it - lost FPV, obviously, so initiated RTH by turning off the transmitter. Totally stock V+ with no mods at all. FPV range can drop with climatic contitions (low cloud, mist etc) as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl