Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Any Tips flying over water?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by toddsworld, Feb 11, 2016.

1. toddsworld

Hi everyone, I just got my Phantom 3S and haven't had the opportunity yet to fly it of any distance over 25 feet away from me due to gusty winds.

My backyard is located on a lake and I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips about how to safely fly over bodies of water.

I know I am probably over cautious, because everything I have read about the Phantom 3 tells me it pretty much flies itself.

Does anyone have any cautious advice for flying over my neighborhood and lake from my backyard?

I would love any feedback....thanks.

#1 toddsworld, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Here are my suggestions:
    • If you're planning to fly low, make sure you can see your Phantom with your eyes. I wouldn't rely on the altitude displayed in the DJI GO app. It's not always accurate.

• Attach a Getterback to the landing gear and you'll be able to retrieve your Phantom if you happen to crash while flying over the lake.

• If you're going to be shooting a lot of video/photos over the water, invest in a CP lens filter to minimize the reflection of the sun on the water.

#2 msinger, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    toddsworld likes this.
  3. SouthernPhantom

I flew over water frequently during the summer. No issues at all.

toddsworld likes this.
  4. Tony Cowan

Over water is best. But agree. Don't get to close to surface. I go very high so no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. TheRealNick

Make sure your props are tight and your battery is fully charged. I mostly fly over water, I fly back at about 50% battery. Put the voltage on the main screen and if you see it at 3.6v or lower head home...if you head back at 50% your voltage should not be that low, but if you see it could be trouble...

#5 TheRealNick, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    jointeffort likes this.
  6. jointeffort

I went 4400 over water with a few video jumps and 2 video disconnects. Video came back each time after pausing for a moment on phantom trajectory. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

7. TheFaultCraft

Not sure where you'd be flying, but be aware of foliage near the banks. I made the deadly mistake of hitting a tree and having the phantom fall into the water